your opinion of LOL

Posted By: the_mehmaster

your opinion of LOL - 06/28/09 05:33

Everyone knows the acronym LOL, it means 'laugh out loud'.

But not everyone uses it.

I personally do not like to use LOL in my posts, sounds too 'noobish' for some reason...

What is your opinion on LOL? do you use it? why?

Please share!
Posted By: Stromausfall

Re: your opinion of LOL - 06/28/09 06:34

lol
Posted By: ventilator

Re: your opinion of LOL - 06/28/09 06:43

i don't like it since i can't help reading it as a word instead of an acronym, so it sounds very daft to me. i prefer smilies.
Posted By: Machinery_Frank

Re: your opinion of LOL - 06/28/09 07:18

At my mind this is an unneeded exaggeration. I always have a picture of a nerd in front of a screen laughing out loud. And then look into these posts where they use LOL! Often there is nothing funny, not even giving you a smile but they claim to lough out loudly. Sounds unbelievable to me.
Posted By: Inestical

Re: your opinion of LOL - 06/28/09 07:47

LOL lol LoL or whatever, it's sometimes okay, but generally I don't use them.

I use smilies more.
Posted By: Cowabanga

Re: your opinion of LOL - 06/28/09 08:50

I use it often, LOL or lol. << Some people thinks that LOL means something else -.-
But i like smilies better. laugh
Posted By: alibaba

Re: your opinion of LOL - 06/28/09 08:57

i like the smilies more,too. they look much better and you can see the feeling of the others. grin

Re: your opinion of LOL - 06/28/09 09:09

I have to agree.
Smilies give a better impression of how the person is actually feeling.
It's like the difference between a smile and a smirk.

Re: your opinion of LOL - 06/28/09 09:12

as an offtopic mention, I noticed there's two 14 year olds here... Is that seriously how low level of age in 3D game creation has gone o.O

Re: your opinion of LOL - 06/28/09 09:35

Yes, i am one of the 14 year olds in this forum.
As it says in my signature:"don't underestimate me"

Taught myself c++ and directx last year, but the development process was just too slow. So i tried other free engines and found these ones:
-Irrlicht
-DarkBasic
-XNA
-Torque
-gameblender
-RADgame
-O3D
-Ogre3D
-CrystalSpace
But they were either not powerful, cost too much, or had a difficult and slow development process

But just before my 14th birthday i found lite-c. Learnt most of the language in a week (c++ experience helps greatly). This engine is BY FAR the best engine i have found on many aspects.

After 3 months of the free lite-c, i saved up for extra, and got myself WED which simplified the development process even more.

Most of my friends could never be bothered doing any of this, they're usually playing games, or listening to ipods, or watching tv...but not me(although i do watch dr who sometimes wink ).

My reason for starting so early is because i have nothing else to worry about. I'm not being mean to myself, but i don't have a life yet. I'v got no bills to pay, no university projects, no work...

I have all the time in the world for my passion:

Developing games.

Re: your opinion of LOL - 06/28/09 09:48

It's funny that when I mention a age, there's HUGE post about how good you are for your age. I was the same, though ^^

I never "underestimated" or "noobied" you. Nobody does, and never will, unless you start to make posts such as "laodalda I'm teh bst!". I just stated a fact about the age level here.

Quote:
but the development process was just too slow

Yeah, but you still needed that experience. Saw what developers go through. The hell of DirectX, which I shall never step into (thanks to the 50 character typenames..)

Quote:
Learnt most of the language in a week

No you didn't, you just grasped the basic primitives. "Learning" a language means you can do anything with it. You know the tricks, can tip up and have experience. smile

But now, we shall return to the topic.

Quote:
Smilies give a better impression of how the person is actually feeling.

Fact. I'm not fond of when people reply with "lol" and think I should understand that s/he found it amusing. I'm used to feel like "lol" is just something random written without thinking.

Re: your opinion of LOL - 06/28/09 10:02

Quote:
Learnt most of the language in a week

Yes, your right, i should not have said that. Should be more like:
Quote:
Got through all the workshops (and understood them) in a week

Anyway.. Better stick to the topic now smile
Posted By: Damocles_

Re: your opinion of LOL - 06/28/09 10:15

I would call this a grammar shift in language
of the youth culture.

Abbreviations like LoL and ROLF and the smilies
can be categorised in the same ways as expressionl like "cool".

(German examples: knorke, krass, geil)

some will vanish, some will stay in a certain age-groups.
some will get into dictionaries. (like "to google")
Posted By: FBL

Re: your opinion of LOL - 06/28/09 11:08

knorke :x

Must be some northern german slang...

Depending on the situation I use lol and/or rofl - mainly in IRC.
Posted By: sPlKe

Re: your opinion of LOL - 06/28/09 13:35

lol is in my eyes nothing more than a very short chuckle about something pathetic.
if i see or hear something pathetic, i lol at it. i even say it out loud sometimes...
Posted By: Michael_Schwarz

Re: your opinion of LOL - 06/28/09 14:43

i don't use "lol" very often in forums or in serious discussion, but in chats like MSN, ICQ or in in-game chats like in online games i use it as there is no laugh (Mrgreen is gone... well you know what i mean) smiley there, and just the letters ": D" look more like a happy face than a grin.
Posted By: Error014

Re: your opinion of LOL - 06/28/09 15:12

Quote:
knorke :x

Must be some northern german slang...

Apparently, we'll have to thank all the people of Berlin for that one (EXTREMELY reliable Wikipedia to the rescue).

Not a fan of "lol", unless ist used for cynical hilarious effect. Pro tip for debates: If you're out of counterarguments, repeat the last argument of your opponent and add "lol" (or "hurr hurr" or something) to it. They sound moronic instantly! Bonus effect: Randomly capatalize certain words, and use other internetslang.

As an example:

Quote:

LOL, Taught myself c++ and directx last year!!!!! but the development process was just too SLOW, lol!

wink
sorry.

Using it in real life is almost always incredibly awkward for everyone, though. Sorry, Spikey.

So, internet gang, what about the other abbreviations? I'm sure the cool kids have all new ones so us old folks can't understand them anymore, right?
Posted By: JibbSmart

Re: your opinion of LOL - 06/28/09 15:25

I knew I could count on you for a good lol, Error014!

I usually don't use "lol" for the same reason as most people: seems immature.

My brothers and I say "b-r-b" to each other in real life (be right back), and "b-t-w" (by the way) as well. It's really one of those things that started as a joke and turned into habit. My youngest brother will say "t-y" for thank you, and when he does I'll respond "n-p", where I'd normally say "no probs".

Jibb
Posted By: achaziel

Re: your opinion of LOL - 06/28/09 15:29

yo dawg, i herd u liek acronyms, so we put a lol inside your lol so you can laugh out loud while you laugh out loud.

what i want to say is: "lol" isn't even the worst acronym around. "lol" at least makes sense. kinda. what i personally don't get are things like "lolololololol" and stuff. you know what i mean.

but yeah. i use lol pretty often ( i guess... spike? do i? ) in msn n stuff. but i prefer smileys, though. (and no, i won't use one now, can't find one with a bored look on it's face.)

Re: your opinion of LOL - 06/28/09 16:04

I like meh.
Posted By: Dan Silverman

Re: your opinion of LOL - 06/28/09 17:22

heh.

Re: your opinion of LOL - 06/28/09 17:26

In Sweden they say: löl
Posted By: Joozey

Re: your opinion of LOL - 06/28/09 18:26

Lol has been a perfectly valid word in Dutch for hundreds of years. Earliest publication found in 1560. It means fun.

Re: your opinion of LOL - 06/28/09 19:55

Originally Posted By: Damocles_

løl?

Re: your opinion of LOL - 06/28/09 20:19

Quote:
I like meh.

So do I. It's one of my favourite words. You can use it whenever, without reason, or if you've got nothing else to say...
(that's why it's in my name grin )

Meh.

Re: your opinion of LOL - 06/28/09 21:32

No, løl is Norwegian or Danish

Re: your opinion of LOL - 06/28/09 22:23

The pronouncement of løl; "lul", as well as "lol" written in kids chattalk; "lullullullul", means "dick" in Dutch.
Often enough I find that funny.

Re: your opinion of LOL - 06/28/09 22:26

Hm. afaik ( laugh ) løl is supposed to be pronounced like löl... but might be wrong here.

Re: your opinion of LOL - 06/28/09 23:03

Isn't löl pronounced like "lul", phonetically?

Re: your opinion of LOL - 06/28/09 23:13

"löl!" is the swedish pronounciation
of ordering a beer, when the
guy is too drunk to say
"ge mig en öl!"
Posted By: sPlKe

Re: your opinion of LOL - 06/29/09 00:05

yes achaziel, you do..
i cringed at the spikey... thats one thing i hate.. cutening a word by adding a y or something like that...
you know whan your comic book/book7movie writer is an idiot when he does that...
words like totally or whatdiddy or whatever in every sentence...

oh and in sweden its its pronounced lorle...
the o is pronunced like in score...

Re: your opinion of LOL - 06/29/09 12:04

Originally Posted By: Damocles_

That's what we use here in finland too, for comical touch laugh

Originally Posted By: Joozey

Nope, ö is pronounced normally, like in german language the "möbel".
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: your opinion of LOL - 06/29/09 12:59

Originally Posted By: Joozey

It's 'leul' .. but that sounds close enough anyway. wink

( phonetically 'lul' in german would sound like 'loel' to us too by the way. )
Posted By: badapple

Re: your opinion of LOL - 06/29/09 14:17

i like lol if your really laughing about something funny , but i do not like people who use lol after every other word they type
Posted By: LordMoggy

Re: your opinion of LOL - 06/29/09 15:06

i have another meaning for lol -> lick o lick baby wink

Re: your opinion of LOL - 06/29/09 21:31

Originally Posted By: sPlKe
lol is in my eyes nothing more than a very short chuckle about something pathetic.
if i see or hear something pathetic, i lol at it. i even say it out loud sometimes...

I totally a agree and same here. For me it definitely doesn't have the literal meaning of 'laughing out loud', but rather 'it made me smile'. I very much doubt it still has the literal meaning of laughing out loud for most people, as it would be stupid to constantly say.

It's sort of similar to this smiley smile or laugh . Indicating you're having a good time, sort of. Or if something was pathetically lame, respond to it.

I don't know if I use it often or not, but I do think I prefer smileys. But in chatboxes I definitely use lol too, as it's equally as stupid to post a dozen smileys in one line too. :p

Re: your opinion of LOL - 06/29/09 21:35

One more thing.. people often underestimate the importance of adding smileys or even 'lol' to a post though, as words can easily be misunderstood if you're assuming someone isn't laughing when he was in fact laughing or vice versa.

It has little to do with childish behavior, but more with clarity... Same rules apply as in real life, some one who's smileys 24/7 can't be taken seriously nor trusted, same goes for chat conversations or comments on a forum.
© 2024 lite-C Forums