Sound design experience

Posted By: the_mehmaster

Sound design experience - 07/16/09 09:25

(posted here because i don't think it's up to the standard of the 'jobs' forum)
Sound design experience is what i am after. I have been making sounds for about 2 months and would like to improve my skills.

Post here with a sound you would like made, and i will reply with a download link in OGG or MP3, depending on what format you would like.

I do pretty much anything. Electronic, organic etc. I live on a farm, where many sounds are waiting to be sampled!

Sample post (if you would like your sound made, please follow):
Originally Posted By: client
SOUND REQUEST:
A brief sword 'clang' sound.
LENGTH OF SOUND:
Half a second.
FORMAT(MP3, OGG, WAV):
OGG
ADDITIONAL NOTES:
I would like the sound to be quite 'sharp'.
FILE NAME:
sword_hit.ogg

And i will reply with a download link. Note that these links will probably only be valid a week, so be sure to download it if you want it.

Everything is free, as this is purely for experience.

I cannot guarantee anything. Please do not get angry with me if your post does not get answered(although it probably will be answered). If you do not like your sound and want it redone, or you LOVE your sound, send me a PM.

1 rule:
I am not superhuman. After 5 sound requests without a reply, stop posting until i give a reply.

Looking forward to your requests! smile

[EDIT]Expect results in a day or 2 from posting.
Posted By: the_clown

Re: Sound design experience - 07/16/09 09:34

SOUND REQUEST:
Short Door opening sound, of a rusty metal door.
LENGTH OF SOUND:
As long as a door needs to open (approx. 5 seconds).
FORMAT(MP3, OGG, WAV):
WAV
ADDITIONAL NOTES:
Should sound like the door hasn't been opened for a while (rusty).
FILE NAME:
rusty_open.wav
Posted By: Joozey

Re: Sound design experience - 07/16/09 11:33

Sound request:

SOUND REQUEST:
A harbor dock with squeeking wood and ocean waves, loop-able.

LENGTH OF SOUND:
About 10 seconds

FORMAT(MP3, OGG, WAV):
OGG

ADDITIONAL NOTES:
If 10 seconds is not enough to make a nice non-repeating loop, feel free to make longer.

FILE NAME:
harbor.ogg

grin
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: Sound design experience - 07/16/09 13:34

Quote:
If 10 seconds is not enough to make a nice non-repeating loop, feel free to make longer.

Monkey Island had some very simple but convincing harbor sounds. Screeching sea gulls. Waves. Some horns / bells kind of sounds that seemed to be influenced by the wind in a more random manner.

The good part was that it was extremely loopable and still very short. I'm guessing sound quality-wise the midi files will sound outdated now. I'm curious to see what meh_master will be able to pull of here though.

Re: Sound design experience - 07/16/09 22:01

Almost finished harbor.ogg..

How i did it:
Since i do not live near the coast, I had to use my 'sound bank' for the waves' sound(Mixed 5 different waves together). I mixed this with splashes in our pond, and an old cow bell. Sounds pretty good so far.. Still got to do the creaking wood.

rusty_open.wav:
Not sure whether to do more of a 'squeaky' sound, or a 'scraping' one. Suggestions?

Re: Sound design experience - 07/16/09 23:13

Oh that sounds awesome mehmaster! I thought I was asking too much here. You've impressed me already laugh

Re: Sound design experience - 07/16/09 23:18

Ok, here's 'harbor.ogg':
harbor.ogg
For some reason it sounds 'incomplete'. Listen to it and tell me what i can do to improve it. Got rid of the cow bell, sounds really bad with it.

[EDIT]The creaking wood is actually a rusty spring and old hacksaw being dragged across a plank of termite-infested wood.
Sound design has is peculiarities.. smile

Re: Sound design experience - 07/16/09 23:36

Oh cool laugh The sounds themselves are very nice.

Well, the seaguls sound like they're going by for a split second and then quickly vanish. Perhaps it's more wise to add the seaguls as a separate soundfile, and make them vanish less fast... maybe add a second soundfile with another variation of seaguls?

The loop is kinda repetitive (though not that bad, really). I understand that this is a very hard thing to fix. Like with the seaguls, a second file with a loop that transits to and from this one could be of help, but maybe that's too much work for you.

But this sounds nice so far ^^ great job!

Re: Sound design experience - 07/16/09 23:49

Thankssmile
I'll attempt to make it more 'loopable', and make the seagulls audible all the way through.
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: Sound design experience - 07/17/09 15:16

You should keep seagulls separated from that harbor loop, unless you're going to have it looped for a few minutes before the seagull sound kicks in, otherwise you will start to notice the seagull sounds at regular intervals, which sounds bad.
smile

So far so good though.

Re: Sound design experience - 07/17/09 22:19

Good idea, I'll do that.
Posted By: the_clown

Re: Sound design experience - 07/18/09 08:01

Originally Posted By: the_mehmaster
Almost finished harbor.ogg..

rusty_open.wav:
Not sure whether to do more of a 'squeaky' sound, or a 'scraping' one. Suggestions?

Squeaky please.
Posted By: darkinferno

Re: Sound design experience - 07/18/09 08:20

Sound request:

SOUND REQUEST:
a loud sound like a bullet hitting metal

LENGTH OF SOUND:
really short as its just a sample

FORMAT(MP3, OGG, WAV):
WAV

ADDITIONAL NOTES:
i know i can find some off the net but theyre not very loud, i want it to sound real loud yet still know its a bullet impact, no idea how you would do this... i do hope you can though

FILE NAME:
ricochet.wav

Re: Sound design experience - 07/18/09 08:32

I think i'll distribute sounds in .zips of 5. Ill wait for another 2 requests and then distribute all the sounds in one post.

[EDIT]
Originally Posted By: darkinferno
no idea how you would do this... i do hope you can though

I'll come up with something, who knows how.. I've got an old metal shed. Maybe i'll start throwing rocks at it! smile

Re: Sound design experience - 07/19/09 08:11

Originally Posted By: me
I think i'll distribute sounds in .zips of 5. Ill wait for another 2 requests and then distribute all the sounds in one post.

Nah.. I'll just submit them now:

@darkinferno: ricochet.wav
A metal pipe being hit by a rock, mixed with a slinky struck with thick wire.

@the_clown: rusty_open.wav
A door from my existing sound bank mixed with an old metal shed's squeaky door.

@joozey: I'm really sorry.. Can't find a decent loopable seagull sound. I'll keep trying though..

@everyone who's recieved a sound:
Send your criticism/encouragement/whatever via PM. Makes it easier to manage this thread.
© 2024 lite-C Forums