Which one looks better?

Posted By: Slin

Which one looks better? - 07/25/10 00:22

In the following are two screenshots of some iPhone game I am currently working on. They have different amounts of detail and some objects donīt fit very well to the terrain on the first one. Just ignore that and basicly just focus on the terrains coloring.

Which one do you like more?

1:

2:

I already know which one I prefer, the one responsible for the graphics has another opinion, or at least isnīt as sure as I am, so I just want to make sure if there is some clear answer to this wink.
Posted By: EvilSOB

Re: Which one looks better? - 07/25/10 00:33

Ive voted two, but its a tricky one.

Number Two looks better, but the overall brightness leaves it feeling kind-of "washed-out"

Number One has good brightness-contrast, and better looking color, but the lack of fine-detail
makes it feel kind-of "out-of-focus".

Number two is far better overall IMHO.

PS: be sure to let us know which one 'wins'...

Posted By: Captain_Kiyaku

Re: Which one looks better? - 07/25/10 00:57

I like number 1 more.

The colors are so much more friendly and doesn't look so ... sad.

I miss the road in the first one though but i still like it more.
The skybox is better too in number one.
Posted By: mk_1

Re: Which one looks better? - 07/25/10 02:36

colors of no 1 are warmer, I like it more
Posted By: FoxZero

Re: Which one looks better? - 07/25/10 02:45

Number 2 seems more natural to me, so I picked that one.
Posted By: badapple

Re: Which one looks better? - 07/25/10 03:48

i think number 1 , but like the captian , i miss the road.
never the less i voted 1
Posted By: alibaba

Re: Which one looks better? - 07/25/10 07:51

I also voted for 1, because it has more contrast and the color looks better.
Posted By: sPlKe

Re: Which one looks better? - 07/25/10 08:36

since some poeple DONT READ let me refrain:

ITS JUST ABCOUT THE COLORS!

in that case, take number 1 because its good color...
Posted By: WretchedSid

Re: Which one looks better? - 07/25/10 09:08

Number two looks imo better.
Posted By: Superku

Re: Which one looks better? - 07/25/10 10:56

I don't like the green colour at all in the first screen, it reminds me of some green moulding material my mother used to have in her basement.
Posted By: Toast

Re: Which one looks better? - 07/25/10 12:54

I prefer number 2. The first one has too much yellow in the grass tone...
Posted By: Sajeth

Re: Which one looks better? - 07/25/10 13:23

Number 2 looks very professional and worked out, number 1 looks more like some quickly made placeholders wink
Posted By: Tempelbauer

Re: Which one looks better? - 07/25/10 13:32

i prefer number 2 too laugh
Posted By: Machinery_Frank

Re: Which one looks better? - 07/25/10 13:32

Posted By: Rondidon

Re: Which one looks better? - 07/25/10 14:14

1, far better colors and style. Great contrast, good skybox. But I miss the road and a horizon with more mountains. laugh
2 looks imho like .. a computer game with typical washed colors like in late 90s. wink

Re: Which one looks better? - 07/25/10 14:53

To quote spike:
Originally Posted By: sPlKe
since some poeple DONT READ let me refrain:

ITS JUST ABCOUT THE COLORS!

laugh

The second one is closer to the real colors, while the first is quite a bit away from those. The way would of course get into the first one as well as some more details.
I just took that second screenshot yesterday and accidently saw it next to the other, older one and thought that I liked the more colorfull one more. After looking at them some more now, I am not as sure anymore and think that we will try to find some way inbetween, which should then hopefully work perfect.
But please let your ideas come, as there have already been some helpfull ones.

Edit: The skybox is btw just temporary until weīve got something better. The first one had seems on the borders, as you can see on the first screenshot, which are the reason for me using that other one now.
Posted By: Pappenheimer

Re: Which one looks better? - 07/25/10 15:34

IMO, it makes no sense to speak about the colors of the landscapes without a skybox, because it is all about the balance between the colors of the view as a whole.
F.i. a skybox with a sun that gives the sky an orange touch would make the colors of the green absolutely fitting.
After choosing a skybox you could have to adjust all colors again.
IMO, it is to early to discuss the "fine-tuning" of the colors, you have to adjust them at the end of everything.

Re: Which one looks better? - 07/25/10 16:06

Well, it doesnīt really matter if we make the skybox fit the terrain, or the terrain fit the skybox, does it? And the game will be mostly top down, so that the skybox really isnīt important here.
I also think that it does make sense to already think about the colors, as repainting and readjusting and whatever all textures in the end, will be even more work otherwize.

Re: Which one looks better? - 07/25/10 16:30

I don't know the workflow of an iphone game, but generally spoken, it makes sense that every asset can be adjusted separately until the last touch at the game.
In case that the skins are separated from the models, it shouldn't be much effort to adjust hue, saturation and brightness.

Nonetheless, I'm very curious what sort of game this will be and how it finally looks.
Posted By: mk_1

Re: Which one looks better? - 07/25/10 16:34

Shepherd Simulator 2010

Re: Which one looks better? - 07/25/10 16:46

Originally Posted By: mk_1
Shepherd Simulator 2010

No, as 2010 will most probably be over when this game is finished tongue

Re: Which one looks better? - 07/25/10 17:47

as someone who actually lives somewhere where mountains and the likes are used, ie. the alps, let me tell you again that number 1 has better colors, more accurate colors and, in fact, doesnt look like a bland washed out N64 texture.

and although i love the N64, its still better to use the first green and not the second. if you would think otherwise, you surely wouldnt have posted here. but do yourself a favour and believe people who actually have some idea what they are talking about. frank, for example, is one of the most trustworthy people i know when it comes to colors and graphics. why not trust him?
Posted By: ventilator

Re: Which one looks better? - 07/25/10 18:05

i like the second one a lot more. tongue it looks much more natural. the poll results say the same.

the first one is too yellow. maybe it would be ok at sunset.

but just trust your own opinion. the results here probably also are bit useless since no monitor is calibrated the same way and 10% of all male are more or less colorblind with many of them not even noticing. laugh
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: Which one looks better? - 07/25/10 19:45

The second one is better, but really only because it features that road. The first one looks a bit odd with a green road.

Other than that the colors of the first look best, but the green road just ruins the entire impression of that scene. It instantly feels wrong.

Re: Which one looks better? - 07/25/10 20:24

ITS JUST ABOUT THE COLORS!!!
Posted By: Lukas

Re: Which one looks better? - 07/25/10 20:27

In the poll, I voted for number 2, but I didn't realize that it's just about the colors. In this case, I change my vote from 2 to 1.
Posted By: Captain_Kiyaku

Re: Which one looks better? - 07/25/10 20:36

Spike, even if it's just about the colors, details like the skybox and the missing road makes the scene and colors in it look different too.

If the road would be in picture number one as well, the colors would look more interesting.

Just saying, it's hard to just look at the colors if the pictures are different (different animals, different road, different skybox).

Even though i voted for #1.

Re: Which one looks better? - 07/25/10 21:30

ITS JUST ABOUT THE COLORS!!!

Originally Posted By: Slin
In the following are two screenshots of some iPhone game I am currently working on. They have different amounts of detail and some objects donīt fit very well to the terrain on the first one. Just ignore that and basicly just focus on the terrains coloring.

Which one do you like more?

1:

2:

I already know which one I prefer, the one responsible for the graphics has another opinion, or at least isnīt as sure as I am, so I just want to make sure if there is some clear answer to this wink.

So what! grin tongue

These things with colors are absolutely bullshit!
No need to worry about that before finishing the project. Seriously.
There is no independent property of a color, it always depends on the appearance of the colors and light around it.

as someone who actually lives somewhere where mountains and the likes are used, ie. the alps, let me tell you again that number 1 has better colors, more accurate colors and,

smirk ...sheer nonsense! - if the alps are not on mars, but on earth these colors change depending the day time, weather, clouds and time of the year, and grow of the different plants (and the soil beneath them) as in any landscape of the world, too. tongue
Posted By: FoxZero

Re: Which one looks better? - 07/25/10 22:42

Honestly colors change with lighting so I would go with the more muted one, ie the second one. That is how I made my decision.

To be honest neither color looks great to me so I chose the one that looked less cartoony.

Re: Which one looks better? - 07/26/10 07:23

Originally Posted By: Pappenheimer

smirk ...sheer nonsense! - if the alps are not on mars, but on earth these colors change depending the day time, weather, clouds and time of the year, and grow of the different plants (and the soil beneath them) as in any landscape of the world, too. tongue

look whos talking tongue

thats simply not true. because, and this is a little explanation:
over here, the earth has a very specific amount of minerals and such. also, ususally the weather circumstances do not vary that much. let me tell you that on the "alm(dont know the english word" the grass usually alyways looks the same, with the same color, simply because the circumstanecs of the grass growing, getting eaten by cows ect dont vary that much during the years. you can clearly see that if you visit those places.

to back up my claims, take a look at those random google pics:

[img]http://blog.austria.info/static/austriainfo/images/Salzburger-Alm.jpg[/img]

if you look at the names, youc an clearly see that those pics are from diffferent places.
i dont want to sound rude or anyhting, but i lived ehre for my entire life. i see such things every year, and little changes at those places. i also think its important to get the color of the terrain right from the start, because you need a control. a control that tells you what color palette to use. those things are important.

i wont post here anymore because i know some people will find ways to know things better. but all in all, its Slin's project and he must know what to do. cant do anymore for him in that regard.

i now stop caring and watch desperate housewives.
Posted By: ventilator

Re: Which one looks better? - 07/26/10 09:46

i think there is no right and wrong here. tongue

the longer the shadows, the more yellow gets mixed in and the the longer the distance to the pastures, the more blue gets mixed in which makes them a little turquoise.

i think on slins images the sky is very important like pappenheimer mentioned. on the first one the sky doesn't really fit very well.
Posted By: Machinery_Frank

Re: Which one looks better? - 07/26/10 12:04

I find Spike's images very interesting. They are more similar to image 1. And while image 1 indeed looked a bit more cartoony it seems that it also is more realistic according to these images.

But in the end both images are cartoony. Both are very simplified in terms of colors and details.
© 2024 lite-C Forums