BSOD after upgrading.

Posted By: Cowabanga

BSOD after upgrading. - 01/17/11 17:12

Hello,

I upgraded my PC from Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 7 Pro, using Windows anytime upgrade.
It installed everything successfully, but when it restarted, I got the sweet sweet BSOD, which says:

"Windows did not find any installed, licensed language packs for the system default UI language.
*** STOP: 0x0000012A (0x0000000000000001, 0x0000000000000046, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000"

I used the startup repair tool, repaired the boot, still same problem. No I don't have system restore points, and I don't want to format.
I didn't change the English language pack, and didn't do anything. Just upgraded.
I'm unable to access safemode, and I chkdsk'd the drive.

What to do now.
Posted By: Toast

Re: BSOD after upgrading. - 01/17/11 17:21

Well the latest Windows patch is known to cause that error. The solution is to boot in safemode and uninstall it. What happens for you when trying to boot in safemode?

Re: BSOD after upgrading. - 01/17/11 17:50

Originally Posted By: Toast
Well the latest Windows patch is known to cause that error. The solution is to boot in safemode and uninstall it. What happens for you when trying to boot in safemode?

Same problem, shows the "Starting Windows" sentence, then after around 2 seconds it shows the bluescreen for 1 second.
Posted By: Quad

Re: BSOD after upgrading. - 01/17/11 19:40

download windows 7 language pack thing and install that too.

Re: BSOD after upgrading. - 01/17/11 19:47

Originally Posted By: Quadraxas
download windows 7 language pack thing and install that too.

How am I supposed to install it if I can't even access Windows.

Re: BSOD after upgrading. - 01/17/11 19:55

it installs like windows installation, you boot from the cd and install

Re: BSOD after upgrading. - 01/17/11 20:27

it installs like windows installation, you boot from the cd and install

I see, will try that out. Thanks.

EDIT: Googled that like a maniac, couldn't find something like this.

Re: BSOD after upgrading. - 01/18/11 05:04

Hmmm.. I got that one from msdnaa unfortunately it's a personal license so i cannot share that with you.

If you are sure you have right languages already installed, try that registry fixer thing. I do not remember exactly but you boot with cd go to repair mode, fire up the console insert some disc and apply fixes. Checj microsoft support sites.

Re: BSOD after upgrading. - 01/18/11 09:04

Hmmm.. I got that one from msdnaa unfortunately it's a personal license so i cannot share that with you.

If you are sure you have right languages already installed, try that registry fixer thing. I do not remember exactly but you boot with cd go to repair mode, fire up the console insert some disc and apply fixes. Checj microsoft support sites.

Yes, I wrote a thread on the Microsoft forum and apparently they have poor support.

Hmm, will try the registry fixer, thanks.

Re: BSOD after upgrading. - 01/18/11 11:17

Okey, nothing worked.

Anybody knows a way to backup programs and their registries only?

Re: BSOD after upgrading. - 01/18/11 13:53

why not, rather than backing up programs just backup your data, format, reinstall windows and programs then restore your data/work?

get a live linux distro boot then backup.
try parted magic live cd.

Re: BSOD after upgrading. - 01/19/11 09:06

Yes, I'm using Live@ Boot CD. But too lazy to install apps again, so I want to copy their registries + my data and programs.
I just want to know in which folder the program registries are located at.
Posted By: Redeemer

Re: BSOD after upgrading. - 01/20/11 16:11

C:\WINDOWS?
Posted By: Ayrus

Re: BSOD after upgrading. - 01/20/11 19:40

The registry hive is kinda an interesting beast in and of itself. There really isn't a set "file" that you could copy to backup your registry. What you need to do is boot into a DOS prompt and run reg.exe. It is a commandline tool for editing the registry and is located in C:\Windows\System32 on windows7. Using this tool, you may be able to export your entire registry to a file. For some more info on it, you can check this link out: http://www.computerhope.com/reg.htm

They give a good breakdown on working with Reg.exe.

Regards,
Ayrus
© 2024 lite-C Forums