What are you working on?

Posted By: Rei_Ayanami

What are you working on? - 07/28/11 16:52

Hey grin

This is thethread for all project that are NOT done with Gamestudio!

Website I am working on laugh

C&C are welcome laugh

Regards,
Rei
Posted By: Lukas

Re: What are you working on? - 07/28/11 17:58

That's a Java console output.
Going to be a CAS. The left terms are an output of the internal representation of the terms, thus all the unnecessary brackets. The right one is supposed to be the final output for the user. For some reason it still shows some unnecessary brackets, theoretically they should be gone, but at least it doesn't leave out any necessary brackets.
Sorting the addends is not yet really implemented, there is just a stub function that at least uses an unambiguous sorting method, so equivalent terms should be the same.
Posted By: Michael_Schwarz

Re: What are you working on? - 07/28/11 18:28

www.youtube.com/Pretzelcast
Posted By: Redeemer

Re: What are you working on? - 07/28/11 23:28

My WIP 3D Engine:

Click to reveal..

Click to reveal..

Click to reveal..

Click to reveal..

This is a software renderer, meaning I did all of the 3D math myself. A floating point precision error is the cause of the texture distortion in those shots... yeah, I'll kill that bug eventually, most likely when I switch to fixed-point mathematics...

I'm working with a few artists to make a game out of this. Maybe I'll finish it in a few years if I'm lucky.

By the by, anyone who doubts my programming ability after reading the "bash grunts" thread should take the collision code in my engine for a ride... seriously. Unlike GS, this stuff works.
Posted By: Superku

Re: What are you working on? - 07/28/11 23:44

Quote:
Unlike GS, this stuff works.

And again, the GS collision system works just fine. If you dislike the behaviour of the GLIDE flag, you can write your own GLIDE-movement with 2 (or more) c_move calls.

Re: What are you working on? - 07/29/11 03:12

Quote:
you can write your own GLIDE-movement with 2 (or more) c_move calls.

True, but I'm still not satisfied knowing I have to pamper the system by creating invisible blocks over a minor incline in order to get decent results... I mean, I used to use Valve Hammer Editor all the time and I never had to do anything like this. The collision engine worked great no matter what situation I put it in.
Posted By: lostclimate

Re: What are you working on? - 07/29/11 04:46

why a software renderer? just for experience? are you going to eventually switch to something hw accel'd?

Re: What are you working on? - 07/29/11 13:51

Just for experience. Almost anyone can make a hardware renderer with OpenGL nowadays, it's been made so easy. Programming a Quake equivalent with OpenGL today would mostly involve designing data structures and writing tools. My project allows me to get down to a really low level and do it all myself, and I really like that.

In fact since I've started this project my knowledge of computer programming has expanded dramatically in all directions. I've learned so much about 3D math, assembler, advanced C techniques (function pointers ftw), caching, the floating point unit, the MMX unit, and more in just a year. I love this kind of programming.
Posted By: PadMalcom

Re: What are you working on? - 07/29/11 14:39

Where do you get your knowledge from? And can we look into your code? laugh I'm really interested in that kind of programming.
Posted By: JibbSmart

Re: What are you working on? - 07/29/11 14:46

Keep it up, Redeemer! That's awesome. As I learned more and more about shaders, quaternions and matrices, I really wanted to write a software renderer (although I wasn't going to aim for real-time). I just never tried it.

I'm looking forward to playing the game!

Jibb

Re: What are you working on? - 07/29/11 16:04

Thanks for the encouragement guys! In all honesty though the engine isn't truly 3D. Internally it works more along the lines of Doom. As I learn more I'll probably get more ambitious and write a real 3D software renderer like Quake, but until then this is the pinnacle of my programming prowess.

Quote:
Where do you get your knowledge from?

There isn't any one large source of information I reference. Aside from some introductory books, I've had no formal programming education on any of these subjects. I got started in software rendering when a great guy called Robert Rodgers taught me how to write a very simple Wolf3D clone (no wall/floor textures, just big colored cubes). From then on my greatest resource was the Ken Silverman (Build engine author) forum, where a handful of people like myself would exchange different ideas. But now that that's closed, I haven't the slightest idea where you'd go for help...

Quote:
And can we look into your code?

Soon...

Re: What are you working on? - 07/29/11 17:25

gameinstitute.com has there 3d programming packages. I finished about 3 quarters of it, but the first half teaches you all the underlying math to write your own software renderer before it dives into directx. I didnt retain much because I havent had time to really go through the examples, but even still i learned a lot to the point where i can sort of "paraphrase" (not really the right word) how to do just about any theoretical step. just havent done it myself yet. (i did a couple examples, but then left it at that.)
Posted By: WretchedSid

Re: What are you working on? - 08/10/11 16:21

Well, I guess I don't have to explain this screenshot as its pretty self explaining.

Re: What are you working on? - 08/10/11 16:26

So you're either making a generic level editor for tile-based games or you're making a level editor for a particular tile-based game.

Re: What are you working on? - 08/10/11 16:55

Its actually a bit more like the RPG Maker but for iOS games. Except that it isn't limited like the RPG maker and will also support things like isometric maps etc. Plus its able to run native Objective-C code and such things.

Btw, Happy Birthday!
Posted By: Hummel

Re: What are you working on? - 08/12/11 16:56

My very first piece of pixel art:

I´m quite happy with the result. laugh
Posted By: 3run

Re: What are you working on? - 08/12/11 17:19

Wow, that looks perfect! Is it your really first time drawing pixel stuff, aren't you hide anything? grin Cause it's too great for the first time laugh BTW, what program you've used to draw it?

Re: What are you working on? - 08/12/11 17:29

yup, was my first after reading some tuts. I used gimp.

Re: What are you working on? - 08/12/11 19:04

yes def. great for even a 10th piece laugh although after your shader background and experience doing other stuff, i assume its a lot easier to notice little details to make it look nice than if you had just started game design.

Re: What are you working on? - 08/12/11 22:09

Not bad, but the blade looks more like foam/plastic than steel. Try adding some bright light reflections to one side of the blade.
Posted By: alpha_strike

Re: What are you working on? - 08/13/11 08:03

I like to play with after effects
[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJPBWAl7Paw[/video]

now with sound and cam pov

Re: What are you working on? - 08/13/11 09:15

..you removed your vid? (or it is not opened to the puplic atm)

Re: What are you working on? - 08/13/11 09:27

I uploaded a version with sound fx ... sorry for the dealy

Re: What are you working on? - 08/13/11 09:34

really nice
(though, i wasnt sure in the first moments if it was a real life video or a game-vid)
Posted By: Harry Potter

Re: What are you working on? - 08/13/11 09:48

Originally Posted By: alpha_strike
I like to play with after effects

Alpha, your video reminds me of a video that I made many years ago. I think it was in 1986?!
In this video I also had a decapitation scene. But without any computer graphics (it was the time of Commodore-64 computers).

Now I have transferred this very old video (Video-8 tape) to my computer.
Here it is:
Download Video (22,8 MB)

And some pictures:

My film should have been a parody of Star Trek and Star Wars. But it was never finished.
This video is only a short compilation of the best scenes.
All models, the special effects, the bridge of the 'Enterprise', the remote-controlled 'R2D2', etc., I had created myself.
In the role of James T. Kork you can see me - 25 years ago. grin

Re: What are you working on? - 08/13/11 10:34

@lostclimate: Indeed.
@Redeemer: I tried, but failed. tongue

Re: What are you working on? - 08/13/11 11:29

@potter:
Before I start filming on vhs, I used to film on super 8 and 16 mm. For my splatter effects, I used nose putty, and som self mixed blood (coffe / ketchup)... but I never took the time to convert all this shit to cd. These days I am quite amused about all the new possibilities (digital cuts / after effects). But it is always the same...without feeling you can have the best programs - the result looks like the mass on youtube.

btw... I updated the version above and added a cam pov
Posted By: Espér

Re: What are you working on? - 08/13/11 11:51

my Rpg-maker XP Project "Enchanted Melodies"

This is a Testscreen for the Well
(Screen has no lightmap, Shadowmap and Blurmap):

Re: What are you working on? - 08/13/11 15:58

Harry Potter, I'm keen to see your video but could you upload it in another format? I'm not looking forward to downloading 100 MB of data to see a 5-10 minute long video. wink

Re: What are you working on? - 08/13/11 21:56

Originally Posted By: Redeemer
Harry Potter, I'm keen to see your video but could you upload it in another format?

Download Video (22,8 MB - MPEG4) wink

Re: What are you working on? - 08/14/11 14:17

Small User Interface update of my project:

While it might just look like a user interface change, under the hood almost everything has changed. I'm pretty proud of it so far and I also start to like the UI.

Re: What are you working on? - 08/15/11 17:28

Beware, it's german.

http://frische-gmbh.de/
Posted By: HeelX

Re: What are you working on? - 08/15/11 22:41

Originally Posted By: Rei_Ayanami
Beware, it's german.

http://frische-gmbh.de/

Ich würde die Anreden groß schreiben..

Re: What are you working on? - 08/15/11 22:58

Schlag ich vor, Texte sind nicht von mir.
Posted By: TechMuc

Re: What are you working on? - 08/15/11 23:02

The logo is ugly laugh but probably you do not have any influence on it..
Posted By: Joey

Re: What are you working on? - 08/16/11 02:21

If that was the case, I'd probably design the page around the logo. It looks like an out-of-the-box standard design.

Re: What are you working on? - 08/16/11 13:45

@TechMuc, yep.
@Joey, I showed "them" my design, they liked it. What else?
Posted By: Joey

Re: What are you working on? - 08/16/11 15:55

wink it's ok, I didn't say it was ugly.

Re: What are you working on? - 08/16/11 15:59

That was no offensive by me, just sayin laugh

Re: What are you working on? - 08/16/11 16:00

Die Seite sieht schön aus. Gefällt mir. Negativ ist aber, dass ich mir anhand des Designs keinen Bezug zu einem Sanitär / Rohr / Heizungs-Betrieb herleiten kann.

Mercedes Benz hat gerade so eine Kampagne laufen für Nutzfahrzeuge. Sie titulieren den Radiospot als „wir sind die Macher“, lassen einen Typen mit ziemlich rauer Stimme sprechen und im Hintergrund singt so ein Typ den Titel. Obwohl ich mit Benz etwas ganz anderes assoziiere – war dieser Spot sofort erkennbar auf die Zielgruppe der Handwerker zugeschnitten.

Re: What are you working on? - 08/16/11 16:20

Da hast du Recht, doch hatte(und habe) ich wirklich keine Ahnung wie man so einen
Bezug herstellen sollte. Ich bin vorher ein wenig auf der Suche gewesen um zu
sehen wie andere das machen, aber das ging teilweise garnicht. Darum habe ich
mich an etwa simples/nicht allzu viel aussagendes, aber dafür halt auch
vielfaltigeres(in Sachen anpassbarkeit) Design entschieden.

Re: What are you working on? - 08/16/11 20:07

vielleicht sollte man mal ein Konzept für solche Sachen entwickeln.
Wenn ich an Mechanik, Rohleitungen, Heizung denke, dann kommen mir rein farblich sehr dunkle, rötliche Töne, vielleicht auch rostige Töne durch den Kopf.
Von den Formen, sehe ich Linearität mit rundlichen Biegungen (so wie z.B. Wasserleitungen verlaufen)... anhand von solchen Schlüsselmerkmalen würde ich den Einstieg suchen. Dieser klare blau-grüne Wassertropfen, der erinnert mich eher an Reinheit, spirituelles Handeln... also nichts elementares.
Posted By: FBL

Re: What are you working on? - 08/16/11 21:27

Rohrleitungen sind sicher nicht verkehrt.

Wassertropfen...blau...grün... --> Sanifair wäre meine erste Assoziation

Re: What are you working on? - 08/16/11 21:31

Das Wassertropfenbild war ein ausdrücklicher Wunsch, sowie die Farbe, ich fand das zu kitschig, auch wenn es nicht das richtige Wort dafür ist.

Re: What are you working on? - 08/17/11 07:46

Originally Posted By: Firoball
Wassertropfen...blau...grün... --> Sanifair wäre meine erste Assoziation

Mich erinnert es an SAP.
Im SAP-GUI gab es rechts oben auch so ein animiertes Wassertropfenbild, das sozusagen die selbe Funktion wie ein Sanduhr-Mauszeiger hatte (siehe Bild).
Im neuen SAP-GUI gibt es das allerdings nicht mehr.

Re: What are you working on? - 08/17/11 08:03

Der untere Teil der Seite sieht schon recht professionell aus. Aber irgendwie passt der obere Teil (das Logo und der weiße Hintergrund) nicht so ganz dazu.

Am Logo selbst wird man natürlich nichts ändern können.
Was ich aber verändern würde:
1.) Die Rundung vom Logo sieht zu pixelig aus. Hier wäre etwas mehr Antialiasing angebracht. Vor allem gibt es da in der Mitte des Bogens einen Pixel, der irgendwie "aus der Reihe tanzt".
2.) Der weiße Hintergrund vom Logo-Balken sieht etwas langweilig aus. Hier wäre vielleicht ein Farbverlauf von weiß nach grau besser (oben weiß, unten grau). Die gelbe Schrift würde sich vor einem grauen Hintergrund auch besser hervorheben als vor dem weißen Hintergrund.
3.) Eventuell könnte man auch die Farben vom Logo ein kleines bisschen blasser machen. Dann würden sie besser zum Rest der Seite passen. Vor allem das intensive Blau sticht negativ hervor.

Im unteren Bereich würde ich die Schriftfarbe im Titelbalken (blaue Schrift vor hellblauem Hintergrund) etwas dunkler machen. Damit es besser lesbar wird.

Re: What are you working on? - 08/19/11 11:18

This is a uni-project for a course about automatic text summarization. In the end, a text is processed with lexical chains to determine the low- to high-level topics. Sentences which are covered by the highest rated chains will then be extracted.

Currently, I split the text into sentences & tokenize it. Then, for each token a part-of-speech tag is estimated, like, this is a noun, a noun in plural, a verb, etc. Then, the lemma for each token is produced, so that if I have e.g. a noun in plural, I get the correct singular form for easier and more robust processing later on (e.g: trees->tree, geese->goose). If a word is bold, it is equivalent to its lemma, if not, the lemma is attached after the POS-tag in small and italics.

In the screenshot I filtered only nouns, because nouns are my starting points for creating the lexical chains.
Posted By: Germanunkol

Re: What are you working on? - 08/19/11 15:35

Looking forward to the outcome. I've been talking to a friend about exactly this type of program just yesterday and about how I heard of a guy who'd tried it but who I don't think ever succeeded. Hope you do!

Re: What are you working on? - 10/16/11 19:54

Still working on that editor thingie... Overworked the UI again and also implemented editors for other file types:

(Well... it can display images. Thinking about adding a normal map generation options)

(plain text files work too)

(and rich text files obviously too)

Re: What are you working on? - 10/16/11 22:42

Load all senses from WordNet, derive sense bags from WordNet gloss, add cues from compounds in sense bags, merge interrelated WordNet senses, merge senses which create superior homogenous sense bags, boost with semantic ConceptNet concepts ... DONE. Step 1 finished.
Posted By: mk_1

Re: What are you working on? - 10/19/11 16:59

Nothing to do with game design but I've finally finished the first part of my Halloween costume:

Click here for the full size image

I know the original is skin colored but we thought that black looks cooler. The base is going to be hidden by a t-shirt yet to come. We also want to apply bits of flesh to the mouth using colored latex.
Posted By: painkiller

Re: What are you working on? - 10/19/11 23:09

hahah that's nice
Posted By: bart_the_13th

Re: What are you working on? - 10/20/11 03:33

Working on a flash game, drift thing(havent decide the name yet):

Click to reveal..

It was before fp11/molehill out so I have to decide whether to rewrite everything or just keep as it is tongue
Posted By: Joozey

Re: What are you working on? - 10/20/11 13:06

Working on a DS game

Re: What are you working on? - 11/06/11 12:17

Screens from my new android td game:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1579545305208.52211.1732936147&type=1&l=6f617d3407

Re: What are you working on? - 11/11/11 18:32

I just finished implementing particles into Vinter:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xYYvCu-DDM

Posted By: Damocles_

Re: What are you working on? - 11/13/11 20:06

Here a Java game I work on,
for the Java4K Contest.

http://damocles11.byethost9.com/cave4k.html

The final game is 4062 Bytes large.

(so the downloadtime is quite short... )

It uses a 3D polygon Engine witten by me, and runs quite fast
for using only the standard 2D drawing functions.

Re: What are you working on? - 11/13/11 21:10

I'm currently working on my own blogging software based on Twitters Bootstrap. There is no PHP involved, its just JavaScript magic. The blog posts are static text files written in Markdown that are grabbed via ajax and so far everything seems to work (although I really need to refactor some stuff now).

http://widerwille.com/test/

Re: What are you working on? - 11/20/11 23:03

Another 4k project from me: (JAVA Applet, 4 kilobytes)

Griefer 4k

http://damocles11.byethost9.com/griefer4k.html

In this game your main objective is to do what the name says, be a griefer.
Annoy the others who are building up silly blocky buildings

Controls:

Mouse Left-Click: move to location
Mouse Right-Click: ignite TNT
SPACE: place TNT (10 at most)
Posted By: Pappenheimer

Re: What are you working on? - 11/20/11 23:39

Wow, very elaborated! I didn't get to blow all of the others up - is that the goal? At least, I won't win a level as long there are still others who can build something, right?

Re: What are you working on? - 11/20/11 23:40

This is amazing Damocles grin

Re: What are you working on? - 11/20/11 23:44

Yes, blow up all "Steves".

You need to time placing and igniting the TNT.

They also a really scared of the griefer, so you must sometimes chase them to the TNT.

Made that in a week on spare time.

This 4Kilobyte idea is really bringing up creativity.
And mostly it makes you finish games quicker. laugh
As there is only so much to add to it.

Also check my Cave4k 3D game, some posts above wink

Re: What are you working on? - 11/20/11 23:55

Now indestructible bedrock placement and lava buckets grin

Re: What are you working on? - 11/21/11 00:01

There is enough rooms for some more building types.
(silly castles and lava pyramids)
Indestructable blocks would be a good idea also.

Re: What are you working on? - 11/21/11 00:17

Flint n steel powerup laugh

This is for the 4k challenge? Did your cave end on a good position?

Come 'ere! Just a few more steps....

Re: What are you working on? - 11/21/11 05:19

The competition runs for some time still.
I will enter both games (more than one allowed)

I also have some time to edit on the games some thweaks.
Posted By: Rondidon

Re: What are you working on? - 11/21/11 06:17

Hey Damocles, that`s an interesting project. It runs very well.
By the way are you still working on Wasteland or is the project on ice/cancelled/uses another engine now?

Re: What are you working on? - 11/21/11 06:21

Wasteland is just too big for my spare time.
Projects in this size should be organized as bigger team with
a dedicated goal to market it later.

For now I like these small projects more (not much time next to my work currently)

Re: What are you working on? - 11/21/11 09:41

Originally Posted By: Damocles_
Another 4k project from me: (JAVA Applet, 4 kilobytes)
Griefer 4k

Is this 'Wasteland 0.2'? grin

Re: What are you working on? - 11/21/11 11:32

From the Size Wasteland 0.0001

Somehow in all my games there are scorced buildings
or wasted terrain.

I have to think about my next game in 4k.
Maybe a photorealistic medival simulation?

Re: What are you working on? - 11/21/11 11:58

Originally Posted By: Damocles_
I have to think about my next game in 4k.
You could simulate two black knights fighting at midnight. grin

Re: What are you working on? - 11/21/11 17:49

Defender of the disk space laugh

Re: What are you working on? - 11/21/11 18:25

So on a floppy-disk you can store 300 games.
Your whole gamestash on one disk.

No need for the fancy usb-flashdrive modern stuff anymore.

I call that an improvement.
Posted By: ventilator

Re: What are you working on? - 11/21/11 21:10

i like your projects too. it's a lot of fun to work with such limits.

i guess you can do a lot more with 4k of java than what was possible with 4k on a home computer from the 80s?

Re: What are you working on? - 11/22/11 13:42

Well, naturally. Java's a very high level language, and high level languages are generally much more concise than, say, assembler.

Interesting note about java4k though: while your projects can only occupy 4k of disk space, they can however use as much internal memory as you need.

Re: What are you working on? - 11/23/11 08:58

In Java4k, we are using a highly optimized and compressed archives. Not an executable.
Also Java provides many high-level methods Wich only need to be called. The unpacking is also handled externally.
And as said, you can use a lot (not all) of your provided memory, and much higher Processorspeed than in the old days.

All this adds to the possibibily to make complex games in such a small size.

Nevertheless, 4k does not give you space to store any
"normal" assets, images or sounds. So its heavily relying on
procedural generation.
Even a short text can often drive the game out of bounds.

The resulting sourcecode also looks very messi. And highly linear. (mostly using just one Class, with one main procedure, and 2 small Appletspecific procedures)

---

Even in gamestudio, Im shure its possible to write a decent game
in like 64kB(zipped), if the enginefiles are not counted in.
Last 256k contest already showed that some cool games can result out of that.

Btw, this text here is already 1.034 Bytes ACSII

Re: What are you working on? - 11/24/11 21:50

Vinter + Animations = <3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeQbEP_Mpng
Posted By: Shadow969

Re: What are you working on? - 11/25/11 05:50

Quote:

Quote:
I call that an improvement.

now that's what i call a sense of humour laugh
nice games btw
Posted By: Slin

Re: What are you working on? - 11/27/11 21:58

The first version of the website with two first levels is finally online laugh http://lilly.slindev.com

Re: What are you working on? - 11/28/11 12:30

Wo studierst du jetzt eigentlich genau?

Re: What are you working on? - 11/28/11 14:02

Uni Lübeck.

Re: What are you working on? - 12/03/11 23:51

laugh
Posted By: VPrime

Re: What are you working on? - 12/04/11 08:10

Is that a tilebased game maker? Looks interesting,we actually have a similar project in the works but forked in 2 ways. One for in house game making, and another for the public which will be a little more limited and something that hasn't been done before (we hope laugh ).

Re: What are you working on? - 12/04/11 18:21

Finished the work on my own blogsoftware. I'm quite proud of it, what do you think?

And here is the link:
http://widerwille.com
You can also read a blogpost about the blog here.

Re: What are you working on? - 12/04/11 20:05

Originally Posted By: VPrime
Is that a tilebased game maker? Looks interesting,we actually have a similar project in the works but forked in 2 ways. One for in house game making, and another for the public which will be a little more limited and something that hasn't been done before (we hope laugh ).

well sort of tile based. you can place the objects on a grid, but the grid is editable and doesnt need to be used at all. Not sure I'd call it its own game maker. Its more like a gamemaker - file maker wink so yes a game maker. It was originally supposed to be a basic level editor for the papaya game engine (android games and it say ios which i havent tested). I'm making the editor with rapid-q basic, an old bytecode windows program maker. It works quite well, and supposedly rapidq now has features that are ported to linux, so even if i wanted to distribute on linux i would only have to change some dx lines into gdi(?) lines (they are set up similarly in rapidq basic).

anyways when i started it i realized that since i was using a high-level editor to make the dev tool, and because i was using a high level engine, that many features were super easy to add and I just went from there, it doesnt save anything yet, and right now I can only place one object but I have many features added to the ui as placemarkers, and I already know how im going to program them.... so im pretty excited.

@sid. Do you sleep?

Re: What are you working on? - 12/04/11 21:31

Originally Posted By: lostclimate
@sid. Do you sleep?

Yes. Too much. There are many things I want to do and so little time frown
Posted By: ventilator

Re: What are you working on? - 12/04/11 21:49

how does the backend of your blog work? is there no backend at all and you simply upload text files per ftp? making it easy to use for normal people is the tricky part. not the frontend. laugh

Re: What are you working on? - 12/04/11 22:07

Well, the backend was the tricky part. I started it as a simple PHP crawler (which still works), and which runs a s cronjob. The crawler just checks the file hierarchy in a directory against some database entries to know whats new, then it adds the articles to the static.js file which contains all the information about the site.

However, I don't use the crawler anymore, although its really cool, because it has a few drawbacks. When I started writing the blog, all articles were just the markdown files parsed into a div, but now there is much more meta information around an article, for example the list of tags, and the GitHub data to generate the nice fork and watch buttons that you can see in Portfolio posts. Here is how this looks like:
Code:
jb_portfolio[3] = new Array();
jb_portfolio[3]["file"]  	= "jb-articles/portfolio/vinter.txt";
jb_portfolio[3]["title"] 	= "Vinter";
jb_portfolio[3]["id"]	 	= "portfolio:3";
jb_portfolio[3]["github"]	= new Array("justsid", "vinter");
jb_portfolio[3]["date"]  	= new Date("September 10, 2011 12:00:00");
jb_portfolio[3]["tags"]	 	= new Array("vinter", "open-source", "projects", "portfolio");

So, instead of writing a full featured Admin PHP backend, I decided to write a Mac OS X app which does all of this for me, and because I'm lazy, its just a command line app which generates the static.js file for me. Not user friendly, but its working. And as I am the only user of the backend, I don't ned to care about other users \o/
To write the articles, I use Mou.app which is a Markdown writing and preview App for Mac OS X.

Re: What are you working on? - 12/08/11 22:41

Put Griefer 4k on the Java4k website.
Now lets go back to my 4k shooter AI game
(The AI will be pretty awsome for 4 kilobytes, in my opinion)

http://www.java4k.com/index.php?action=home

Re: What are you working on? - 12/08/11 23:02

Originally Posted By: JustSid
Originally Posted By: lostclimate
@sid. Do you sleep?

Yes. Too much. There are many things I want to do and so little time frown

I know that feeling well. frown

Re: What are you working on? - 12/13/11 20:44

Hacked something together in the last hour. Its made using Vinter (graphics) and Chipmunk (physics), I kinda like it. Thoughts?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxLsg8VPoDQ
Posted By: Pappenheimer

Re: What are you working on? - 12/13/11 21:07

I kinda like it, too. I like your examples. You could make levels with tasks like: Put the ball on the box. Or: Let the first ball role under the jumping ball to the box. Still not that much.
What about adding sounds to the different movements and collisions?

Re: What are you working on? - 12/13/11 21:24

Thanks laugh
Yes, the goal is a physic puzzler similar to Crazy Machines, but with constraint and motors and stuff. Mainly to test Vinters Chipmunk integration before the 0.4.0 release (I don't plan to create a complete game here). Sounds are a long term goal too, but they have to wait (Sound is planned for Vinter 0.5.0, but I have to read about OpenAL before).

These projects really help to fix bugs in Vinter, for example I fixed three bugs while hacking this together.

Re: What are you working on? - 12/14/11 01:38

Your demo reminds me of The Incredible Machine (which, as I found out on Wikipedia, is very similar to Crazy Machines). With some more objects and few objectives it would make a nice tech demo for Vinter.

Re: What are you working on? - 12/14/11 01:46

It needs cats and bowling balls.

Re: What are you working on? - 12/14/11 02:13

Originally Posted By: Redeemer
Your demo reminds me of The Incredible Machine (which, as I found out on Wikipedia, is very similar to Crazy Machines). With some more objects and few objectives it would make a nice tech demo for Vinter.
exactly my first thought. The basketballes specially

Re: What are you working on? - 12/14/11 02:23

Working on it! Adding new props is luckily as easy as adding a new XML file... oh wait. The only problem is that I'm lazy and that I first wanted to test the three basic types (wheel/ball, box, static segment). I just added a way to add new props to the level and to delete old ones, so that I don't need to create the level in code:

(The popover was programmed by a guy named Werner ( https://github.com/werner77/WEPopover ))

Redeemer, I never thought of it as being a techdemo, but thats a great idea! If I finish this small project far enough, I will certainly add the source to the Vinter repository.

Re: What are you working on? - 12/14/11 04:15

FYI, you are all mean people! frown
Instead of sleeping like every normal person, I couldn't get the sound thing out of my head and started reading everything OpenAL related from ADC (Apple Developer somethingwithc). Good news, I have sound now. It needs some cleanup though before I can push it to the experimental branch (plus I need to fiddle out the changes I can push to the master branch... meh). So yeah, thanks for making me tired!

Re: What are you working on? - 12/14/11 04:34

Originally Posted By: JustSid
So yeah, thanks for making me tired!

You're welcome.

Originally Posted By: Joozey
It needs cats and bowling balls.

And Mel!

Re: What are you working on? - 01/03/12 05:35

I was away from my computer for nearly two weeks over Christmas. Wasn't happy about that. All I had was my backup USB drive and my brother's netbook, which can't run KarBOOM, so I decided to learn some stuff that should be valuable for my next game:

I'm pretty adamant that my next game will run on Windows, Mac and Linux, whether I get to use GS for it or not.

My engine's lacking a bit -- my mesh importer doesn't calculate tangents yet, so no normal mapping, and I have to work out some kinks in the transformations. But the entity/mesh/shader/texture system is flexible and it seems to work on Linux and Windows (I haven't tested Mac yet).

Now that I'm home and have access to my development computer, though, I'm back on KarBOOM in GS -- need to bust out more updates and finish it!

EDIT: Tangents work, normal mapping works, using custom matrices instead of the built-in ones now, and the car shader now does everything real-KarBOOM's car shader does:

I'm not porting KarBOOM -- it's still very much a GS game. I'm just using what I've already got in GS as the benchmark to make sure my engine is working as it's supposed to.

Now -- really -- back to GS KarBOOM!

Re: What are you working on? - 01/12/12 19:35

Re-Doing the project home of Vinter, to get my head sorted to continue work on other projects tongue
Thoughts?

Re: What are you working on? - 01/18/12 18:03

I am redoing my website, to make it look more clean and better overall:

Thoughts?

Edit: Oh, and even if it looks like that - it does not use [unlike Sid's sites] bootstrap [that twitter thing] wink

Re: What are you working on? - 01/18/12 18:07

Shouldn't the newest post be on top?

Re: What are you working on? - 01/18/12 18:10

Yep, thanks laugh

Re: What are you working on? - 01/24/12 23:18

Hi there, here a WorkInProgresss version of my 4-Kilobyte Platformer "Kobold"

http://damocles11.byethost9.com/kobold.html

(you need Java)

Controls:

Mouse Left-Click: shoot at the point you point
WASD or CursorKeys: move (for the left and right handers out there)
Space: jump (W and UP also mapped to it)

GOAL: Get 30 Frags first with your blue team.

(when your health is low, the time slows -not a bug - just try it)

BTW: I have a map.png inside, wich could be edited easily to alter the map.
Next: optimize it.
The Pack200 archive is quite close to the limit already.

The game is quite demanding, But I can slow it down still.
I just want the AI players to have the same options as the player.

Any thoughts/problems, please let me know.

Re: What are you working on? - 01/25/12 04:34

very cool. your recent java work reminds me very much of pre-runescape jagex's work. lags when i get hit for some reason?

Re: What are you working on? - 01/25/12 04:35

Oh, thats the Slow-Motion. Kicks in when you health goes under 30%. I have to make that more visual.

The AI is actually the core feature here. Since the size is limited I have to kind of bruteforce the decisiontree.
I planed to include adaptive learning too, but that would need a few more bytes then. Its also fully dynamic,
working with all kinds of maps, or changes in the gameplay mechanics.
(The AI basically just knows what actions it is allowed to do, and makes a propper activity-chain from thereon)

Re: What are you working on? - 01/25/12 05:46

yeah, the ai is pretty good, and i've noticed the players can physically knock eachother around. I'd be cool if that had even a hard effect when hit. laugh

Re: What are you working on? - 02/01/12 21:33

Finished implementing threading in user space for my kernel (well, not the thread scheduling which is still done in hardware, but the creation of a thread from the user space).

This is how this looks like:

And here is the code responsible for this:
Code:
void thread()
{
	sys_printColor("Secondary thread!\n", vd_color_red); // Simply tell everyone that we are here
}

void test()
{
	sys_print("Hello World\n");

uint32_t id = sys_threadAttach(thread, 4); // Attach a new thread to the process with thread() as function
	sys_threadJoin(id); // Wait for the newly created thread to exit

sys_print("Thread exited\n");
}

The "Joining thread 1" message is printed by the kernel for debugging purposes. I'm quite happy with the result since I stopped working on it because of a bug that gave me great headache a few weeks ago and today I decided to try it again and got it working in ~20 minutes laugh
The really nice thing is that I can now block threads based on predicates and unblock them when these predicates turn out to be true, in the thread joining case that means that the predicate is that the other thread exits.

If someone wants to read more about this small project, here is a blogpost where I go into some details and also posted a link to the source code repo: http://widerwille.com/blog/?article=articles:article4

Re: What are you working on? - 02/08/12 23:56

Gave that blog a facelift, blogs love facelifts!
http://www.widerwille.com/blog/?site=articles

(Too lazy to link a screenshot tongue )

Re: What are you working on? - 04/11/12 08:46

I am working on my new portfolio website, which I had to put down for some legal reasons.

Re: What are you working on? - 04/11/12 10:38

Looks good, from scratch or some template?

Re: What are you working on? - 04/11/12 11:59

Originally Posted By: PadMalcom
Looks good, from scratch or some template?

Thanks smile I spent some money for the programming. Now I am able to solely focus on the contents and the additional design & customizations. That takes already much time, at least, if you want to make everything as perfect as possible. I hate sloppy stuff.

Imho, it is more worthwhile to hire a professional webdesigner rather than trying to do it on your own. I estimated some months of learning/training plus expenses for books/tools to achieve such a high quality level to be en par with nowadays standards for websites. And that was a no-go for me.

Re: What are you working on? - 04/11/12 13:07

That is why I get my shirts ironed by professionals wink

When is the site going to be online?

Re: What are you working on? - 04/11/12 14:18

Before April 27th wink

Re: What are you working on? - 04/11/12 15:22

Good news, criticism works best when it is given face to face tongue
Posted By: JoGa

Re: What are you working on? - 04/11/12 20:52

I'm still playing around with blender, its a wonderful tool, even if I don't understand much xD

result of this evening was a improved scene ( the old one, i posted some weeks ago). Still not finished, the grass has still a "lego-look" and the light is not right, but enought for this evening ^^
final result

now i have to search, how to handle with the alpha-transparent of the trees, because they are still too dark (if i set the diffuse > 0, they get a strange glitter)

Re: What are you working on? - 04/20/12 01:50

Spent the night playing around with C4 and mesh generation:

(Also note the worlds worst tree generators results)
Posted By: Helghast

Re: What are you working on? - 04/20/12 07:49

I had recently dived into some of my old Lite-C scripts.
I realized I had never released my RPG template outside of AUM, and wanna post it here for more people to make use of laugh

Other then that, doing lots of Unity work, am working on a complete AI solution (where they take cover, are threat aware and much much more).

Re: What are you working on? - 04/20/12 09:26

Originally Posted By: JoGa
I'm still playing around with blender, its a wonderful tool, even if I don't understand much xD

The scene looks very cool! Have you tried to export things to Gamestudio already? Would be cool, if you could transfer the scene 1:1 including the lightning.
Posted By: Damocles

Re: What are you working on? - 04/22/12 02:41

Wiring cables.
Homage to the classic (outlawed) lightbulb.

Posted By: JoGa

Re: What are you working on? - 04/27/12 10:38

that screen looks great, I like the pixel-way and I hope, we see more from this game, soon laugh

Originally Posted By: HeelX
Originally Posted By: JoGa

The scene looks very cool! Have you tried to export things to Gamestudio already? Would be cool, if you could transfer the scene 1:1 including the lightning.

thanks! I didn't export it. In some days I will build this scene in WED, but I will try to calculate some shadows with blender - shadow-baking just to see, how this workes (you gave me the tip of the terrain-shader, and I want to try to use the shadowmap there). The scene is not 1:1 compatible for 3DGS, the lighting is different (for example 3 grave-stone-models but every stone in the scene has different shadows on it. Or the grass is in blender made of a model-group and the particle-system, so the grass-models have their own shadow, too)
edit: thats how it looks now in 3DGS: the shadows are not real time, baken with blender and added to the 3dgs-shader. They are not the best, but it's enough for me grin

Re: What are you working on? - 05/01/12 17:09

Redesigning and writing my Blog (again). This time using server side JavaScript in an commonjs environment (Node.js) and CouchDB.
The goal is to be as minimalistic as possible, but idk, it feels like its missing something... what do you guys think?

Edit: Quick reminder, thats how it looks today: http://widerwille.com
Posted By: Germanunkol

Re: What are you working on? - 05/02/12 06:39

I like it. It sure is minimalistic. Adding a picture here and there, in your posts, would spice it up, though, as long as the blog stays plain black & white.

At first it bugged me that "WiderWille" is not lined up to "Why so serious" and "Blogging against my will" is not lined up to "3 comments".
Why not line them up, and move the "follow" icons further down?

You could also make the icons black & white.

Re: What are you working on? - 05/02/12 06:46

As already said: Use "more" tags so that every reader finds a topic that is of interest. Furthermore, add an icon, a pony for instance wink
Posted By: rvL_eXile

Re: What are you working on? - 05/02/12 09:19

Hey Joga.
Your Shadows are to dark. reduce them a bit to get an more brighter look. It doesnt fit to your Terrain because the terrain is much brighter as your model!

Also add Hard Edges to get an better shading.
The current shading looks really wrong.
How to?
Add an Modifier to your model in Blender (EdgeSplit) and export your Model again.

regards Sebastian

EDIT:
EdgeSplit Example:

Re: What are you working on? - 05/02/12 09:43

Originally Posted By: Germanunkol
At first it bugged me that "WiderWille" is not lined up to "Why so serious" and "Blogging against my will" is not lined up to "3 comments".
Why not line them up, and move the "follow" icons further down?

You could also make the icons black & white.

The sidebar is fixed at its position, so its going to be hard to line them up pixel perfectly in all browsers. Thats why I didn't bothered, but yeah, will try to get it working in at least chrome.

And the follow icons aren't black and white because for example the StackOverflow button would then suddenly become the meta.so button.

Originally Posted By: PadMalcom
As already said: Use "more" tags so that every reader finds a topic that is of interest. Furthermore, add an icon, a pony for instance wink

Haha, tags yes. Pony as logo: No. I don't own the rights and its bad enough that I used rainbow dashs eye as Favicon (but at least it comes from an Fanfic). But yeah, will add tags (once I figured out what looks okay)
Posted By: Helghast

Re: What are you working on? - 05/08/12 14:01

Been working on an AI system lately (in Unity)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9KP_8yw2RM

Re: What are you working on? - 07/25/12 13:41

I am working on a process to parse Mediawiki markup from the german Wiktionary with the goal to automatically generate a (semantic) word net for nouns, similar to WordNet and ConceptNet. I am far from finished, but I was able to break down the markup and now I am going to extract the noun info.

The following images show a small tool I wrote to watch the processing steps. You can load a word by it's ID from the Wiktionary database (dumped and loaded into a MySQL table) and watch all data.

Re: What are you working on? - 07/25/12 17:18

Why not try Java FX 2.0 instead of Swing? grin But the tool looks interesing, since the last semester I'm quite interested in the semantic web topic!

Re: What are you working on? - 07/25/12 17:28

Java FX? I work with a local MySQL database atm and the Google WindowBuilder toolkit is very useful to create rapid applications with Java. The intended use of my framework/algorithms is to extract and transform the data of Wiktionary and load it back into a new database (with an own scheme). So, this should run only once (!), after you downloaded the dump from the Mediawiki servers.

Then, one can write a tool, that e.g. generates a word net (which I am going to do); but you can do also other stuff (like using the inflection tables to generate a finite state machine that transform arbitrary german words from singular to plural or the like).

A colleague at our chair is researching semantic searches and things like GermaNet have to be licensed for commercial use; so a derived wordnet from the freely available Wiktionary project would be a great benefit for the Computational Linguistics Community.

Re: What are you working on? - 07/26/12 15:21

Some small java particles

bloomparticle.html (needs Java)

Re: What are you working on? - 08/22/12 11:00

Regarding my linguistics project I mentioned above, I made some significant steps forward. Now, I stepped on the semantical stage of the whole thing; I can now extract nouns with gender, senses and hyponyms (dt.: Unterbegriffe) and hypernyms (dt.: Oberbegriffe); I extract from the gloss some keywords as well - here an example with the german word "Stuhl" (engl.: "chair"):

Code:
noun "Stuhl" [Masculine]

Gender "Masculine":

Senses (5):

"Medizin, gehoben: kurz für Kot (feste Exkremente)"
        keywords: [Exkrement, Medizin, Exkremente, Kot]

"übertragen: bildungssprachlicher Begriff für ein Amt"
        keywords: [Amt]

"(Sitz-)Möbel, meist mit vier hohen Beinen, Rückenlehne und eventuell Armlehnen"

"?"

"nur in Zusammensetzungen, siehe Unterbegriffe: Gerüst oder Gestell, meist ortsfest (im Gegensatz zu Möbeln), meist aus Holz"
        keywords: [Gerüst, Gestell]

Hypernymies (4):

sense: "nur in Zusammensetzungen, siehe Unterbegriffe: Gerüst oder Gestell, meist ortsfest (im Gegensatz zu Möbeln), meist aus Holz"
        [Gerüst, Gestell]

sense: "(Sitz-)Möbel, meist mit vier hohen Beinen, Rückenlehne und eventuell Armlehnen"
        [Kunsthandwerk, Sitzmöbel, Innenarchitektur, Möbel, Inneneinrichtung]

sense: "?"
        [Handwerk, Kunst, Architektur, Industrie, Kultur, Tischlerhandwerk, Technik]

sense: "Medizin, gehoben: kurz für Kot (feste Exkremente)"
        [Exkrement]

Hyponymies (5):

sense: "?"
        [Bürgermeisterstuhl, Kaiserstuhl, Kanzlerstuhl, Chefstuhl, Ministerstuhl, Landratsstuhl, Königsstuhl]

sense: "(Sitz-)Möbel, meist mit vier hohen Beinen, Rückenlehne und eventuell Armlehnen"
        [Plastikstuhl, Rattanstuhl, Metallstuhl, Korbstuhl, Holzstuhl]

sense: "übertragen: bildungssprachlicher Begriff für ein Amt"
        [Lehrstuhl, Heiliger Stuhl]

sense: "nur in Zusammensetzungen, siehe Unterbegriffe: Gerüst oder Gestell, meist ortsfest (im Gegensatz zu Möbeln), meist aus Holz"
        [Webstuhl, Glockenstuhl, Dachstuhl, Brunnenstuhl]

[Gymnastikstuhl, Theaterstuhl, Küchenstuhl, Konzertstuhl, Beichtstuhl, Rollstuhl, Kinostuhl, Arbeitsstuhl, Esszimmerstuhl, Drehstuhl, Kinderstuhl, Saalstuhl, Schaukelstuhl, Klappstuhl, Gartenstuhl, Kinderzimmerstuhl, Balkonstuhl, Terrassenstuhl, Gesundheitsstuhl, Opernstuhl, Kirchenstuhl]

Re: What are you working on? - 10/10/12 02:00

Made some open source JavaScript stuff while rewriting my blog
https://github.com/JustSid/Abyss
https://github.com/JustSid/Jublog

Posted By: Cowabanga

Re: What are you working on? - 10/15/12 20:59

oh god how do i c++

Re: What are you working on? - 11/08/12 08:08

Began to work on face recognition again. This is 3-days work and is a complex (as in complex numbers) image convolution with a gabor wavelet. I am doing now everything in Java, which is a blast. F*** C++!

Posted By: mk_1

Re: What are you working on? - 11/08/12 09:37

oh Lenna, my favourite playmate wink
isn't that something you should do on the gpu? how fast is it?

Re: What are you working on? - 11/08/12 12:40

I'd love to have a look at it! laugh Will you write a sheet about the topic?

Re: What are you working on? - 11/08/12 17:26

I finally (sigh) started working on master thesis and that convolution I showed above is just a small prerequisite.

Since I am trying to improve upon an existing method for detecting and recognizing faces, accuracy is more important, not so speed. The convolution is made in frequency domain, so, together with loading the image, calculating the kernel(s) and other (infrastructural) overhead everything runs within ~230ms, which is OK. I am not yet done with multithreading yet and there are other aspects which are not that efficient yet, but that is not yet important smile

Ask again if I start evaluating the system, when I'm done.

@PadMalcolm: I don't think so, but the thesis itself will be available online, I guess. If my approach is a promising improvement with rock solid results backing it, well, I don't know what happens then wink
Posted By: Sajeth

Re: What are you working on? - 11/08/12 19:15

Originally Posted By: Cowabanga
oh god how do i c++

I know that feel.

Re: What are you working on? - 11/11/12 11:58

A "text based" strategy spacegame for Android:

Re: What are you working on? - 11/14/12 20:27

Uh, Joozey, nice! But how is this supposed to work out, what is the player doing? or supposed to smile I'm just curious.

I finished the Gabor Wavelet Transform, which is basically the same as above, but parallelized and for a family of wavelets, applied on one image. The goal is to find approximated positions of the features in an image. Today it's Tiffany's turn:

You see in the upper section the used filters, which represent differently aligned edges in different scales (broader edges and thinner edges), whereas the smaller kernels represent detail structures and bigger kernels represent bigger changes in the underlying image.

The second section shows the complex responses re + im * i of the image convolved with the complex kernels (whereas only the real-valued terms are shown).

The third section show the magnitude sqrt(re*re + im*im) and the orientation atan(im, re) of the convolution results. The magnitudes form some kind of a likelihood map, in which each pixel stores a response to the filter. The higher the response, the more probably it is to find that feature at that position. For example, sharph borders of the eyelids, the eyebrows and wrinkles between the nose the mouth generate for thin horizontally wavelets strong results; this doesn't happen, though for broader versions, which are capturing bigger structures, like fingers, the arm, hair strands and the like.

The orientation map encodes for each pixel the orientation of the surface at that very pixel, relative to the given orientation of the wavelet. These relative angles are very useful in the actual face detection step, when accurate landmarks of the face are to be found in the image.

Re: What are you working on? - 11/14/12 20:33

nice, what references did you use for your implementations?

Re: What are you working on? - 11/14/12 20:47

The main papers are Face detection and recognition using maximum likelihood classifiers on Gabor graphs and Face recognition by elastic bunch graph matching. They describe how Gabor Wavelets can be used to specify arbitrary textures; especially faces and how to recognize them. The technique is suprisingly easy to implement, very robust and outperforms lots of other systems on the market, especially on different lighting conditions, which is a problem on its own. I used a stripped down version in my BSc-thesis (C++/OpenCV) for head pose recognition; if you read pp.16-23, you get a basic idea about it.

Re: What are you working on? - 11/21/12 22:01

I guess Elaine is checking me out. At least my similarity functions tell me so grin

Posted By: MasterQ32

Re: What are you working on? - 11/22/12 10:47

Light Prepass Renderer with XNA Gamestudio:

Re: What are you working on? - 11/22/12 11:39

Nice!

Re: What are you working on? - 11/22/12 14:14

thanks
i try to create the horrorgame now in XNA because i ran into problems with gamestudio (strange rendering behaviour)
also i can be much more flexible in rendering and stuff

only collision worries me atm (but i think physX or other engines can help me here)

maybe someone has an advice which physic engine is easy to use

Re: What are you working on? - 11/27/12 00:26

Just some little code to help me coding XNA like Gamestudio laugh

This scheduler allows me to use "yield return 1;" like "wait(1);"
Works like a charme and has some advantages:
Different RunLevels allow me to disable/enable specific actions without a complex approach (just a binary & with scheduler runlevel and action runlevel)

Re: What are you working on? - 11/28/12 22:42

Just merged Firedrakes master branch with the unstable branch increasing the code size to a whopping 15k lines (yes, code. Without comments and blank lines). Merge commit: aa0189d993fa2ef3a58b7af9006ac4f42dacb581.
The end0.3.0 is near, just a few small things are still missing... hopefully I can get it done by december 5th so I can release it exactly one year after the first commit. But yeah... Let's see if that happens.

This is how everything running looks like:

(I envy you and your graphic related projects, my projects never make for good screenshots frown )

And this is how things look like when nothing is running (I guess I need to write a VGA driver sometimes, I'm running out of screenspace for the stacktraces with libio):
http://img.widerwille.com/L93b

Oh, and I also started working on some documentation for libio.
Posted By: Uhrwerk

Re: What are you working on? - 11/28/12 22:52

Sometimes I'd really like to understand what exactly you're doing there and why. Just for me ego.

Re: What are you working on? - 11/28/12 23:22

Writing an open source kernel for the i486 architecture. Why? Because I can, that's why!

But it's still very limited, especially when it comes to userland stuff (the only thing working there are statically linked binaries, the runtime dynamic link editor works only inside the kernel). Maybe one day it'll be able to do something useful, but as of now it's just a bit of code to bootstrap the most basic things.

Re: What are you working on? - 11/28/12 23:27

That's how far I already got it. But you're also doing stuff to control hardware etc. ? And I don't get why you run that in a console atop an operating system. Shouldn't this become the actual os? Sorry for my ignorance. I have no understanding of these low level things...

Re: What are you working on? - 11/28/12 23:45

It's actually running inside of an emulator. The "console" is just the basic BIOS text output.
It does run on real hardware though, but it's a bit harder to make screenshot there and really annoying to reboot the system after making some small changes. QEMU also has a nice feature to log all interrupts which is really really nice for debugging.

And yes, the latest thing I was working on was hardware controller. Well, actually I've been working on two things there; The first thing is an in-kernel dynamic runtime editor which is able to load dynamic libraries into the kernel space and then link/relocate them in there and the second thing are two libraries called libkernel and libio.so which export and abstract part of the kernel functionality.
libio is written in C++ and provides some more abstraction including some basic container classes and a way to create services and service providers and then have the runtime match them (to give an actual example; There is a PCI library, libPCI, which provides a class called PCIDevice which basically abstracts one PCI device and makes access to it easier. And there is a class called PCIProvider which scans the PCI bus and looks for devices there, then it creates a PCIDevice for each found device and the PCIDevice tells the libio runtime that it is looking for a service that matches the properties of the PCI card and if the runtime finds such a service, it will create an instance of it and connect the PCIDevice with the service which then acts as a controller for the device.)

So in theory it's possible to write pretty high level device drivers, because the driver for the actual PCI devices doesn't have to care about finding the correct device on the bus and it doesn't have to re-implement the actual handling of the PCI device. It just needs to implement the functionality specific to the device.
And obviously this isn't only for PCI devices but for arbitrary hardware, but as of now there is only an abstraction library for PCI, because I'm lazy and stuff. The next thing I want to add is support for USB, but that won't make it into 0.3.0 (and 0.4.0 is going to have a VFS as main feature, so it can take some time before I'll actually work on USB stuff)

Re: What are you working on? - 11/28/12 23:55

I think that all this stuff is pretty cool and sexy but somehow I'm missing a practical application for it. What do you intend to do with it. Or are you doing it just for the fun of creating it? Did you totally start from scratch or did you use some code as a basis? Where did you learn all these concepts and how? Question over questions... ^^

Re: What are you working on? - 11/29/12 00:09

There is no practical application... It's just a pet project I like toying around with because it's so completely different from normal application development. I'm by no means a kernel developer and probably made more than one wrong design decision. Firedrake is never ever going to be something that can be used as an alternative OS (or just a s a functional kernel for that matter), but it's fun working on this.
And it did start completely from scratch, apart from the bootloader (for which I use GRUB), everything is written by and from scratch. I got some inspiration on how to design some of the parts from various other kernel projects (NetBSD, Dragonfly BSD and Darwin), but there is no code from other projects (except of the ELF hashing function... I probably go to hell for copying it and putting an MIT license header on-top of it. Well, it's probably going to be jail instead of hell tongue ).

About learning... well, it's a mix of trial and error, google, the Intel manuals and digging through other kernels. But it's mostly trial and error, my first kernel project from two years ago (https://github.com/JustSid/NANOS) was heavily influenced by the fact that I had no fucking idea what I was doing there. In retrospect it's surprising that this thing worked, and I'm pretty sure that I'm going to say this about Firedrake in a year.

Re: What are you working on? - 11/29/12 16:49

Actually what Sid did is awesome! I really hope he'll write a tutorial/book(?? laugh ) on the topic since there is no good stuff on the market except the old Tanenbaum. He'd make me really happy! wink But if he'd only start implementing a file system and an gui server... grin

Re: What are you working on? - 11/29/12 18:07

@JustSid: To use a Quake 3 quote: "I tip my hat to you, JustSid!"

Re: What are you working on? - 12/01/12 18:18

The little building icons are dummies and from ferion, just to add to the mood of the game.

It's tough displaying the right amount of information on a tiny screen and making the information as self-explaining as possible.

@HeelX: You develop a civilisation towards interstellar colonisation by building structures that give you money, material and defense points. By choosing one building you can't (simultaneously) choose another of the same type (e.g. either a clone facility or droid factory), so your choice of buildings determines what kind of civilisation you will grow to. When you reached interstellar travel, you can colonise a new star system and start over again, perhaps to take a different development path.

Re: What are you working on? - 12/03/12 22:59

@Jonas: Let's see about a book. A tutorial maybe sometimes, but as of now, Firedrake is really really tiny and nothing special. It's only at the very beginning and I'm not yet in a position to really write about this stuff!

@Uhrwerk: Thanks, I didn't know they used my nickname in Quake3 tongue

@Joozey: Nice, I like it. Reminds me a bit of ogame (if you know that game). Do you plan to release it on iOS as well, or just Android?

Btw, guys, guys, guys, Firedrake 0.3.0 is done!!!
I wrote a blogpost about it: http://widerwille.com/blog/articles/2012-01-03-firedrake-0-3-release
And here is the tag: https://github.com/JustSid/Firedrake/commits/release-0.3.0

Also, two pictures, because fuck yeah pictures!

Re: What are you working on? - 12/04/12 21:47

Dynamic Planet Generation:

Re: What are you working on? - 12/04/12 22:06

Working on my bizeps.

Re: What are you working on? - 12/04/12 22:08

bizeps is one of the useless muscles grin but chicks are going to come over you, if you have some grin

Re: What are you working on? - 12/04/12 22:12

Depends on what you're up to wink

Bizeps is not the only one I'm training. Also Triceps and Deltoid.

Re: What are you working on? - 12/04/12 22:23

Triceps and brachioradialis are the most useful muscles on hands wink

Anyway, nice to see another sportsman here wink

Re: What are you working on? - 12/04/12 22:26

wink
Posted By: gri

Re: What are you working on? - 12/05/12 07:55

Not much to see if you wearing clothes and armor.

Better you switch from knight to an barbarian. A strong man with huge muscles and a big sword.

You train at home or in a gym?
Posted By: sivan

Re: What are you working on? - 12/05/12 09:17

working on my brain.

Re: What are you working on? - 12/05/12 09:50

I'm afraid you won't be able to wear "steel" the whole day ^^ So, if some badasses will find you in a dark alley, you'll be fucked up without your "steel" stuff wink
Posted By: oliver2s

Re: What are you working on? - 12/05/12 11:04

working on my motivation

Re: What are you working on? - 12/05/12 11:10

oliver2s, please don't take drugs grin

Re: What are you working on? - 12/05/12 11:32

weed (christmas) cookies?

Re: What are you working on? - 12/05/12 14:12

Originally Posted By: oliver2s
weed (christmas) cookies?

+1 laugh ?

Re: What are you working on? - 12/05/12 14:39

Originally Posted By: sivan
working on my brain.

this. friday is my "big day".

Re: What are you working on? - 12/05/12 19:46

Originally Posted By: gri

You train at home or in a gym?

At home, + training once or twice a week + swimming once a week.

Re: What are you working on? - 12/05/12 19:54

Anyone want to know more about Firedrakes boot process? No? Oh, well, read my new blogpost anyways so I get this warm and fuzzy feeling of attention:
http://widerwille.com/blog/articles/2012-12-05-firedrake-internals-from-boot-to-kerneld-in-20ms

Re: What are you working on? - 12/06/12 18:34

Nice work MasterQ32!

Re: What are you working on? - 12/06/12 21:49

thanks, more will follow

Re: What are you working on? - 12/10/12 21:45

Imagegraph Editor

Re: What are you working on? - 12/15/12 21:55

Forked Firedrake for the 25th Ludum Dare and use it as game engine now! Hail the glorious leader of our glorious nation:
http://cl.widerwille.com/Ld3q

Grab your copy of the game code here: https://github.com/JustSid/Ludumdrake
Posted By: Error014

Re: What are you working on? - 12/18/12 20:39

HeelX, this is fascinating. Any chance you could explain in simple terms (so that an idiot - say, me - would understand it) what your code does to detect the face? laugh

Re: What are you working on? - 12/18/12 21:56

Thanks smile

In this setup, I sample at each graph node in the source image (upper left image) the local textures at specific points of the face - e.g. the nosetip, the eye corners, the cheeks, the eyebrows, the iris, etc. The facegraph has 52 nodes, so I have 52 local texture models of parts of the womans' face. The texture models are not trivial as they code arbitrary textures by complex-valued waves... fancy stuff!

To find the face in a new image, I move the center of the graph pixelwise over the destination image.

For each pixel I and compare at all 52 graphnodes the node-textures from the source image with the texture at the position of the current graph node in the new image. This comparison is powered by a mathematically function, that returns a number, which represents the similarity of the texture patch in the new image with the texture model in the graph node. The higher the number, the more similar is the texture patch with the texture model in the node.

I sum all similarities up and divided them through 52. This is the value I write in a so called similarity map - the pixel with the highest value in this map is the position in the image where a face seems to be most likely.

There are 5 similarity maps shown in which I test 5 different similarity functions. They have all pros and cons regarding quality, speed and accuracy. The Abs-Similarity function for example is fast and accurate for a very first raw guess.

Finding the face involves more steps which I will implement over Christmas and New Year's Eve, like scaling/rotating the graph and different search steps with different similarity functions and single node-positioning. For GENERAL face detection, a special so called Maximum Likelihood Estimator is trained over a bunch of faces to create a generic and independent model of a human face.
Posted By: Error014

Re: What are you working on? - 12/20/12 00:06

Thank you! Explanation is much appreciated laugh

Really interesting topic, and with such a clear use as well. I seem to remember that you're doing that as your Master's thesis, is that right?

Re: What are you working on? - 12/20/12 12:37

Originally Posted By: Error014
I seem to remember that you're doing that as your Master's thesis, is that right?

Sort of. I have chosen a certain state of the art method and what I do is changing things and/or implementing new stuff. At the moment I am in the midst of re-creating the baseline technique with Java and OpenCV. Later I'll add my stuff and then I evaluate the methods against data. Then I compare the numbers and if my numbers are better, my proposed changes have a fair chance of being an improvement over the original algorithm. If not, then not.

Re: What are you working on? - 01/06/13 22:34

First basic version of the scan-scale-and-rotate matching algorithm implemented.

(image removed)

Shown are the source image from which the model is taken and the search image with given angle = 7° and scale = 1.2; the search resulted an angle of 5° and a scale of 1.8; below the images are the similarity map (best positions), the scale map and the angle map shown. Don't care about the consumed time. It is not a realtime technique and is scheduled differently in the resulting, surrounding algorthm in a coarse-to-fine manner.
Posted By: SchokoKeks

Re: What are you working on? - 01/29/13 19:18

Since jcl is taking very long for the android conversion (in case he is even working on it) I took matters into my own hand and wrote my own OpenGl ES 2.0 Renderer and MDL5 mesh loader. Wasn't nearly has hard as I had thought.

So I'm also stepping away from the 3DGS after over 10 years of usage.. I had a great time with you all!

Re: What are you working on? - 01/29/13 19:48

Good,
waiting for an engine that seems to be in the clouds will
just slow you down.

If you want to develop for Android better go the direct (and independent) way.

Re: What are you working on? - 01/29/13 20:11

Last weekend I participated in the global game jam at InnoGames in Hamburg, we we were a team of six people who never met before and while I miss fun gameplay, we are still quite proud of our result: http://slindev.com/glow/ (should be played with sounds)

Re: What are you working on? - 01/29/13 22:51

Originally Posted By: Slin
Last weekend I participated in the global game jam at InnoGames in Hamburg, we we were a team of six people who never met before and while I miss fun gameplay, we are still quite proud of our result: http://slindev.com/glow/ (should be played with sounds)
Nice concept! Though I never reached a flower. It's too dark.

Re: What are you working on? - 01/29/13 23:04

Slin, it crashed for me:

Re: What are you working on? - 01/30/13 12:41

SchokoKeks, please use texture filtering and do something against the aliasing laugh

3run, please try it again, as I hopefully fixed that.

HeelX, the initial idea was to be guided by the heartbeat frequency, also the brightness depends heavily on the monitor, because on some you can clearly see the whole level and on others you see about nothing. We didn´t really have the time to tweak things to be fun tongue.
The first flower is in the upper right corner, and the second one is slightly left far below the start position.
Posted By: SchokoKeks

Re: What are you working on? - 01/30/13 15:17

@Slin:
Yes, I'm currently working on that. I was using external ETC1 compressed textures for which OpenGL can not automatically generate mipmaps, which is only logical because you would want to use the uncompressed image data for that. I'll have to load mipmaps from files.

The Glow project was pretty interesting and has a great art style, you are using WebGL for that?

Re: What are you working on? - 01/31/13 15:55

@Slin: Do you know this?
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=123512321

Re: What are you working on? - 02/06/13 01:08

SchokoKeks: its webgl, yes.
MasterQ32: someone showed me that yes, but that was after the ggj^^ and hey, ours is much prettier tongue

I just spent the last few ours fixing my custom blender model exporter to handle bigger meshes, and putting together scripts to batch convert and resize textures to finally manage to convert the sponza model to work with my engine iSDGE on my iPhone 4S:

Its rendered at full resolution (960x640) and 4x multisample antialiasing, other than that it is currently just plain rendering of the model with its textures without anything fancy.
The only problem is, that exporting the whole thing took about 15mins, so there probably still is a lot of space for optimizations on my exporter tongue.
Posted By: Progger

Re: What are you working on? - 02/11/13 09:15

Hi guys,

Im working on a Spacegame called Cointrix.

Now adding new Items to bring fun into the game grin

Check it out on Cointrix

With friendly greetings Progger laugh

Re: What are you working on? - 02/11/13 14:05

Progger@ move the background as well, so it will looks like the UFO ship is flying forward. Other than that, good WIP project laugh Keep up!

Re: What are you working on? - 02/11/13 15:38

hi 3run laugh

thank you for the hint laugh

I will try it laugh

Re: What are you working on? - 02/11/13 21:29

Even better, split the stars in the background in different layers, based on depth, and let them move at different speeds.

Re: What are you working on? - 02/12/13 17:01

Path Tracer
The surface of the sphere emits light and the environment gets illuminated
The image rendered about 55 Minutes with 250 samples (rays) per pixel and a reflection depth of 5 steps

Re: What are you working on? - 02/18/13 14:47

Drawing illustrations, substructures of face graphs.

Re: What are you working on? - 02/20/13 02:46

@HeelX: Looks really interesting!

This weekend i read something about OpenCL and wanted to try some stuff. Here is the result:
Realtime GPU Raytracing

Re: What are you working on? - 02/20/13 09:47

Originally Posted By: MasterQ32
Realtime GPU Raytracing
At what speed (fps)? wink

Re: What are you working on? - 02/20/13 10:57

>700

Re: What are you working on? - 02/20/13 11:02

atm it's about 100 FPS, but completly unoptimized and stuff

Re: What are you working on? - 02/20/13 15:37

How many rays per pixel?

Re: What are you working on? - 02/20/13 15:56

in the picture one, in my current implementation 2

but i just tried to create the raytracer as a stable base for my pathtracer.
maybe it won't be realtime but for sure it will be way faster than the current CPU implementation.

Re: What are you working on? - 02/20/13 23:32

700 ms rendertime, global illumination, renderdepth of 10, 20 samples per pixel

Re: What are you working on? - 02/21/13 00:33

okay, small update:
renderdepth 10, 5000 samples per pixel

Re: What are you working on? - 02/21/13 19:07

Arising is a classic RTS.

I`ve created it some years ago for JavaME mobiles phone, but never managed to finish it.
So here is a port to standard Java.

It does not have all missions integrated. (I could do that if i find the time)

here the applet version:
http://rtsmaker.com/arisingApplet.html

and the standalone jar: http://rtsmaker.com/arising.jar  (720kb)

and a very nicely edited webpage: http://rtsmaker.com/

I will work a bit more on the controls and implement sound-fx.
Until now it has still more of an alpha status.

Technical info:  it uses plain normal Java2D, with some wrappers for the original JavaME code.
Most of the work was to move it from keypad controls to mouse+keyboard.

Most of the graphics (terrain, units) where made in WED cool and then rendered isometrically and with
shadows + some GIMP editing. Was somehow the quickest way for me to make them.

The first missions are unlocked, and (since there is not save feature) the others can be restarted with
a "secret" levelcode you can look up when finishing a mission. (so 1990)

I appreciate you posting any annoying bugs and issues you find.

regards,
Damocles

Re: What are you working on? - 02/22/13 09:31

nice rts game, just did a short trial.
the applet is flickering when I have to scroll up/down because of my 1366x768 resolution.

Re: What are you working on? - 02/22/13 09:58

Hi Damocles! The game is great, nice job! Here are some notes:

- The Windows mouse cursor was visible above the game mouse cursor.
- In the first room, the second turret was shooting through the walls a bit.
- It would be cool to have a fullscreen mode.
- When in windowed mode it would be nice, if the window is on top and visible, if the cam would move even when the mouse is outside the window.
- When I draw a selection rectangle and move the cam, the rectangle "moves with the cam" instead of expanding.
- In the following screenshot, the repair vehicle was running around in circles instead of taking the nearest location to its target location:

Re: What are you working on? - 02/22/13 10:21

Yes, the main problem is probably the camera-mouse-scroll detection.

I will make a version with a larger empty border around the gamescreen to detect
the mouse entering the "scroll" zone.
I dont want to capture the mouse itself in an applet (its somehow possible though)
because that can make people angry.
(thus the cursor over the ingame cursor)

I will look into making a fullscreen downloadable version.

For the flickering:
I noticed that when scrolling the browser page, it flickers.
But I can also make a version / option with a smaller rendering window for
low res screens. (right now the pixels are doubled, the
game is actually running in a 500x375 resolution)
For now you could download and run the jar locally.
(doubleclick, or use
java -jar arising.jar
)

Thanks for the feedback.

Re: What are you working on? - 02/22/13 10:28

yes the jar is fine, I tried that too.

Re: What are you working on? - 02/22/13 18:42

Ok, I have made a larger border around the map (easier scrolling), and use a custom pointer.

I will also look into making an option with a smaller rendering
for smaller screens.

Arising: http://rtsmaker.com

And here the first mission-unlock-code: "4321"
as little goodie.

Re: What are you working on? - 02/23/13 12:42

That is some really neat stuff Damocles. The graphics look great, WED has still it's uses laugh. Sadly the game does not fit on my monitor (800px high), is it not possible to support a bit smaller resolution to include 800px height monitors?

Re: What are you working on? - 02/23/13 12:53

I will make an option to draw it smaller.

The game itself is 500x375 pixels, and then rendered double size.

If I render it with 1.5 time the size it will look not very neat,
as the pixels bleed. But I will make an option to reduce the rendering size to 500x375 + "mouseborder".
So it should render fine on 1024x768 screens.

I used WED because I know how to make structures quickly and texture them.
The models look very ugly when you see them in the editor, but
they get rendered down to a tiny size anyhow.
Plus I can render shadows quickly.
I dont have the skill to make models nearly as quickly in Blender or so...

The game was originally designed for a 320x480 JavaME phone resolution
(or even smaller), thus the menus and tiles are so tiny.

I also reimplement the tile-smoothing to reduce the ugly
seams between the ground-tiles.

Its actually not an isometric rendering, but based on 24x24 px square tiles. (that why manually creating the terrain is a pain)
Generally the same method used as in Starcraft (minus the nice editor)

Here the simple Mappy Tileeditor.
I made the level in 4 layers.
(terrain, units, pathfinding and triggers)

http://rtsmaker.com/MappyScreenshot2.jpg

old testrendering in WED:
http://rtsmaker.com/rendertest1.jpg

Re: What are you working on? - 02/25/13 08:07

uhh, the level creation could cause a bad headache... and a game like this requires many levels.
probably making some "prefabs" could make it faster, to build up the level from a few dozens of pre-made terrain tile groups that fits more or less together. but this requires a good editor.
Posted By: Loremaster

Re: What are you working on? - 02/28/13 04:29

Currently working on finally finishing a very old project of ours, to then sell it on GOG if possible. May help finance the current project a bit.

Screenshots.
Story behind the eleven years delay.

Re: What are you working on? - 03/01/13 15:57

Hi laugh
I did a small update to the game. Check it out laugh.
New menu,
you can now choose different colors and also different spaces^^.

You can also drop a bomb by pressing "b" and activate it by clicking on it. Also shooting is now avaible if you collect some items. By pressing Space.
Well i know restart button is buggy and also the highscorelist isnt shown yet.

So thank you for feedback and opinions (comments).

Click HERE to play laugh

Posted By: rayp

Re: What are you working on? - 03/02/13 20:17

Scripting / painting new windowstyles and buttons for future (non 3dgs) projects. Windows move out/in smoothly when activated.

Re: What are you working on? - 03/18/13 11:54

Damocles@ I can't PM you man.. you are over your Private Topic limit.

Sorry for offtopic guys..

Re: What are you working on? - 03/18/13 12:36

@3run

send you a PM

Re: What are you working on? - 03/19/13 16:13

Expanding my raytracer with an IDE and realtime preview.
Type and see immidiate changes to the scene

Re: What are you working on? - 03/26/13 03:14

Improved voxel rendering

Re: What are you working on? - 03/26/13 08:36

I'm slightly confused what you are really doing smile but keep it up wink

Re: What are you working on? - 04/19/13 23:30

I'm just testing out the possibilities of GP GPU wink

But i finally found a target project:

It actually renders between 30 and 60 FPS, depending on Windows atm...
I need a different technique to render to the screen, not GDI+
Posted By: Quad

Re: What are you working on? - 04/21/13 18:40

opengl or directx is not a suitable option?

Re: What are you working on? - 04/21/13 21:29

if you know a way to do realtime raytracing with directX or OpenGL, tell me...

Re: What are you working on? - 04/21/13 22:41

I think he meant to use it to replace gdi. Just write into a texture which you render as fullscreen quad/blit into the backbuffer, or write directly into the backbuffer, but I am not sure if that is possible anymore.

Re: What are you working on? - 04/22/13 09:18

It is possible, but it's much slower than using GDI.
I've tried both versions (GDI+ and OpenGL) and OpenGL was about 7 FPS and with GDI+ i had about 250 FPS.

Re: What are you working on? - 04/22/13 11:21

Then, you are doing something wrong...

Re: What are you working on? - 04/22/13 11:51

I know, i know. But i'm already using the glSubTexture to update the textures. I think there is some problem with the color format, because it's completly optimized for GDI+

Re: What are you working on? - 04/24/13 14:39

Okay, got OpenCL-GL Interop working now, all stuff is directly rendered into a texture now and this texture is shown via a textured quad:
Posted By: rayp

Re: What are you working on? - 04/24/13 15:17

cool. Reminds me on wolfenstein ^^
Posted By: zwecklos

Re: What are you working on? - 05/16/13 20:33

Heya folks

After a very long time of absence in game development, I started to think about to go ahead with some ideas I had some time ago. My first approach was, to check out some of our old projects, trying to find a adequate base to begin...

Then I found this :

And now I decided, to go on with that project first, before I start with the new stuff laugh

There are many things that I wanted to add to that project, but never found the time to do it. So now I have some time left, and I will go on and finishing it. And also, when there is time, I will try to do a port for android. Always wanted to get into the android sdk stuff cool

If you guys have some time left and want to try it out, some hints first:

You can start the boss fight against the frog, with pressing the L key on your keyboard. But make sure that your level is high enough, the boss-frog is really bad-ass!

Also make sure, that you return to the base hive when you are low on hitpoints, it will be refilled then.

In the space of the hive, you can trade your collected honey for skillpoints to improve your skills.

Every enemy-bee has a colored tag, that shows you how strong it is. If you are a low-level bee, be aware that you’re not going to cross the way of a red/skulled enemy bee. It will kill you instantly wink

Here the link : http://www.roxxor.ch/bbi.html

cheers
Zwecklos

edit:
Forgot to mention that you can do a powershot with pressing the left mouse button and holding it. Release it when it is full of charge.

Re: What are you working on? - 05/19/13 23:22

for this :

http://www.gameartisans.org/forums/threads/61935-3d-mini-46-good-cop-bad-cop

Re: What are you working on? - 05/19/13 23:36

looks pretty cool, but the way he holds his gun is unrealistic.
the gun seems to be a larger caliber so if he pulls the trigger he would knock out himself 'cause the gun will hit his head laugh

Take a look at this video (around 1:00):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=L1cMaNXP9sg#t=65s

Maybe you can change the way he holds the gun, would definitly be better than now

Re: What are you working on? - 05/19/13 23:59

Well I wanted the whole, badass i dont need both hands, look. non realistic? idk, but I like it anyways. that said... the arm did need to be straightened so i have reuploaded it. quite frankly, if the weapon poly limit wouldnt have been 500, he would be dual wielding.

Re: What are you working on? - 05/24/13 00:04

Re: What are you working on? - 06/15/13 02:13

Slowly but surely
Posted By: VPrime

Re: What are you working on? - 06/17/13 02:06

Hey guys, haven't been here for a while.. But here is what we have been working on! [video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZUNhviJLr8[/video]

It's called GamePress, an iPad app that allows you to make games with no programming! Its limited to 2D games, but it is pretty powerful.

If you have an iPad 2,3,4,mini and want to test it out send me a PM with you email and I will send an invite through testflightapp.com

Re: What are you working on? - 07/19/13 16:03

So, KarBOOM's still happening. Now in (and I apologise) Unity 4.

There's actually nothing in Unity KB that I couldn't do in GS KB, feature-wise. And since I'm using the free version of Unity, there are visual things I can't do that I could do with my edition of GS (shadows, reflections and bloom, namely). But Unity supports Mac and Linux as well, so Unity it is.

There are now 3 weight-classes, the middle one being the regular KB kar; the smaller one being lighter (easier to knock around), having more vulnerable weak spots, and being more agile; and the bigger one being heavier (harder to knock around), having harder to reach weak spots, and being quite sluggish.

The ball is for KarBall - basically car soccer.

Re: What are you working on? - 07/19/13 18:38

sad, but if Mac and Linux is more important than nice effects... will you do it for android too? as I remember it is now supported by unity free.

Re: What are you working on? - 07/19/13 18:39

Originally Posted By: JibbSmart
So, KarBOOM's still happening.
Yeeeah! grin
Originally Posted By: JibbSmart
Now in (and I apologise) Unity 4.
Booooh! mad

Just kidding. I'm glad you're still alive and kicking. Do you have a unity gameplay movie?

Re: What are you working on? - 07/19/13 19:20

Yeah, nice to see that you are making progress. What happened to the idea of using a custom engine for the game?

I would like to see a gameplay video, too, especially from the soccer mode!

Re: What are you working on? - 07/19/13 19:42

Thanks guys laugh
sad, but if Mac and Linux is more important than nice effects...
I'm a huge fan of nice effects (as I know you are as well, from your stuff in the GS "What are you working on?" thread), but you can get things looking pretty nice without render-to-texture features (this is why cheaper/free versions of GS should support shaders even if they don't support render-to-texture). And if I can start selling KB I can buy Unity Pro, get it working with shadows, bloom, and so on, and release a free update laugh
will you do it for android too? as I remember it is now supported by unity free.
I've been entertaining the idea of doing android. Control wise, it's difficult, but for the sake of players who have neither gamepads nor a decent keyboard (by "decent" I mean one that can handle more than a few keys being pressed at the same time) I think I should add some sort of mouse-based control option. That might end up being the closest analogue to a decent touch-screen control system. The main reason I'm considering android, however, is for the Ouya, since it comes with a gamepad.
Originally Posted By: Superku
What happened to the idea of using a custom engine for the game?
It was coming along, but taking a long time. Then Unity announced Linux support, so I thought, "Let's see how far I can get porting KB in one week, and decide if it's worth it, because I'd rather make games than game engines." Unity was great, so I've stuck with it.

That was quite a few months ago... sometime last year, I think. But in my last year of university, I had to prioritise my studies. The last couple of weeks have been ridiculously productive, and I anticipate the next few being productive as well.
Originally Posted By: Uhrwerk
Do you have a unity gameplay movie?
Originally Posted By: Superku
I would like to see a gameplay video, too, especially from the soccer mode!
I'd love to show something tongue But most people I know are away for the Summer (hence my high productivity), and I don't have bots working yet, so it's really hard to show it in action (and unfortunately, properly test and balancing the different properties of the different weight-classes). Soon, though! When I have more, I'll open a KB-specific thread in Morbius instead of hogging this thread laugh

Thanks again for the support grin

Re: What are you working on? - 07/21/13 16:59

it's very interesting what different engines offer for free... probably 3dgs could change a bit... I hope blob shadows of unity can work fast enough (but on flat surfaces you can use mesh based fake shadows too).
and yes, I think the same, Ouya can be a good target soon, other android based devices are more difficult to develop for.

Re: What are you working on? - 10/17/13 08:40

just played with Esetnhel engine 1.0 again, and made a stupid RTS group movement code featuring line formation and group orientation due to path direction (only 500 lines is the whole together with rendering and debug info drawing stuff) using the built in navmesh pathfinder and physx (fine with 125 soldiers but becomes slow when 250 ones are onscreen).
( I could do the same in 3DGS easily (using my own area system instead of navmesh), probably by much more work (but having maybe more options for performance optimization). )

Posted By: Puppeteer

Re: What are you working on? - 05/02/14 15:03

I am currently working on a Unity project.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTq1Hl86Wz8

Re: What are you working on? - 05/02/14 15:16

Originally Posted By: Puppeteer
I am currently working on a Unity project.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTq1Hl86Wz8

Really? I thought it was made with 3DGS. What's the reason for changing?

Re: What are you working on? - 05/02/14 16:41

Did you create those city building models on your own?

Re: What are you working on? - 05/03/14 14:34

looks very nice, I like the style, maybe such a large environment would run too slow in 3dgs (with real-time shadows)...
Posted By: Puppeteer

Re: What are you working on? - 05/05/14 11:16

@Oliver: We changed it to have a more reliable system with a better reputation. And once I got the hang over Unity it really gave me a huge improvement over my workflow (OOP!!!!) (And we are also using Swig to directly wrap our C++ Classes and stuff in C#).

@PadMalcom: Those houses are procedurally generated. (There are some base models that are combined into one house + magic)

Re: What are you working on? - 05/11/14 21:21

These goblins are at war with some slimes and rats:

We've put natural rivalries into the game, so certain creatures just do not like each other and will take any chance to have a go at one another.

Of course the goblins have a distinct advantage with all of their weapons and armor, but I've seen them overwhelmed by rats and other nasties at times, the poor fools.
Posted By: the_clown

Re: What are you working on? - 07/08/14 09:36

I'm pretty happy about how my first deferred renderer has evolved over the past few weeks.
This is were we came from...

...and this is where we are now. laugh

Re: What are you working on? - 07/08/14 13:39

why is it worthy to create your own renderer, do you need special optimizations what you cannot get elsewhere by game or rendering engines?
Posted By: the_clown

Re: What are you working on? - 07/08/14 14:43

why is it worthy to create your own renderer, do you need special optimizations what you cannot get elsewhere by game or rendering engines?

Well, for once, it does offer a certain fexibility - a custom renderer for a game will always perform better than an all-purpose renderer written for an all-purpose game engine.
Besides, there's several reasons why I personally would say it's worth it.
First of all, this specific renderer was written for a practical course at University (I'm a computer science student). As the title in the window suggests, we have to create a small game aimed to be played with the Oculus Rift. Using another engine wasn't any option anyways for this project, as it's basically the point of the course to write an own engine. I'm mainly responsible for the graphics programming, together with another student who has implemented the very simple shadowmapping seen in the screenshots as well as skeletal animations and the import/export pipeline for the 3d assets. Lately I've refactored the whole rendering pipeline because it was rather inflexible and didn't support gamma correct rendering and HDR, which it does now. And boy, did that feel good. What brings me to the second point, there's people who only make games using the tools they can find, and that's fine, but there's also those who actually create these tools (and sometimes make games with them theirselves), and if I had to choose one path I'd choose the latter. I just like doing things from a certain level of scratch, so to speak. laugh
There's a high level of satisfaction when a game you programmed is fun, but that's nothing compared to the level of satisfaction you feel when you know that game runs on your own engine.

So to sum it up, I just like doing it, it gives me kicks that simple game programming doesn't, and it's simply cool as fuck to have your own engine. tongue

Re: What are you working on? - 09/30/14 18:09

Gettin' into proc tex stuffs: http://imgur.com/a/2aZT9
Posted By: painkiller

Re: What are you working on? - 07/23/17 19:52

I would like to bump this thread. There is lot of people on the forum that used gamestudio in the past and aren't using it anymore or at least not for their current projects. I think it would be nice to try to keep the community alive showing here what you are working on using other engines and receive some feedback from the users that are still here tongue .

--------------------------------------------------------

In my case during the last weeks I have been working on Unity porting the medieval project.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFifzzlaqmQ[/video]
https://youtu.be/lFifzzlaqmQ

I'm kinda happy with the result of the combat system but not sure if I will continue working on it.
I made the character's using Mixamo/Adobe Fuse and the weapon models are the same I was using on gamestudio, which I got on the Unity Asset Store. The point is that I don't feel capable of keeping the high graphics quality the character and weapons have on a complete game with environments, props and so on (without spending a fortune buying stuff on stores for everything grin ). I have tried a WED-like approach using cgtextures and a free plugin called sabreCSG (it lets you build a level based in blocks) but the "blocky" look doesn't fit with the style.
So I will probably leave it as it is and come back to gamestudio and focus on simple graphics avoiding a realistic look as nowadays that's not in reach for an indie-dev, moreover for a one man project.
© 2024 lite-C Forums