android texture creation app

Posted By: lostclimate

android texture creation app - 10/23/11 18:27

Well, just wondered what others thought about this.

Say your walking along and you see a texture you want in your game. You open this app snap a picture have the program auto-magically make it tilable, and create a normal map for it. Obviously it wouldn't be perfect for all textures, but for simple textures with out large distinctive marks or lines, out would make it a breeze to get some quick resources..

Thoughts?
Posted By: Quad

Re: android texture creation app - 10/23/11 18:37

my thought is that cellphone cameras suck grin
Posted By: painkiller

Re: android texture creation app - 10/23/11 18:39

If you have a good phone camera it can be great
Posted By: HeelX

Re: android texture creation app - 10/23/11 18:41

Originally Posted By: lostclimate
Say your walking along and you see a texture you want in your game. You open this app snap a picture have the program auto-magically make it tilable, and create a normal map for it. Obviously it wouldn't be perfect for all textures, but for simple textures with out large distinctive marks or lines, out would make it a breeze to get some quick resources.

Sounds like a cool idea - if you are into smartphone programming - give it a shot!

But actually it looks better to me to transfer the pictures later on my PC and edit them there - it gives me more power, more accuracy and other tools, which, combined, will lead to an instant higher degree of quality, ain't it?
Posted By: lostclimate

Re: android texture creation app - 10/23/11 20:42

I'm saying for simple things like concrete, tight grain wood, leather, or low contrast surfaces with a few different blending operations. You do give me a good idea, maybe add an option for saving textures in a system of some sort that makes it quick to optimize the pictures for manual editing for more detailed textures. Whatcha think? As far as the resolution thing, I still use a lot of 1024^2 images .
© 2024 lite-C Forums