What`s your favorite beer type?

Posted By: Rondidon

What`s your favorite beer type? - 12/08/11 23:50

I`m searching for quality beers with a friend of mine and we`re wondering what`s your favorite beer type? Wheat beer or pilsner? Bitburger or Paulaner? German or American? And: How much do you drink?

We have three favorites: Königsbacher Pilsner (my favorite), Stuttgarter Hofbräu (best local beer in Baden-Württemberg) and Bitburger (best local beer in Rheinland-Pfalz). The best non-German beer is "Bofferding" (Luxemburg).

Oh, and my personal favorite that can not be buyed in stores is "Mönchwasen". That`s a little "Hausbrauerei" (local pub and brewery) near my hometown. http://www.moenchwasen.com/ .
Posted By: Superku

Re: What`s you favorite beer type? - 12/09/11 00:18

My favorite beer is by far the beer from the local pub and brewery Kieler Brauerei (that does not help you, I know wink ), it has a unique taste. German (/ European) beer all the way, IMO Canadian beer is from hell (sorry Jibb).
Posted By: JibbSmart

Re: What`s you favorite beer type? - 12/09/11 00:21

grin I don't like beer (or anything with enough alcohol in it to taste frown ), so the beer here wouldn't bother me any more than it did back in Australia.

I hear good things about German beer, though, so I may have to try some if I ever get over there!

Re: What`s you favorite beer type? - 12/09/11 00:31

I think Bitburger is also available in America. Maybe you can buy it online at Amazon foodstore or at a big supermarket (Wal Mart?). By the way, what happens if you get caught by police with a beer if you`re under 21 in America? And what do you pay for a regular beer? In Germany it`s about 50 cent for a qaulity beer (a bit more than half a dollar).
Posted By: WretchedSid

Re: What`s you favorite beer type? - 12/09/11 00:47

America, Canada, US... get your geography straight wink

I personally only drink what people decided was good enough to be put in front of me (I probably drink only bad tasting beer...), but thats also why I look like a deer on a street facing a car when people ask me "so, what beer shall we buy?" (hint: HeelX, I mean you ^^).
Posted By: JibbSmart

Re: What`s you favorite beer type? - 12/09/11 00:48

Quote:
By the way, what happens if you get caught by police with a beer if you`re under 21 in America?
Hmmm... we should send Redeemer out for some "practical" research.
Quote:
And what do you pay for a regular beer?
No idea, but probably a lot more than 50 cents! That's amazing that you guys can get good beer for so cheap! I haven't bought a beer since my 18th birthday in Australia (since that's drinking age there), and I don't remember how much that was. Next time I'm in the liquor store (a good stew needs some booze) I'll look out for beer prices if you want to know what Canada's like -- I imagine the US is pretty similar.
Posted By: Harry Potter

Re: What`s you favorite beer type? - 12/09/11 00:59

Kapsreiter smile ... What Else?! grin

Schmeckt mir nicht nur am besten, sondern hat auch eine hohe Auszeichnung (Quelle):
Quote:
Höchste Auszeichnung für das Kapsreiter Landbier hell 2011

HÖCHSTE AUSZEICHNUNG
beim schwersten Biertest der Welt erhielt die Brauerei Kapsreiter den
GOLDENEN DLG-Preis 2011 für das LANDBIER HELL

Voraussetzung für die Teilnahme an der internationalen DLG-Qualitätsprüfung Bier ist, dass nach dem deutschen Reinheitsgebot von 1516 gebraut wurde.

Zehn Sachverständige untersuchen von jedem Bier jeweils zwei unterschiedlich alte Proben. Zwischen der frischen und der älteren Probe darf es keine spürbare Abweichung geben. Reinheit des Geschmacks, Qualität der Bittere, Vollmundigkeit, Frische und Geschmacksstabilität sind die wesentlichen Kriterien, nach denen untersucht wird.
Das Bier muss außerdem seine Geschmackstabilität während der Lagerung beweisen. Neben der verdeckten Verkostung werden in aufwendigen Laboranalysen Schaumhaltbarkeit, Extrakt-, Alkohol- und Stammwürzegehalt, Trübung und Haltbarkeit untersucht.

Re: What`s you favorite beer type? - 12/09/11 01:20

Yes, that would be interesting. Maybe you could also check the prices for German beers (hint: "Bitburger" "Warsteiner" "Paulaner" are exporting to US, maybe also Canada.) The beer culture has a long tradition over here. Every bigger city has its own beer bewerys and beer types. We have more brewerys than any other country in the world. The quality is very high because of the "German purity law". In Bavaria beer is deemed to be staple food. Beer is legal from 14 years on in company of the parents or from 16 years on for everybody. If you`re interested in German beer culture: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n47zPRKVa...5567EC0D4ED2DD4 .

@Harry: Very interesting. Never heard from Kapsreiter before. Do you know where to buy it in Germany? It`s an Austrian beer. Do I have to import it? laugh
Posted By: Redeemer

Re: What`s you favorite beer type? - 12/09/11 01:49

Originally Posted By: JibbSmart
Originally Posted By: Rondidon
By the way, what happens if you get caught by police with a beer if you`re under 21 in America?

Hmmm... we should send Redeemer out for some "practical" research.

grin

In all seriousness though, it varies by state. Where I live (Indiana), it's not illegal to give alcohol to people under 21; they just can't buy it themselves. Supposedly it's illegal to handle alcohol before it's been bought (?), but I've never seen or heard of this being enforced on anyone.

As for my favorite type of beer, I can't really say; because of the aforementioned law against selling alcohol to minors I'm limited to the selection of my parents and older siblings. Corona seems pretty good, but we import that from Mexico.

EDIT: I almost forgot to mention: Vodka is pretty good (although it's not beer) when it's combined with cranberry juice, although I could never drink it without the juice... there's just not enough flavor otherwise.

Re: What`s you favorite beer type? - 12/09/11 01:50

Interesting fact, the Pils beer is, assumingly, named after the Bilsenkraut which was used instead of hop long before the german purity law was enforced by the church. But, the Bilsenkraut is a drug which also affected the sexdrive of people drinking beer (and hitting the lethal dose is very easy too), so they (by which I mean, 'The Church') started experimenting with different ingredients and ended up with Hop which results in beer that stops the sexdrive almost completely and also darkens the mood of the user.
Source: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwarzes_Bilsenkraut

Re: What`s you favorite beer type? - 12/09/11 02:11

Well, that`s a repeating story in history. "Coca" Cola also used to be a drug (Coca plants instead of caffeine) until some people exaggerated the use of it. But I think Binsenkraut is by far more dangerous than coca plants. Probably the church wanted to protect people from going crazy / getting controlled by the devil. And all has its good: Without the purity law you wouldn`t drink ecological beer without additives nowdays.

Quote:
Vodka is pretty good (although it's not beer) when it's combined with cranberry juice, although I could never drink it without the juice... there's just not enough flavor otherwise.

Jack Daniels + Cola + icecubes is better laugh . But you have to be careful with that. grin
Posted By: Harry Potter

Re: What`s you favorite beer type? - 12/09/11 02:27

Originally Posted By: Rondidon
Never heard from Kapsreiter before. Do you know where to buy it in Germany? It`s an Austrian beer. Do I have to import it? laugh
Auf Dooyoo - Kaufberatung online wird es als internationales Bier bezeichnet, das jedoch den Nachteil hat, dass es nur schwer erhältlich ist. Aber ich glaube, es schon mal in Deutschland gesehen zu haben. Weiß aber nicht mehr wo.
Dooyoo schreibt darüber:
Quote:
Biersorte: International
Vorteile: exzellenter Geschmack
Nachteile: schwer erhältlich

Schon durch die Bügelverschlußflasche sticht dieses Bier (leider viel zu selten) im Regal hervor. Es ist ein eher hopfiges aber nicht sehr bitteres Vollbier das eine leicht dunkle Färbung hat.
Dieses Bier ist kein Bier zum über den Durst trinken, es ist viel mehr ein Bier für Genießer. Kapsreiter Landbier harmoniert ideal mit der altösterreichischen Küche.
Erhältlich ist dieses Bier im gut sortierten Getränkehandel und in gut geführten Lokalen. Ich kann jedem Biertrinker und jeder Beirtrinkerin nur empfehlen dieses Bier zu testen und zu genießen.

In Österreich gibt es das Bier in jedem BILLA-Supermarkt (REWE-Gruppe). Vielleicht gibt es das Bier ja in Deutschland bei irgendeinem REWE-Supermarkt?!

Da Kapsreiter von der Ottakringer-Brauerei aufgekauft wurde, kann man es auf deren Seite bestellen: Ottakringer Shop - Party & Bier
Du kannst dort auch ein 50-Liter-Fass für 106,40 Euro kaufen. grin

Eigentlich sollte ich eine Provision bekommen, für soooo viel Werbung. grin

Re: What`s you favorite beer type? - 12/09/11 02:31

I wasn't saying that the church did something evil, I just wanted to throw this tidbit in. But yes, Bilsenkraut isn't something you want to really take, like I said, the lethal dose is extremely near to the dose you need to get high (which also isn't much).
Another interesting tidbit, european shamans peed out of their window after taking drugs (which I guess was very common back then), and other people gathered around it to catch the pee and drink it since it still had enough of the drug in it but wouldn't kill you (*)

(*)disclaimer: Doesn't work with every drug, you might some of the rare edgecases who dies right after taking just a little bit of the drug. Don't try this at home!
Posted By: Redeemer

Re: What`s you favorite beer type? - 12/09/11 02:50

Originally Posted By: JustSid
Don't try this at home!

I don't need a disclaimer to keep myself from drinking some persian dude's pee, thanks.

Re: What`s you favorite beer type? - 12/09/11 03:00

@Sid: Ok.. interesting story grin

@Harry: Thanks for your hints. I`ll check the local Rewe store tomorrrow.

Edit: @Sajeh 2 Posts weiter unten: Meinst du im Steam wegen ner Runde zocken? Ich schau nachher mal rein. Sry, war die letzten Tage kaum online. laugh
Posted By: lostclimate

Re: What`s you favorite beer type? - 12/09/11 04:21

Originally Posted By: JibbSmart
grin I don't like beer (or anything with enough alcohol in it to taste frown ), so the beer here wouldn't bother me any more than it did back in Australia.

I hear good things about German beer, though, so I may have to try some if I ever get over there!

I can relate, i never got why people like beer. once in a while one is ok i guess, but id like me a captain and coke, or a dj lemonade laugh
Posted By: Sajeth

Re: What`s you favorite beer type? - 12/09/11 05:37

I only drink black beer (love Porter), I'm more of a whiskey type.

Rondidon du Verräter, melde dich mal endlich tongue
Posted By: Tempelbauer

Re: What`s you favorite beer type? - 12/09/11 07:25

Kreuzbergbier! Was besseres gibts nicht
Posted By: gri

Re: What`s you favorite beer type? - 12/09/11 09:08

1. Augustiner

2. Binding Lager

3. Sternquell
Posted By: AlbertoT

Re: What`s you favorite beer type? - 12/09/11 11:04

well I hate beer and alchol in general
but my question is
Can people really distinguish a beer with a blind test ?
We made this test with a friend who claimed to be a whiskey expert
He could not distinguish a supposed top brand from a cheap one
I read that in a Sommelier dinner it was served a white wine with some tasteless additive to make it red
None of the wine gurus realized that he was drinkng a white wine with meat
Posted By: gri

Re: What`s you favorite beer type? - 12/09/11 11:37

yes everyone has its own taste . And I wouldnt go with an "expert" who is commanding that beer_xyz is the best.

I dont know the diffrence between champagne and sparkling wine.
But if the sparkle stuff tasts better I would the public brand No.1 raining down in the sink.
Posted By: Shadow969

Re: What`s you favorite beer type? - 12/09/11 11:58

not really into beer, so mostly i grab the first one i see laugh (last time it was bud). usually i drink cider (somersby)

btw most of the brands discussed here were new for me - strange

Re: What`s you favorite beer type? - 12/09/11 14:05

Originally Posted By: gri

I dont know the diffrence between champagne and sparkling wine.
But if the sparkle stuff tasts better I would the public brand No.1 raining down in the sink.

There are huge differences in quality of sparkling wines. The more expensive ones ("traditional method", "bottle fermentation") are based on local quality wines instead of cheapies, they don`t have additives and the producers use bottle fermentation in the making. It`s comparable to the purity requirement in German beer brewerys instead of internatinal beers which has additives like sugar, "flavor enhancers", preservatives. And you really taste that, too. Problem is the price: ~10€ per bottle laugh

There are also huge differences in beer types. I mostly know European beers which are believed to be the best ones, but even here there are differences in quality and/or tastiness. Scottish beer for example is a lot different than bavarian beers. And bavarian beers are set apart from beer from northern Germany.

Some time ago I tasted a chinese beer in Shanghai. No comment. wink
Posted By: Joozey

Re: What`s you favorite beer type? - 12/09/11 14:28

Guinness. About the only one I like.
Posted By: fogman

Re: What`s you favorite beer type? - 12/09/11 14:54

"Kreuzbergbier! Was besseres gibts nicht"

+1
But only the dark beer.
http://www.kreuzbergbier.de/brauerei/index.php

Re: What`s you favorite beer type? - 12/09/11 15:34

Wow, Fogman, you`re still alive laugh How`s it going?

I don`t like dark beer that much. Tastes too "heavy" for me. I`m one the Pils guys. laugh
Posted By: FBL

Re: What`s you favorite beer type? - 12/09/11 17:05

..and since the dark beer is not served everywhere...

Posted By: old_bill

Re: What`s you favorite beer type? - 12/11/11 12:06

There's nothing else but a Tegernseer Bier laugh

Posted By: Iglarion

Re: What`s you favorite beer type? - 12/11/11 14:08

My favorite "JELEN":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31BfAto13nM

Also a canned version (good for cooling) wink

Posted By: FBL

Re: What`s you favorite beer type? - 12/12/11 22:37

Originally Posted By: old_bill
There's nothing else but a Tegernseer Bier laugh

2nd choice for me. Also very good.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: What`s you favorite beer type? - 12/13/11 09:51

best beer of the wordl (bals oberaudorf [boisei])
© 2024 lite-C Forums