Unity iOS/Android basic editions for free (until 8th April)

Posted By: Rei_Ayanami

Unity iOS/Android basic editions for free (until 8th April) - 03/05/12 18:20

Hey,

you might want to check out this - https://store.unity3d.com/

Have a nice day,
Marian
Posted By: painkiller

Re: Unity iOS/Android basic editions for free (until 8th April) - 03/06/12 10:02

just got it grin
Posted By: Lukas

Re: Unity iOS/Android basic editions for free (until 8th April) - 03/06/12 16:56

Is the store slow and buggy to anyone else, too? Also when I try to check out, I get "500 - Internal Server Error". Yesterday, when I tried it, I already got this error just when I entered the website.

Re: Unity iOS/Android basic editions for free (until 8th April) - 03/06/12 17:41

Many people are requesting the free versions, so yeah, it is quite buggy atm.
Posted By: MrGuest

Re: Unity iOS/Android basic editions for free (until 8th April) - 03/06/12 22:42

Great! Thanks for the heads up! got Internal Server Errors all last night but working well tonight grin

Re: Unity iOS/Android basic editions for free (until 8th April) - 03/07/12 15:04

It eventually worked for me, too. laugh
Posted By: RealSerious3D

Re: Unity iOS/Android basic editions for free (until 8th April) - 03/07/12 15:13

Unity3D is now free (for the non-pro version)? When did that happen?

Re: Unity iOS/Android basic editions for free (until 8th April) - 03/07/12 15:40

I think it was at least a year ago. Propably during your... absence.
Posted By: RealSerious3D

Re: Unity iOS/Android basic editions for free (until 8th April) - 03/07/12 16:23

No. I was looking at a demo of Unity3D last year and was considering purchasing a version of it.
Posted By: Why_Do_I_Die

Re: Unity iOS/Android basic editions for free (until 8th April) - 03/07/12 17:12

for the people getting the 500 error, just do a refresh (ctrl f5) untill it goes through, cuz u can get the server error in the middle of the checkout or when asked to log i ect..., but wherever u get stuck just refresh until it goes through and continue the process, I assume they're getting a lotof requests or something.
Posted By: painkiller

Re: Unity iOS/Android basic editions for free (until 8th April) - 03/07/12 20:41

hmm now that some of us have Unity: In GS we have the WED/MED tutorials and Lite-C Workshops to get started with the engine, anyone can give us some advice about where can we begin with unity?
Posted By: Rondidon

Re: Unity iOS/Android basic editions for free (until 8th April) - 03/07/12 20:47

For Germany: http://www.unity-insider.de/ laugh

Re: Unity iOS/Android basic editions for free (until 8th April) - 03/07/12 21:05

Unity has tutorial projects on the tutorial site, a nice documentation and a forum laugh

(It has a few video tutorials on their site and many on youtube)
Posted By: lostclimate

Re: Unity iOS/Android basic editions for free (until 8th April) - 03/08/12 21:10

@whydoidie: wow. havent seen you in a while.

ot: very cool, will download this when i leave work.
Posted By: VPrime

Re: Unity iOS/Android basic editions for free (until 8th April) - 03/09/12 00:39

already had the iPhone version.. Got a copy of android..................... Then 4 more license of each laugh
Posted By: ventilator

Re: Unity iOS/Android basic editions for free (until 8th April) - 03/10/12 13:26

are the new "native client" and flash export options included in the free version? or are they pro only?

Re: Unity iOS/Android basic editions for free (until 8th April) - 03/10/12 14:08

Originally Posted By: Unity - Flash Player (preview)
This is a pre-release version of our Flash publishing option. It will ship in a later version of Unity as an add-on license.
I compiles now and works as you'd expect though I guess you'll have to wait for the license to be done before you can start distributing.
Posted By: alpha_strike

Re: Unity iOS/Android basic editions for free (until 8th April) - 03/10/12 20:02

...but donīt forget... behind the big editor concept - there is a even bigger challenge... a complicate script logic.
If you have problems with litec.. you will have no chance with unity.

Re: Unity iOS/Android basic editions for free (until 8th April) - 03/10/12 20:15

>>implying that JavaScript/C# is harder to learn than LiteC.
There are way more tutorials on the web for example. (Plus all the possibilities) (;
Posted By: Toast

Re: Unity iOS/Android basic editions for free (until 8th April) - 03/10/12 22:28

One also might want to watch burgzergarcade's tutorial series which make the scripting part some people here seem to see as complicated look like a piece of cake even though it's about C# and not Javascript...

http://www.burgzergarcade.com/hack-slash-rpg-unity3d-game-engine-tutorial

It's also neat to see some general approaches for doing a RPG. Overall one of the best tutorials I've ever watched and with currently 270 episodes ā 10-20 minutes a quite extensive one (which hopefully gets continued once the author has some spare time again)...
Posted By: WretchedSid

Re: Unity iOS/Android basic editions for free (until 8th April) - 03/10/12 22:35

@Alpha, don't mix up language and API, they are two very different pairs of shoes!

Re: Unity iOS/Android basic editions for free (until 8th April) - 03/10/12 22:56

yes! the gamestudio api is easy. i wouldn't really call lite-c easy. certainly not easier than the unity languages.

there are many nasty traps for beginners. it also is no modern language. no automatic memory management, no standard library with nice high level data structures, no useable debugger,...
Posted By: JibbSmart

Re: Unity iOS/Android basic editions for free (until 8th April) - 03/11/12 00:38

Quote:
no automatic memory management
I still consider this a plus.

Re: Unity iOS/Android basic editions for free (until 8th April) - 03/11/12 01:04

lite-c isn't really meant for writing operating system kernels or render engine cores or low level stuff like that. for gameplay code managed languages are much more productive.
Posted By: JibbSmart

Re: Unity iOS/Android basic editions for free (until 8th April) - 03/11/12 01:58

Managed languages tend to (from what I've read, and from what I know might vary from language to language) do their garbage collection in one go rather than regularly and over time. This is great for event-based applications where a sudden stutter will go unnoticed, but doesn't suit applications where a smooth framerate throughout is desirable.

Re: Unity iOS/Android basic editions for free (until 8th April) - 03/11/12 08:41

O.k. let me tell it with my words. I use gamestudio with the attitude of a hobby developer. I am no kernel programmer, I always use script languages like action script / lingo / liteC and now, of course javaScript... it is this, what you mean, sid, "API" - yes, then this is my way. And now I am totally fascinated of the editor comfort of unity. I worked long time and still work sometimes with Cinema4D... and I just thought, that the unity concept comes near to these 3d-Applications. This was totally cool for me.

And I think... my way is the way of the majority hobby developers. If I would be a programmer, why should I work with an engine like gameStudio or Unity?

O.k. let me tell you more. Since months I am owner of the UPro-Vesion but with my rare spare time, I have a fucking hard work to learn javaScript. Every day less then maybe one hour. And I personally think that the JavaScript System is a true challenge.

So I am very proud that a publisher gave me a contract for my last game this year.
My last project was made with gameStudio. And - I mentioned it before - now I work on an adventure... but I saw, that I am not familiar enough with Javascript - so I decided to work it out with gamestudio... again.

But my target is clear... the final change to unity.
So all I want to say... donīt blend yourself with an AAA-Bookcover. As a normal scripter it will be harder to master javaScript then liteC. Just my personal opinion as a hobby developer with over 10 commercial published hobby products on the market.
Posted By: Machinery_Frank

Re: Unity iOS/Android basic editions for free (until 8th April) - 03/11/12 10:12

At Dexsoft we are working on some games again. And both of us, Dejan an me did programming and art. We found that it is as easy as Gamestudio. JavaScript is quite powerful, has quite some object oriented options. And it produces only little code. But the same is possible with even more options in C#.

The interesting part is that Dejan did not even needed tutorials. He said that his knowledge of Gamestudio is enough to program Unity.

I can recommend you a very easy beginner tutorial that helped me a lot (JavaScript):
http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/26785-Unity-Jump-Start-Video-Tutorials
With this course you have a game ready in a few hours (including 4 scenes, GUI, player, enemy, win and lose and projectile-logics, colliders, counters).

The same game created in C# with a few more details and better programming comments from 3dBuzz:
http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/37093-Over-7-hours-of-Unity-Training-Videos-Download-them-now!

Besides that there is a good Unity course from the Walker Boys that also explains JavaScript in detail:
http://www.walkerboystudio.com/html/unity_training___free__.html

Re: Unity iOS/Android basic editions for free (until 8th April) - 03/11/12 11:06

Wow... maybe my learning curve is not so progressive then yours, no problem with that. But you gave me the very honorable tip for this code based book "Game Development by example" and I must admit... my learning donīt stop by...say... page 108 - remember? The problem with Quaternion.Slerp();.I did not stop by fucking in this code... I switched to the scripting reference and tryed out to understand, what the code does. The same I did with the autolayout of Gui Systems. Even such a small code like "GuiText"... Everytime, I did a clue what the engine is doing, I just switched to the reference and tryed out every single function of a class. ...and just look at these amazing tons of functions of the GUI-Class. I could not understand all the functions in 1 hour. Congrats, if somebody is able to study the stuff in a few hours. I am not.

btw.Thanks for the new tuts!

Re: Unity iOS/Android basic editions for free (until 8th April) - 03/11/12 11:13

Originally Posted By: JibbSmart
Managed languages tend to (from what I've read, and from what I know might vary from language to language) do their garbage collection in one go rather than regularly and over time. This is great for event-based applications where a sudden stutter will go unnoticed, but doesn't suit applications where a smooth framerate throughout is desirable.

yes, it depends on the type of the garbage collector and just like with manual memory managment you shouldn't cause the allocation of a lot of memory in inner loops. but it is no big deal. i think in unity there also is a function for forcing the collection of garbage at the intervals you want.

unityscript has nothing to do with javascript. javascript is something totally different. you could also call lite-c javascript. the similarity is about the same. laugh and unityscript for sure isn't harder than lite-c. the api is the difference. i agree that the unity api is more overwhelming at first.

i wouldn't use unityscript though. proprietary languages lock you in.
Posted By: Machinery_Frank

Re: Unity iOS/Android basic editions for free (until 8th April) - 03/11/12 11:55

Originally Posted By: alpha_strike
Congrats, if somebody is able to study the stuff in a few hours. I am not.

Our approach is just different. We did not try to understand every API command. We just made a 2d-physics game and started to work on a 2.5d adventure prototype. So we dont need to know every option of the engine at this moment.

Our work is always more goal-driven. We dont have unlimited time and try to do as much as we can with the given resources we can spend. This is just an economical approach.

Re: Unity iOS/Android basic editions for free (until 8th April) - 03/18/12 01:39

I've gotta ask, and answer honestly please,

After using Unity for 3-7days how many people have now said so long to 3DGS?
Posted By: EvilSOB

Re: Unity iOS/Android basic editions for free (until 8th April) - 03/18/12 03:58

Having reached day #2, Im still saying HELL NO... Acknex Forever!!

But until Ive spent the full 7 days, who knows...
But at this point Unity has yet to offer me enything attractive...
Posted By: BoH_Havoc

Re: Unity iOS/Android basic editions for free (until 8th April) - 03/18/12 16:11

Quote:

I've gotta ask, and answer honestly please,

After using Unity for 3-7days how many people have now said so long to 3DGS?

Well i really like Unity and have switched.
All i'm doing with my A7 Pro at the moment is writing shaders for fun/CSiS/Shade-C.
Everything else done in Unity (And i'm not only talking about games here, see examples below).

I never really used Unityscript in Unity though, but switched to full C# almost right from the beginning as it's more organized and advanced.
The cool thing about Unity is, that you can mix Unityscript, C# and Boo in one project and access Unityscript/Boo from C# and vice versa. I don't do that though, as this, again, is very unorganized (to me at least). Also you can easily use C# libs to further extend Unity.

Actually prototyping in Unity is way faster than prototyping in Acknex (Thanks to the AWESOME all-in-one editor, MonoDevelop and the Behaviour and Prefab approach. Also, debugging is actually fun now). (edit: remember that this is my PERSONAL oppinion, as everything else!)
Support for a lot of different platforms also is a big plus for my work, as i'm experimenting with Mobile and Web Applications a lot.

Believe it or not, but my master thesis is being done in Unity, as was my bachelor thesis and other projects i did at university.

Here's some stuff i did with Unity:

Serious Game about Oil:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aubeaz0rYis

Facebook Game, Homage to the Message Flood you get from your "friends"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p1hftOTMNo
http://www.intermediales-design.de/projekte/message-madness-facebook-social-game-mit-unity3d

A popup-book, targeted for Tablet devices (video is captured on windows though)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCWEMYV8gy4

My bachelor thesis: Creating a fast and easiy production pipeline to get print media on Tablet devices, with support for video, audio, 3d visualizations and games. No programming skills needed. (You have to click on the picture with the tablet and the hand to see a short video of the final product)
http://www.intermediales-design.de/projekte/uniploy-create-once-deploy-universal

As for my master thesis: It's a "pseudo MMO", and it's coming along great. I could have never done that in A7 in the same amount of time. I was able to setup Players and NPCs in about a week, including movement prediction, basic AI and pathfinding, pseudo P2P and database backend.

Don't get me wrong though, i like Acknex for what it is and what it did for me in the past (got into university because of Acknex, also writing shaders is really fun), but by now it really seems kind of old-school and non-intuitive. Also the lack of support for additional platforms is a BIG minus for me.

All in all, you should really give Unity a whirl, especially with the current offer for free iOS and Android Licenses. And you should stay away from unityscript and get into C# right away: You will have more fun and work faster in the long term. laugh

And now start the "Unity sucks!" "You suck!" bashing laugh
Or simply keep in mind that all of the above is my PERSONAL oppinion and that i still use Acknex every now and then for shader related things wink

Re: Unity iOS/Android basic editions for free (until 8th April) - 03/18/12 16:25

there is no javascript in unity. laugh unityscript is very different from javascript (static typing, no prototypes,...).

the supported languages are:
- unityscript (which is written in boo by the author of boo)
- c#
- boo (kind of looks like statically typed python)

i wouldn't use unityscript either since c# and boo are more useful languages that can be used for other things as well.
Posted By: BoH_Havoc

Re: Unity iOS/Android basic editions for free (until 8th April) - 03/18/12 16:34

Quote:
there is no javascript in unity. unityscript is very different from javascript (static typing, no prototypes,...).

the supported languages are:
- unityscript (which is written in boo by the author of boo)
- c#
- boo (kind of looks like statically typed python)

Sorry, my fault, i always think Unity uses real javascript as it's also called like that in the scripting reference. But you are right of course, it's not the real deal wink Fixed that in my above post.
Thanks for the hint laugh
Posted By: Slin

Re: Unity iOS/Android basic editions for free (until 8th April) - 03/18/12 16:38

Originally Posted By: BoH_Havoc
And now start the "Unity sucks!" "You suck!" bashing laugh

Unity sucks and you do too because you like it laugh
© 2024 lite-C Forums