Help me crowdfund my new show!

Posted By: sPlKe

Help me crowdfund my new show! - 04/25/12 21:53

http://www.rockethub.com/projects/7407-mystery-webseries-veruca-season-2

post and share on your facebook, g+ or whereever you are please!
Posted By: PadMalcom

Re: Help me crowdfund my new show! - 04/26/12 06:10

Make it look more professional, add a filter or something. It does not look good for me, more like a movie shot for school.
Posted By: Uhrwerk

Re: Help me crowdfund my new show! - 04/26/12 14:15

Pad: I don't think this is a good point. I think the quality of the plot is the more important part. Adding a filter to a movie is like adding a post processing shader to a game. You can make it look a little different from before but you won't change the quality with that.

Spike, I had a look at some of your episodes. To be honest, they really didn't get me. But thats most likely due to the fact that I dislike most series and I really cannot stand Lost. But my point is something else. Looking at your videos I noticed most of your episodes have ssignificantly less than 100 views. I don't think 5000$ are a realistic goal in this scenario. Even if you had 100 views on every video every of those viewers had to spent at least 50$ to make that work. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to disencourage you. I really like the basic idea of those small episodes. I just don't think the goal is realistic.
Posted By: mk_1

Re: Help me crowdfund my new show! - 04/26/12 14:26

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wJMAg6jc1s
Posted By: WretchedSid

Re: Help me crowdfund my new show! - 04/26/12 14:53

I have to agree with Uhrwerk and PadMalcom. The plot doesn't really get me either, although I liked Lost (until the final) and the really bad cuts and acting didn't made it any better...

You really should produce a pilot of the second season with your targeted quality, so that people know what they are buying. Otherwise I can't really imagine that you will reach your goal or get anywhere near it.
Posted By: PadMalcom

Re: Help me crowdfund my new show! - 04/26/12 15:42

I watched it again.

What I like:
-The setting
-The "music" at the end of the trailer which brings some tension

What can be improved:
-The far to long scenes in the starting scene where the person is running away from something. Camera should change position every 1-3 seconds to make it more thrilling.
-The end! Who's that guy and why is he just smiling? It did not make me want to see how it is going on because there is nothing misterious or special. A voice can tell some parts of the story while these 2 scenes are shown.
Posted By: RealSerious3D

Re: Help me crowdfund my new show! - 04/26/12 17:14

The sound is good, imo. Many indie films fail in how they record. So you seemed to have done well there. But the video itself? I agree with PadMalcom ... the initial scene with the person running is way too long. I was getting bored watching it. A bit of editing would make this scene move faster and add a better sense of urgency for the viewer.

But even the scene where the man wakes up and walks through the woods ... I was bored. I got it pretty quickly. He's in the woods and does not know why he is there. He's lost. Fine. But don't make me watch for another three minutes telling me the same thing (that he's lost in the woods). The viewer gets it. wink
Posted By: sPlKe

Re: Help me crowdfund my new show! - 04/27/12 13:08

So what do you guys think i need the crowdfunding for. If i could afford a better camera, good actors and real postproduction, iwouldnt have the need for crowdfunding. as for the story. if it doesnt hook you, it doesnt, you could still share the link.
Posted By: Azurite

Re: Help me crowdfund my new show! - 04/27/12 13:19

Sometimes I wonder if you people can even read.

I don't recall the OP asking for critique or even opinions on the show, as I'm sure he's aware of the shortcomings of it.

To pick up the most obvious flaw, it's not easy finding good actors without any budget, because the talented people usually don't work for free, hence the crowdfunding. DUH.
Posted By: Puppeteer

Re: Help me crowdfund my new show! - 04/27/12 13:42

@ Azurite:
[I am kinda surprised that you have an account here grin so uhm.. Hi!]
I think the whole purpose of a crowdfunding project is to get closer to the consumers of a product and let the artist deliver something that the audience really wants,
as the audience decides wether they want the project to be fueled or not and this is also why c&c from the audience are really important for this stuff.

This Extra Credits video pretty much explains the point: (in this case for video games which is not much of a difference)
http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/crowdfunding
Posted By: Azurite

Re: Help me crowdfund my new show! - 04/27/12 15:08

Hi!

That's of course a valid argument, but if the criticism targets mainly the things which are the way they are because of budget restraints, it loses its weight... at least in this case.

Good actors and postproduction aren't usually available for nothing - or maybe only if you're really lucky.

The comment about the cutting/pacing is in my eyes the only relevant criticism, because it doesn't have anything to do with the reason the funding request was made in the first place.
Posted By: Uhrwerk

Re: Help me crowdfund my new show! - 04/27/12 19:06

Originally Posted By: Azurite
Sometimes I wonder if you people can even read.

I don't recall the OP asking for critique or even opinions on the show, as I'm sure he's aware of the shortcomings of it.

To pick up the most obvious flaw, it's not easy finding good actors without any budget, because the talented people usually don't work for free, hence the crowdfunding. DUH.

No need to get offending. To pick up the most obvious flaw, crowd funding is not about random people giving random money to random other people. It's about people giving money to other people that have something very promising to show or who are known for being extremely talented. Sharing a link is not about sharing the link, its about sharing an idea, something people can recommend. Only very few people will share a link when the plot doesn't get them. It's like saying "I don't like it but you should really watch it because.... ummm... you should watch it."

It's the old thing: If you cannot stand criticism then don't post your work.
Posted By: alpha_strike

Re: Help me crowdfund my new show! - 04/28/12 08:54

Sorry, für meine ehrlichen Worte - aber wie gesagt, ich stehe zu Leuten, die kreativ sind, das mag ich.
Alter, das letzte mal, als ich Dich einmal und nie wieder persönlich auf der DUS sah (10 Jahre her??), da warst Du echt noch nicht so fett. Das wirkt nicht gut.
Ansonsten kauf Dir bitte After Effects und pimpe die Scheiße auf.
Im gegenwärtigen Zustand ist das alleroberster übertriebener End-Indi-Scheiß.

edit... die Kritik ist vielleicht ein Schlüssel für Deinen nächsten Versuch, für solch einen Schund von unschuldigen Menschen Kohle abzocken zu wollen
Posted By: RealSerious3D

Re: Help me crowdfund my new show! - 04/28/12 15:52

Its a misnomer that you can't get people who can act with no funding, or that you can't get good camera work, etc. For example, as I pointed out in my previous post here, they did a decent job with sound ... and that's not easy (and something that many indi-films fail at). But if the OP wants to raise funds for a project, then the project needs to be presented in an interesting way. It needs to grab the attention of the people that may want to invest. They have to be made to believe in the project, that it is worthy of them giving their cash. The critiques in this thread are on topic in that they let the OP know that there are issues that may cause them to not be able to raise the funds they are looking for in order to accomplish their goals. This would mean, to me, if it were my project, that I might want to look at how I am presenting things so that I could make some changes and have a better chance at accomplishing my goal.

Case in point: it has been three days or so and the project is still 0% funded.
Posted By: ventilator

Re: Help me crowdfund my new show! - 05/23/12 09:25

tongue
© 2024 lite-C Forums