Who is active in the Unity forum?

Posted By: PadMalcom

Who is active in the Unity forum? - 11/05/13 11:39

Since I tested Unity again (as I do every year...) I was recently browsing its forum and wondered who I might find from the Gamestudio community. So who of you guys is an active member there?
Posted By: gri

Re: Who is active in the Unity forum? - 11/05/13 15:48

Sorry Pad, because I highjack your thread.

Can we "overloading" your coming-out request to other engines too?

So is somebody activ at the jmonkeyengine forum ?
Posted By: Roel

Re: Who is active in the Unity forum? - 11/05/13 21:06

@gri i'm starting to learn jmonkey, but I am not yet active at the forum
@pad no, i'm not active there XD
Posted By: WretchedSid

Re: Who is active in the Unity forum? - 11/05/13 21:47

Active in the Rayne forum tongue
Edit: Who am I kidding, we don't have a forum ;(
Posted By: Nems

Re: Who is active in the Unity forum? - 11/06/13 03:23

Not active there, just my programmer...
Posted By: sivan

Re: Who is active in the Unity forum? - 11/06/13 14:12

search for fogman there, or ratchet grin

by the way, I'm planning to to test unity again due to its new extended free features. but I need basically an engine where I can use C++, so currently work only in 3DGS and Esenthel. when will Rayne be released?

Re: Who is active in the Unity forum? - 11/08/13 08:57

I thought so, too. But in the end C# works quite good and is as object oriented as C++ is. The only question regarding Unity & Co is what they do deep down in the engine itself.

Re: Who is active in the Unity forum? - 11/08/13 09:08

Attach a debugger and find out? At the end of the day, all closed source software is a black box, wether it's Acknex, Unity or Rayne.
The question is; Do you really need to know what's going on under the hood? If it were open source, would you take the time to verify that it does what you want it to? I have read my fair share of open source projects, sometimes because I was curious, sometimes because the documentation was awful, sometimes a mix of the two; Big systems make no effort in being easily accessible, and following code paths isn't as straight forward as it seems when you are familiar with the project. It takes time and effort to get startet with a third party code base, and ultimately, do you really care that much about it?

Not grumpy, just trying to be realistic. I know you Pad, and I know that you like to dig in other code bases for fun and profit, and I certainly see the appeal of it. So yeah, no idea where I'm getting at right now, maybe I should just go to bed.

Re: Who is active in the Unity forum? - 11/09/13 20:14

Thanks for changing my topic Sid wink At the end it is only curiosity that makes me want to know how an engine works.
Posted By: fogman

Re: Who is active in the Unity forum? - 11/09/13 21:32

I´m not very active in the Unity forum, but you may meet me there sometimes.

Re: Who is active in the Unity forum? - 01/11/14 14:18

hi,
what is your conclusion after testing Unity4? much better than 3? or already paying $75 monthly? laugh
there is an open source RTS game developed in Unity what I want to check...

I just found an info if you want to use C#, you can do it in CryEngine too instead of Lua by CryMono.
Posted By: FBL

Re: Who is active in the Unity forum? - 01/11/14 18:21

Never visited the forums directly but played around a bit with Unity 4 during vacation. I read a book about Unity some time ago, so I could start right away.

C# as scripting language I like a lot. And for pretty much any problem you want to solve in Unity, you find something useful with Google you can either rework or even take directly.

I think I did not fully use Unity in its intended way. I scripted a lot instead of using the editor for drag and dropping things - because I tried writing some kind of own simple level editor. wink
That was only some test project, so nothing to see and at the moment no further development on it.

Result: once you know the basic mechanisms you can pretty much start right away. It takes some time to get used to write proper code following the OOP thought, though (not exactly an Unity only problem).
...At least if you worked with procedural languages for years before - like me. grin

---
After all, comparing to Neoaxis: Unity wins, as the Component system simply outperforms the inheritance approach of Neoaxis. Also the documentation of Unity is really good, while Neoaxis is barely documented.

Re: Who is active in the Unity forum? - 01/13/14 16:11

Around christmas I had time to try Unity and I liked it but the way of programming is different to GS (e.g. complex rotations). Nevertheless, it is great to have full OO support (C#), it makes coding so much easier and cleaner.

The editor has way too much features and buttons, atm I'm trying to animate models which is a pita using the gui for that (I don't like wysiwyg coding).

The community is nice and the asset store is full of usefull... assets. But they all cost some bucks so there is no "use it for free" religion as it exists here.

Furthermore, I'm missing "wait(1)" tongue So far I built some easy scripts for waking and talking (converted my beloved dialog system from Lite-C to C#) and it was not that difficult.

One big thing that is missing is a good level editor (Same as in GS).

Re: Who is active in the Unity forum? - 01/13/14 21:24

wait 1? Tried coroutines and yield?

Re: Who is active in the Unity forum? - 01/14/14 07:42

thanks for the info both of you.
yes, its editor is a bit "too much", I also like to do some coding instead of a series of in-editor clicks and drags. but making a general editor suitable for everybody is a difficult task... by google I found severel great free packages for unity which are interesting. and having a great tool for money is a bit better than don't having at all, this is why nearly all engines has their own shops. but of course I prefer the free stuff popular here (probably making money of them would require more users).

Re: Who is active in the Unity forum? - 01/14/14 18:42

Actually you can do many things in code without using the editor, so it's ok.
Also you have the options to add custom input masks and a lot more for your scripts in the editor.
I really like that, but haven't tested yet. It is a bit similar to the WED panel modding via code comments, but can do a lot more.

I had the very same problems with the Untiy editor when I opened it up the first time. A short read of an introduction chapter in a newbie book helped to overcome this issue very quickly.

Re: Who is active in the Unity forum? - 01/14/14 19:14

yes, I have read somewhere editor plugins can be made, maybe in C++. currently the shadowmapping without smoothing seems to be an attractive new free option, and in case of a top down camera I won't need lod. and the free android stuff...

Re: Who is active in the Unity forum? - 01/14/14 19:15

I think you can even do editor stuff in C# as part of your project.

Re: Who is active in the Unity forum? - 01/14/14 20:31

Yup, they can be written in C#. It used to be a little bit buggy and extremely undocumented, but I don't know how that is nowadays.
© 2024 lite-C Forums