Unity License for sale (Unity Pro, iOS Pro, Android Pro)

Posted By: fogman

Unity License for sale (Unity Pro, iOS Pro, Android Pro) - 03/26/14 22:35

I hear you say "wtf?! The EULA states that you canīt sell your license!!!"

But wait a minute. Once there was a decision of the european court, that software licenses are transferable in the EU, regardless of whatever EULA states. So I wrote a mail to Unity and asked them for a statement. In short, what they said to me was this:

Quote:
We do not flatly refuse the transfer of licenses, although our EULA does state otherwise. We can make exceptions and transfer seats...

I need to settle some things down with Unity, but if everything goes right, I want to sell my current license (Unity Pro, iOS Pro, Android Pro) for 2800,- Euros. If you want to buy them directly from Unity, you would have to pay 3420,- Euros.

If anyone is interested, please write me a pm. I just want to see if thereīs some interest before I search in another forum. laugh

Posted By: Helghast

Re: Unity License for sale (Unity Pro, iOS Pro, Android Pro) - 03/27/14 12:39

If only I had that amount of money frown
Posted By: sivan

Re: Unity License for sale (Unity Pro, iOS Pro, Android Pro) - 03/27/14 12:57

great news. it can cause some decrease in Unity selling supposing that you are not alone in this situation. please write an article if done successfully, what can lead finally to an escalating panic, resulting in everybody trying to sell Unity licenses grin
it means you can sell a 3DGS license not only once, but the 2nd owner also can sell it again... there are some other game engines and softwares where the EULA does not allow it to sell.
Posted By: alpha_strike

Re: Unity License for sale (Unity Pro, iOS Pro, Android Pro) - 03/27/14 13:56

fog, have you written your offer even in the unity forum?
Would be very funny in these times of hot discussion about the price models of other highend engines.
Posted By: Puppeteer

Re: Unity License for sale (Unity Pro, iOS Pro, Android Pro) - 03/27/14 16:51

With Unity 5 coming soon one would have to also pay upgrade costs and then it might even be more expensive then buying it directly tongue

Re: Unity License for sale (Unity Pro, iOS Pro, Android Pro) - 03/28/14 08:11

from what I read though, Unity5 isn't coming until around the end of the year.
So buying Unity4 now would still be profitable, if you are already familiar with it ofcourse laugh

I don't think it's a bad price, it's just that I don't have money at all (and need a new laptop first :P)
Posted By: alpha_strike

Re: Unity License for sale (Unity Pro, iOS Pro, Android Pro) - 03/28/14 09:40

@ helghast...
correct my memories, but was it a joke, when you talked about that you worked for high end games like killzone ?? Was the payment for such million sellers so bad?
Posted By: sivan

Re: Unity License for sale (Unity Pro, iOS Pro, Android Pro) - 03/28/14 10:08

there are probably some unity developers who want to get a legal pro before releasing a game made with a torrent pro version...
Posted By: Michael_Schwarz

Re: Unity License for sale (Unity Pro, iOS Pro, Android Pro) - 03/28/14 11:16

Originally Posted By: alpha_strike
@ helghast...
correct my memories, but was it a joke, when you talked about that you worked for high end games like killzone ?? Was the payment for such million sellers so bad?

that wasn't a joke, but I don't know about the pay he got

Re: Unity License for sale (Unity Pro, iOS Pro, Android Pro) - 03/31/14 07:14

nope, not a joke, have been working on KZ2, KZ3 and the recent KZ Shadow Fall.
However, dont think yourself a millionaire when you are working at a AAA company, I get paid like a regular job, not on the amount of sales. Bonusses like Call of Duty's $750K are story's like Flappy Bird or Angry birds (just realized, why is the common demeanor a bird here? hmmm...) they are not the norm; sadly.

Besides that, I have a normal (Dutch) life tongue I pay bills (expensive, I wished I could live with my parents forever), get fucked over by taxes, and have to pay for the gas in my car. All of which dont come quite cheaply.

Saving 3000 euro's is still a big thing!
© 2024 lite-C Forums