New version of Survive! released

Posted By: SchokoKeks

New version of Survive! released - 05/19/16 21:03

Since it started here, I figured I might as well announce it here, too.

After 5 years, I've been able to release my version version of the rewrite of Survive! which I first presented here in 2011.
Since it no longer uses 3DGS but a custom written OpenGL engine, I can only do it here in Morbius.
It was a project to learn OpenGL, and I succeded in that. It was a lot more work than I expected, not only the OpenGl part but also the game logic, GUI and online multiplayer code, but fun nevertheless. It runs on Windows XP to 10, Linux and the (abandoned) OUYA android console. I've started to open source the engine, but it's not quite up to date right now.

Here is the blog post with download link.

Would be great if you could see if it actually runs on other computers than mine.
Posted By: Uhrwerk

Re: New version of Survive! released - 05/19/16 23:17

Great port. I just played a round. It's as much fun as it was back then. Anybody up for a real multiplayer round?
Posted By: MasterQ32

Re: New version of Survive! released - 05/20/16 07:11

Hey, i can't start the game in terms of "I changed my name in Options, then clicked Play, screen goes gray, then crash."

System is Win10 64 Bit, NVIDIA Optimus with Intel 4000 and GeForce 630M

Nice to hear you're still alive! I'll be there this evening, waiting to play a round or two if the game will be able to run.

Re: New version of Survive! released - 05/21/16 08:28

Thank you all for trying it out.

I haven't done any testing on nvidia or Optimus. It's probably a Shader failing to compile. Had the same on intel, so much for glsl beeing a standard. Can you run the game from the windows console and on me the output? Would be very helpful.

Re: New version of Survive! released - 05/21/16 08:59

Okay, i'll test it later.

Ein Aufruf an die deutsche Community: Heute Abend mal ne Runde spielen? Ich würde um ca. 21:00 auf den Server joinen, Kommunikation gerne über Teamspeak, ich hab uns nen Kanal auf meinem Server eingerichtet (mq32.de)

Re: New version of Survive! released - 05/21/16 14:31

We just played a round (and I made the new high score!)

Some reports:
  • You can glitch through some boxes.
  • There must be more weapons!
  • The birds are evil.
  • The turret blocks are awesome, but much to less
  • We require more players!
Posted By: the_clown

Re: New version of Survive! released - 05/21/16 18:42

Originally Posted By: SchokoKeks

I haven't done any testing on nvidia or Optimus. It's probably a Shader failing to compile. Had the same on intel, so much for glsl beeing a standard.

Yeah, when doing OpenGL work you pretty much have to test on nvidia and amd in tandem all the time to make sure everything works as intended - especially when developing on nvidia you can expect everything to go to hell if you don't constantly test on amd, but also the other way around. The problem is that the OpenGL specs are pretty ambigious in some places, and thus the actual implementations are nothing alike. NVIDIA tends to do the more intuitive thing in cases of ambiguity whereas AMD tries to formally derive the "correct" implementation from other parts of the spec which unfortunately mostly isn't the most intuitive thing to do.

Re: New version of Survive! released - 05/21/16 19:09

After some playing time (~Hour)
Originally Posted By: Game Log

ERROR: flist add_at at an already taken location
ERROR: flist add_at at an already taken location
ERROR in Mix_PlayChannel in play3D: No free channels.
ERROR in Mix_PlayChannel in play3D: No free channels.

Also: You don't get better weapons

Also: Some non-despawning enemies and players.

Also: Idiot russians that destroy gameplay by just taking the generator in Wave 20 and running into enemies...
Posted By: 3run

Re: New version of Survive! released - 05/21/16 19:16

Originally Posted By: MasterQ32
Also: Idiot russians that destroy gameplay by just taking the generator in Wave 20 and running into enemies...
Was it really so important to tell what nationality they were? grin

I tested the single player version and it worked fine on my side, played for 3 waves only (had no more spare time to test it).
My system: Win7 x64, AMD Athlon II X64 641 Quad-Core 2.80 GHz, 4 GB, AMD Radeon HD 6670

Best regards!

Re: New version of Survive! released - 05/21/16 19:17

Originally Posted By: 3run
Was it really so important to tell what nationality they were?

well, they joined the game, told us they were russians and then fucked shit up...
so, maybe, yes it was...

but no offense to russians in general

Re: New version of Survive! released - 05/22/16 21:09

I was away for the weekend, talk about timing, would have loved to play with you.

I can confirm the issue with the weapons, there seems to be a problem with the server when it's been running for some time, will fix it tomorrow. Singleplayer should work.

Some unit delete messages seem to be not received. Will have to look into this.

The game always had a strong following in russia. Sometimes there are "misunderstandings". I should really translate the help into russian.
Posted By: Uhrwerk

Re: New version of Survive! released - 05/22/16 21:19

• The birds are evil.
This!
Also when you have multiple boxes in front of you it's hard to foretell which one you're actually picking up. Replacing certain crates in a perfectly built fort is nothing for the impatient ... ;-)

Re: New version of Survive! released - 05/23/16 19:30

Originally Posted By: Uhrwerk

• The birds are evil.
This!
Also when you have multiple boxes in front of you it's hard to foretell which one you're actually picking up. Replacing certain crates in a perfectly built fort is nothing for the impatient ... ;-)

Thank you for the feedback. Turret block drop chance is very low, but maybe a bit too random. In some games, none get dropped at all.
I should add some kind of highlight to show which block you are about to pick up.

Also, I fixed the bug with the missing weapons, this happens after every defeat, also in singleplayer if you don't restart the game. Will update the online server tomottow.
© 2024 lite-C Forums