gamestudio A6 Extra and standard

Posted By: Xtreme_Dry

gamestudio A6 Extra and standard - 08/26/06 20:39

Hey i hope this is the right place to put this but yer i used to use gamestudio a while back but my computer died and ive jes got it restored, but basicly i was makin a game at the time and i wish to carry it on but was wondering if it is worth payin for A6 extra or jes to get A6 standard again and like what are the main differences or if it says on this site can you put up the link and yer i have looked around the site but couldnt find it in the obvious places
Posted By: Tempelbauer

Re: gamestudio A6 Extra and standard - 08/26/06 21:21

hi, welcome to the forums

http://www.conitec.net/english/gstudio/3dgs2.htm
here you can compare the editions

Re: gamestudio A6 Extra and standard - 08/26/06 23:12

ahh i musta missed this thanks
hmm well it seems like the extra edition uld make quite a few significant differences but if any one culd give a recomndation that wuld b kwl
thanks
Posted By: Iron Chancellor

Re: gamestudio A6 Extra and standard - 08/26/06 23:27

Compared to standard it has LOD, terrain and a resolution of 1024x768. Terrain can be done with models, too, but the 800x600 resolution of the standard edition seems pretty low to me. A lot of people recommend to buy the commercial edition as you get the most out of your money with it. Personally I use the Extra edition, but I'm not a professional developper and I bought it when it was cheaper than it is now. The commercial edition has some nice features like dynamic shadows, the ability to play movies, multiplayer, bones, and more which the Extra has not.

It's all a question of what you want to do with it and how much money you are willing to spend.

Re: gamestudio A6 Extra and standard - 08/26/06 23:32

well atm i havnt got the most money and i feel like gettin straight back into it so im not gonna get comercial just yet, but i will probely upgrade to it eventually, and yer the resolution was my main worry bout the 2, oh one more thing i thought A6 extra culd support multiplay as well?
Posted By: FeiHongJr

Re: gamestudio A6 Extra and standard - 08/27/06 00:54

Nope i beleive only commercial and professional support multiplayer. If youve got the money for extra Id say go with it. Then later down the road if you want you could allways update to commerical or even pro...

I personally started with standard and while its a great deal it just makes things easier not to mention funner having the few extras that come with extra or comm. Just my two cents. I wouldnt suggest standard to anyone unless thats all they could afford.
Posted By: ulillillia

Re: gamestudio A6 Extra and standard - 08/27/06 01:45

It is recommended you start with lower editions for first starting out. If you buy Pro right away and lose interest in it in only a few weeks, you'd be out a lot of money. With a lower edition, you can at least get started. Many of the features of higher editions can be faked or replicated using alternative methods. Standard may not have terrains, but MDL terrains have more advantages than HMP terrains as it is anyway (freedom of shape, size, positioning, texturing, and, under certain circumstances, even faster). LOD can also be used in standard edition using an alternative method, of which the alternative method is far more flexible than the engine's built-in system with very few disadvantages. By using external edittors, you can get bones mode, but you'd only be able to use vertex animation. For physics, you can write your own physics system. Beams can be faked (to a limited extent) by using some sort of model.

Re: gamestudio A6 Extra and standard - 08/27/06 20:10

hmm oh ryt well yer i think ill get expert for now then, and then update eventually to comercial or somthing , and cheers every one for all your help its much apriechiated
Posted By: ulillillia

Re: gamestudio A6 Extra and standard - 08/28/06 01:05

As a side note, by upgrading from extra to commercial, you'd save about $40 or so from the full price meaning $159 instead of $199. Check with the shop prices to verify the actual numbers.
© 2024 lite-C Forums