will games run on a 64-bit OS

Posted By: Noob65

will games run on a 64-bit OS - 10/27/06 15:14

Simple question will A6 games work on the new 64-bit OS?

Noob65
Posted By: Gordon

Re: will games run on a 64-bit OS - 10/27/06 23:12

The should as they are a 32 bit application and there is support for 32 bit applications in vista because 32 bit applications must work in vista (including games) or no one will buy it.
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: will games run on a 64-bit OS - 10/27/06 23:25

There's a windows xp 64-bit too. It will definately support 32-bit applications too, so 3dgs games will run too. As for vista, I'm more interested to know how well dx9 games run on dx10 ...

Cheers
Posted By: Gordon

Re: will games run on a 64-bit OS - 10/28/06 11:53

dx9 is a subset of dx10 so as long as the interface is there it should run fine. from what I have seen so far it seems to be about the same. but I have not done any indepth testing as I don't have access to a vista system all the time.
Posted By: swbluto

Re: will games run on a 64-bit OS - 10/29/06 04:08

Yes they will. Windows always provides backwards compatability with the recent generation(s) of computer hardware and operating systems to ensure a "smooth transition"(I.E., so customers would buy it. No wants to find out that all their favorite programs all of sudden doesn't work any longer.). As far as DX10 and DX9, I've read on Microsoft's DirectX documentation that all series of DirectX maintain backwards compatability so it should remain functional(Most, if not all, recent generations of popular "whatever" software/drivers/technology from microsoft has backwards compatibility for smooth user migration and minimal customer headaches.) . Now for if they'll change that in the future... I wouldn't know. I'd have my doubts, but they may do something when "vienna" rolls about; Vista is apart of the transitioning from XP to 'Project Vienna', which are supposedly fundamentally different.
Posted By: Paul_L_Ming

Re: will games run on a 64-bit OS - 10/30/06 02:44

Hiya.

Not all games will run on a Windows XP-64. Some will run, but will *not* install (ex: City of Heroes/Villains will run under XP-64, but you can't actually get it to install under it; you have to install it in a dual-boot XP or Win2k partition, then try and run it from XP-64).

I run Windows XP-64 on dual AMD Opteron 246's, and some 32-bit programs either just don't work, won't install, or will have a few (to a lot) of 'core features' not work. For example, my Adobe Acrobat 7 will install and run, but the "Print to PDF" aspect of it will not install/run.

I have no idea if Vista will/will not run stuff...there is no way in HELL I'm "upgrading" to Vista. (interesting, allbeit a bit dated, info on Vista: http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/archives/003882.php ). And just for some more "Vista Fun..."

http://wendy.seltzer.org/blog/archives/2...s_the_user.html

http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/archives/003806.php
Posted By: Doug

Re: will games run on a 64-bit OS - 10/30/06 19:22

Quote:

dx9 is a subset of dx10 so as long as the interface is there it should run fine.

Actually no. Unlike DX2-DX9, last time I talked with Microsoft they didn't plan on supporting the previous DX's inside DX10. There are some really good reasons for this, but mostly it allows for a much cleaner design.

The only OS that will support DX10 is Vista, and Vista can run both DX9 and DX10. So you'll still be able to run your DX1-9 games on Vista (3DGameStudio Included).

Re: will games run on a 64-bit OS - 10/30/06 19:31

Doug,

Will GSA6Pro run on Vista?

thanks,

Noob65

Re: will games run on a 64-bit OS - 10/31/06 19:40

Yes, 3DGS runs on Vista now.
We have a Vista test machine in the office, and I haven't encountered any problems with it yet.

Re: will games run on a 64-bit OS - 10/31/06 19:58

thanks Doug,

excellent, does it mean there is new version of GS to be released soon?

Noob65

Re: will games run on a 64-bit OS - 11/02/06 21:56

Quote:

excellent, does it mean there is new version of GS to be released soon?

This has nothing to do with a new version of 3DGS. The current version runs under Vista right now.

Re: will games run on a 64-bit OS - 11/03/06 13:14

well Doug,

Wouldn't GS run better and faster on 64-bit? 32-bit is going to be out of date in a flash.

Noob65

Re: will games run on a 64-bit OS - 11/03/06 20:48

Why do you think it will run faster? Yes, 64-bits is twice as large as 32-bits, but not twice as fast.

64-bit Windows machines support 3dGameStudio now (as they do most 32-bit applications). But even if we rewrote the code to be 100% 64-bit, you wouldn't notice any improvement in speed UNLESS your game is using more than 4GB of memory (not likely unless you are doing something really weird).

In short: 64-bit is the future, it has a lot of advantages, but it isn't as amazing as most people think and it doesn't appear to be replacing 32-bit very fast.

Re: will games run on a 64-bit OS - 11/03/06 21:06

Doug,

Why wouldn't it run faster with twice the size? Bigger and more complex works can be done faster. High resolution games needs more memory so it would be of help, right?

I'm not trying to dish A6 or anything, I'm just merely trying to find the best solution for my project and certain features have to be in it for success. As it is right now A6 doesn't support certain things, like the dynamic cloths and soft tissue. If XSI had a game engine built in it would be an easy decision.

Thanks for responding to my questions,
Noob65

Re: will games run on a 64-bit OS - 11/06/06 18:59

And I'm not trying to defend A6.

You are asking good questions but, like most good questions, there are no easy answers.

There are reason that you would want 64-bit but, right now, most games don't take advantage of them. They will in the future, but not now. For now, 4GB is much larger than the memory footprint of any consumer game (few PC even have that much memory).

When more PC have 8GB or more memory, then 64-bit will become very important. If 3DGameStudio doesn't run pure 64-bit at that time, it should be at the top of the list.

Re: will games run on a 64-bit OS - 11/06/06 19:26

thanks Doug,

I totally agree with you it's over the top with so much memory in todays marketplace. I'm looking forward about 1 1/2 - 2 years, I figure my project will take that long to complete.

Noob65

Re: will games run on a 64-bit OS - 11/07/06 20:46

Always best to look ahead.
My guess is that 64-bit *may* be more standard in 2008, but I'm not sure if games at that time will take advantage of 8-GB of (RAM) memory.

The nice thing with using a 3d engine like 3DGameStudio is that, when we do change to a 64-bit engine, your projects will automatically use that (no need to change your code).
Posted By: fastlane69

Re: will games run on a 64-bit OS - 11/13/06 00:55

Quote:

Why wouldn't it run faster with twice the size?

01 + 01 still equals 10, no matter if you have 30 or 62 bits in front... no reason for it to be faster IMO.

Re: will games run on a 64-bit OS - 11/13/06 20:30

The real speed comes when you have to do math with 64-bit numbers.

1+1 is the same speed with both 32 and 64-bit but
18,446,744,073,709,551,615 + 18,446,744,073,709,551,615 is almost twice as fast using 64-bits (2 reads vs. 4 reads).
Posted By: Gryphon

Re: will games run on a 64-bit OS - 11/14/06 14:03

Isn't that what all programs boil down to? doing math at incredible speeds? So why wouldn't you start using or else adapting to the new 64 bit capablities when Vista is released?

I know most nobody will need numbers that large...but the point still remains the same....if 64 bit was available...it shifts your thinking of "what could be done" .. which ends up in "creativity" which ends up with new concepts / ideas/ and implimentations.

But 32bit or 64 bit, either way 3DGS has a great thing going here

Re: will games run on a 64-bit OS - 11/14/06 19:36

I agree that, all things being equal, you would want to support as many features as you can. But you do not want to support a feature that would make your product run slower on a majority of your client machines.

If you add two 64-bit numbers on a 32-bit machine, the process takes twice as long. Even if you are just adding 1+1.

Even after the release of Vista, most machines on the market will still be 32-bit. So 32-bit applications are still going to be the norm for most Vista applications (at least for a while).
© 2024 lite-C Forums