Editing WMP files with SED?

Posted By: Galen

Editing WMP files with SED? - 02/27/08 04:42

It looks like we used to be able to open a WMP file in SED and edit it (when I open a WMP made in 6.x, it appears "normal", with readable text, etc). But when I try it with a good working WMP made in 7.07, all I see is gibberish.

How do we edit WMP files now in SED? Or can we? I'm trying to replace a bunch of model file references with the updated model file name, and I really don't want to have to do this by hand in WED...

Thanks.
Posted By: iuselitec

Re: Editing WMP files with SED? - 02/27/08 07:31

it looks like you can't anymore. the format is binary now.
Posted By: HeelX

Re: Editing WMP files with SED? - 02/27/08 11:43

In your gamestudio folder there is a folder called "data" in which you find a file called "options.scr". In there, you'll find the variable SAVE_WMPB. This variable indicates, if WED should save in binary or ASCII (text) format. If you turn it on, its binary, otherwise its plain text.

I hope this helps.
Posted By: harrisyu

Re: Editing WMP files with SED? - 02/27/08 13:00

WOW ~ that's a good news for me too!Because I want to make a level exporter in Blender.

Thanks HeelX !

BTW:Is there any document for .wmp file format?
I know: http://www.coniserver.net/wiki/index.php/WMP
but it's uncompelete now.

Re: Editing WMP files with SED? - 02/27/08 13:12

You should use the text representation of the WMP for convertion stuff. Better use the wmpIO.dll.

Re: Editing WMP files with SED? - 02/27/08 13:21

Thank you very much for the info HeelX--I'll try this tonight after work.

One other question: if I change it to ASCII in that data file, open my level again and save it, then make my changes/updates in SED, can I change the WMP file type *back* to binary again after that? Thanks...

Re: Editing WMP files with SED? - 02/27/08 14:03

Yes, of course. WED uses itself the wmpio.dll which supports both ASCII and binary WMP files.

Re: Editing WMP files with SED? - 02/27/08 23:48

Worked like a charm. Thank you very much!
© 2024 lite-C Forums