Shadows on Models?

Posted By: Towelie

Shadows on Models? - 05/25/09 22:50

I just upgraded from a6 com to a7 com, yay. With that, I want to start using shaders and other stuff to make my game look "cool," so to speak. I've figured out shaders already, rather easy. Pre-made shaders, at least. Now, I'm trying to figure out how I can cast shadows, as well as have shadows, with my models. So far, I've been using static lights, wheras in the manual it says that the static lights are now also dynamic lights

("Static lights are placed in the level with WED; dynamic light can be emitted by entities at run time, or (with version A7) also by static light sources. -Gamestudio Manual)

Am I reading this wrong, because when I place a static light near a model that has a bump mapping, it neither places a shadow on other models, blocks, or even on itself. Is there more to it than just placing the lights there, and that SHAMWOW? Do I need a plugin such as the Sphere engine? My video card can handle it- I run all HL2 and Sourcemods at top specs just fine as well as oblivion and such. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Posted By: EvilSOB

Re: Shadows on Models? - 05/25/09 23:12

Not sure, but I think you need to set the DYNAMIC flag on for the light in WED.

Select the light in WED, look at its properties, and you'll see two tick-boxes,
DYNAMIC and HI-RES. Ive never tried high-res ever though...

Re: Shadows on Models? - 05/26/09 02:06

Just tried that. the DYNAMIC box is set, as well as the CAST on the model. Still nothing.
Posted By: KiwiBoy

Re: Shadows on Models? - 05/26/09 02:22

Some shaders disable dynamic lights in order for the shader to work.
Could thid be a possibility here?

It happened for me with a model detail map script and it wasnt till I made another level and forgot to include or add the detail script that I got shadows back.

Re: Shadows on Models? - 05/26/09 02:42

So taking the shader off the model can make the shadow work?

Ill give it a try. If so, how would I get them both to work?

EDIT: Just gave it a try, still nothing.
Posted By: EvilSOB

Re: Shadows on Models? - 05/26/09 02:44

Youll need different shader that does what you need
AND that DOES support recieving dynamic shadows as well.
I dont even know how to look for that.....
© 2024 lite-C Forums