how to create button for update my game?

Posted By: cgcg

how to create button for update my game? - 07/27/10 11:21

i want to create button for update my game "models and scripts and map"
but i don't now how to create this aplication
can you help me plz?
Posted By: Tempelbauer

Re: how to create button for update my game? - 07/27/10 11:34

you have to provide a server, where the updates can be found (in the easiest way this is a simple http or ftp-server). the game have to
- establish a connection
- calculate the differences (the easiest is to use a versionnumber)
- download the models and maps

if you do this, you should add some security like 2-sided authentification using hashes or something

if you want to update your scripts too you have to write another application. this is afair not possible with acknex, because the engine wonŽt start if any of the scriptfiles are modified. so you have to update your game-exe too if you want to update your scripts. so youŽll need an external game-updater. otherwise you cant copy the new game-exe on its place

Re: how to create button for update my game? - 07/27/10 17:22

i have page ftp can you give me exemple

Re: how to create button for update my game? - 07/27/10 18:52

hellooooooo
Posted By: Tempelbauer

Re: how to create button for update my game? - 07/27/10 19:08

i donŽt know if the commercial or pro edition of gamestudio support connecting to ftp-servers, but the ANET-plugin does: http://www.anet-plugin.com/downloads_eng.htm
you can use the demo edition for testing

for moving and replacing the files on the pc, you can access the winapi-functions or simply use fear411Žs latest plugin: http://www.opserver.de/ubb7/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=316102&gonew=1

for version control simply create for every version a directory on the server (with the versionnumber as name). put in the folder every changed file

in you game or updater-program you have to do the folowing steps:
1.) read out the current version of the installed game (you can store it into a textfile or so)
2.) connect to the server and list all version directories
3.) convert the names into a float-var and compare them with your game-version
4.) if thereŽs no bigger versionnumber, is no update available. if there is a bigger version enter the directory, list the files and start downloading them into a temporary folder
5.) replace the files that youŽve downloaded with the old ones
6.) increase the versionnumber to the downloaded one
7.) finish

all the functions you need can be found in the documentation of this 2 plugins. ANET have some examples how to use it. take a look about it and youŽll understand how they work

happy coding and good luck
Posted By: Damocles_

Re: how to create button for update my game? - 07/27/10 21:10

Actually it would make sense to write a general Tool for this,
instead of handling this inside the engine.
(Idea for the Tool-contest)

Like a "Start App" Tool, that contains:

-A starter-splash
-some options like screen-res to select
-A "info" Button
-A "START" Button (starting the exe, in this case acknex)
-A "Check for Updates"
(wich contacts the server, checking for a new version number,
and then downloading automatically the updated assets)

Posted By: WretchedSid

Re: how to create button for update my game? - 07/28/10 09:42

Something like the Sparkle framework would be great.

Re: how to create button for update my game? - 07/28/10 13:17

my game not multiplayer it's singlplayer

Re: how to create button for update my game? - 07/28/10 13:33

this my page ftp
ftp://www.games.net@eu5.org/
passe: 19951992
i need how + pic

Re: how to create button for update my game? - 07/30/10 17:12

helloooo
Posted By: HeelX

Re: how to create button for update my game? - 07/30/10 20:23

@cgcg: There were some very serious post how you can handle it. There is no "updateGame" function in Gamestudio. You have to do it yourself. So, please take a shot and stop complaining that others don't write you such a complex functionality. Thanks.

@Damocles: I hate such things! The best solution I have ever seen is integrated into the Playstation 3 system - if you start a game, it starts and if a new version is available, a loading screen comes where the stuff is automatically downloaded and then it gets installed and then the game starts. Everything is integrated and automated inside the game and the user doesn't have to do anything. The same goes similarily for Windows (automatic downloading updates).
Posted By: EvilSOB

Re: how to create button for update my game? - 07/31/10 07:23

Heelx : Im gunna disagree with you there (reply to Damocles). I prefer the updates to be "optional".
The game (or windows) doing it 'automatically' really peeves me off,
ESPECIALLY on the odd occasions that my internet isnt running.
So think of the poor beggars who have NO internet, or worse still, only have dial-up !!

Dont get me wrong Heelx, I respect your opinion as yours, its just I really
hate ANY application that generates internet link-ups without my express
permission, its just plain RUDE!
Posted By: DJBMASTER

Re: how to create button for update my game? - 07/31/10 07:56

If the PS3 does the same as xbox 360 does (Sony always copies Microsoft wink ) you insert a disc and a pop-up states 'an update for this game is avaialble, would you like to install it?' so I agree that's the best solution.You can always decline.

I too don't like applications that auto-update unless they are critical ones eg, security patches, virus updates, etc. I find Adobe bridge the main culprit on my system. Always trying to update with some crap.
Posted By: MasterQ32

Re: how to create button for update my game? - 07/31/10 08:18

you said something about a tool!
i have written such a tool yesterday! laugh
is there any special thing about contest?
age, or something like that?
the tool is very handy, so were to post it?
can you please help me

Re: how to create button for update my game? - 07/31/10 15:31

Originally Posted By: EvilSOB
Heelx : Im gunna disagree with you there (reply to Damocles). I prefer the updates to be "optional".
The game (or windows) doing it 'automatically' really peeves me off,
ESPECIALLY on the odd occasions that my internet isnt running.
So think of the poor beggars who have NO internet, or worse still, only have dial-up !!

Dont get me wrong Heelx, I respect your opinion as yours, its just I really
hate ANY application that generates internet link-ups without my express
permission, its just plain RUDE!

No problem, bro :-) everyone has his or her very own oppinion of what he likes or not ;-)

But how am I supposed to update a game via internet without internet? That will not gonna work ^^ unless you provide the update as executable retrieved from somewhere else (if you trust it).

The main question is: why should anyone decline an update? Having an option is OK, but tell me a good reason why you want less bugs or outdated graphics? Lets take not the rare case into account whereas mods don't work, I can understand that argument, lets talk about an original game that isn't modified by the user, like on a console...
Posted By: Rei_Ayanami

Re: how to create button for update my game? - 07/31/10 15:40

I like the way GTA IV (PC version) did it. I can download an update if I want, if not I can still play (not sure about online mode though). If it would update itself automatically I would need to wait more than an hour to play it.

So I do not need the game running to download an update. It just links to the rockstar update website - that is the best way for me.
Posted By: Quad

Re: how to create button for update my game? - 07/31/10 18:05

i love the way steam does it, it just updates the game and does not even tell you anything before updating grin

Re: how to create button for update my game? - 08/01/10 09:24

Originally Posted By: Quadraxas
i love the way steam does it, it just updates the game and does not even tell you anything before updating grin

I don't use steam, but this is what I meant. End of the software release cycle. Think about it: web 2.0 services are always in perpetual beta state. You don't even notice that they are updated, bugfixed and extended.
Posted By: slacer

Re: how to create button for update my game? - 08/01/10 19:40

Originally Posted By: HeelX

The main question is: why should anyone decline an update? Having an option is OK, but tell me a good reason why you want less bugs or outdated graphics? Lets take not the rare case into account whereas mods don't work, I can understand that argument, lets talk about an original game that isn't modified by the user, like on a console...

Automatic/Forced updates are a bad thing if the developer decides to change the game play in multiplayer games like Diablo II if the game forum is already flooded with postings about bad game balance because of that patch.

Or things like: that game does not like my graphic card with patch 10.02

Re: how to create button for update my game? - 08/01/10 19:49

Oh, didn't thought about that. Yeah, I think you are right about it... nevertheless!!! -> developers shouldn't upload such stupid patches then, though ;-)
© 2024 lite-C Forums