Bad sorting problem

Posted By: Iglarion

Bad sorting problem - 07/29/11 00:57

We have big problems with alphamaps in 3dgs. If we use tree without overlay we have bad sorting, but seams looks very fluid and have nice transistion and this is what we wanna have.
In second tree we see the raw seams, sorting is ok, but seams looks totaly bad! Where we can use fluid seams like in first tree with right sorting?

Attached picture alphaproblems.JPG
Posted By: JibbSmart

Re: Bad sorting problem - 07/29/11 02:20

Sorting is never done on a per-polygon basis. Since the objects are transparent, they don't write to the z-buffer, so they can't stop anything rendered later from being rendered over them. The last polygons rendered will appear over everything else, so if you can change the order in which the polygons are stored (which can be done in Blender, I believe, and other programs by copying and pasting, probably) you can reduce this problem.

Jibb
Posted By: Spirit

Re: Bad sorting problem - 07/29/11 09:28

The manual is your friend, look under "Transparency": http://manual.3dgamestudio.net/wed_entities.htm

I don't think that a certain order of polygons would solve the problem, because when you look at the tree from the other side the order is still wrong. The only way would be ordering them in real time but no engine does that.
Posted By: Schloder87

Re: Bad sorting problem - 07/29/11 11:39

in our game we only can see the tree from one side. but i really dont know how to order polygons right? does anyone has some kind of tutorial?
Posted By: Pappenheimer

Re: Bad sorting problem - 07/29/11 12:11

That's a different thing. Its about cull mode. You don't have a face at the backside of your tree. With a setting in the material for that model you can set the backside visible.
Posted By: Schloder87

Re: Bad sorting problem - 07/29/11 12:13

oh no what i wanted to express is, that other side is not important for us. because player will only see the tree from front side, back side is not important, but how to order the polygons right for this??

Re: Bad sorting problem - 07/29/11 12:21

Just to be clearer, we need this for sidescroller view, behind tree is sky.

Re: Bad sorting problem - 07/29/11 12:23

In blender there's an "Xsort" function that sorts vertex data in the X direction. I guess you'd want to orientate your tree such that the X direction is the direction you'd want to view it from, then use the Xsort function, then rotate it back.

Jibb

Re: Bad sorting problem - 07/30/11 15:07

Hi Jibb, i just download blender and i cant find "Xsort" function there. Any other sugestions?

Re: Bad sorting problem - 07/30/11 15:46

Hm... Blender 2.5 and above has a search function... I think you hit "space" and then just start typing the name of the function you're looking for. However, I still use 2.49 because it's what I'm familiar with, and I only use blender for a few simple things that Sculptris+ZBrush would be overkill for.

In Blender 2.49, select the object you want to edit and hit TAB to go into Edit Mode. Once there, in the default layout, the centre-bottom of your screen should have all sorts of different buttons labelled "Noise", "Hash", "Xsort", and a bunch of others.

Jibb
Posted By: Pappenheimer

Re: Bad sorting problem - 07/31/11 11:44

Maybe, I don't understand what you're talking is about,
but I guess in blender 2.5 there is Face Sort and Vertex Sort, instead.
The functions now sort relating the current view.
In Edit Mode -> Mesh -> Vertices... -> Vertex Sort and Faces... -> Face Sort

Re: Bad sorting problem - 07/31/11 20:39

Thank you guys i will check this (this is the first time in my life i use a blender crazy )
© 2024 lite-C Forums