Terrain Multitexuring: Best method?

Posted By: Rondidon

Terrain Multitexuring: Best method? - 12/18/11 16:27

Hello,

I`ve got a huge terrain that wants to be textured. It`s modelled in Blender and expoted as MDL.

I`m searching for a good multitexturing shader now. In the past I always used MED or IceX to texture my (smaller) terrains, but that`s not a good method for this specific model. How do I solve the problem of getting a nice Blendmap for my terrain? Does it make sense to create it directly in Blender or should I use an extrenal solution? Which multitexturing shader is best-suited for large terrains? Does anybody have experience with the Shade-C terrain shader?

The terrain was 256x128 faces. I used the decimate modificator in Blender to get it polygon-optimized. Therefore it`s not symmetric. I hope that`s not a problem.

Thanks very much for your help!

- Robin

Re: Terrain Multitexuring: Best method? - 12/18/11 17:33

Translated it to English. Thanks for helping me out!
Posted By: Superku

Re: Terrain Multitexuring: Best method? - 12/18/11 17:43

As you still got the level in Blender, I would export the terrain non-optimized and save it as a hmp. Then I would use the variable terrain_lod to activate acknex' native dynamical LOD functionality.

Re: Terrain Multitexuring: Best method? - 12/18/11 17:48

The Blender Gamestudio exporter has some problems with terrain export (128x256). I can`t export it without modifications.

How can I convert a mdl to a hmp?

Re: Terrain Multitexuring: Best method? - 12/18/11 17:59

Quote:
And how can I convert a mdl to a hmp?

MED -> Object -> Convert to Terrain. The model of course has to fulfill some restrictions such as equidistant vertices.

I don't know about the exporter, though. Maybe you can try to fix it as you did with the unit scale?

Re: Terrain Multitexuring: Best method? - 12/18/11 18:10

Managed to export it via FBX. But I can`t convert it to terrain because it`s "no regular grid". I think that`s because the vertices aren`t equidistant.
Think there`s no way to get it converted to a hmp?

So let`s go back to texturing. How to texture this mdl7 file now using a multitexturing shader? What`s the best method to get a nice Blendmap for it?

Re: Terrain Multitexuring: Best method? - 12/18/11 19:17

What I would do is write my own multitex shader with a basic blendmap. Then I would write a simple tool that lets me paint directly onto the blendmap channels, this shouldn't be too hard for a terrain.
© 2024 lite-C Forums