Quick question about levels.

Posted By: ololo

Quick question about levels. - 12/24/11 18:50

Hi!
I just wanted to know what's better:
1) Making level's in WED
2) or making level's in other softwares and then importing those in WED. IF yes, what software should i use then?I know many softwares, but what would you recommend?
Thanks in advance!(sorry for my bad english frown )
Posted By: reknak

Re: Quick question about levels. - 12/24/11 23:52

That depends on what you want to achieve. WED is easier for simple maps that have retangular or square scenery's (like a maze like map, or your typical Doom like shooter with lots of corridors maps). More complicated map scenery's with lots of detail can be made in a model editor. Or maybe you want to create an outdoor map, say a desert. You can use the MED (gamestudio's model editor) to easily create a 'terrain' model (.hmp if I remember correctly) for the desert. If you define better as what has more possibilities and what can reach more detail, I would say a model editor. But, why use one when you can make use of both? They both have advantages and disadvantages. Hope that kind of cleares it up wink.

Re: Quick question about levels. - 12/25/11 08:08

Thanks for the answer!I wanted to make a horror scenery.So it's ok to make a level in MED and then import into WED as an object?
Posted By: reknak

Re: Quick question about levels. - 12/25/11 11:40

Yes, just make sure you do NOT import your model scenery in WED through add->add model, instead do THIS: file->import -> import from MDL files (otherwise you will have ugly lightning in your scenery).
Posted By: Roel

Re: Quick question about levels. - 12/25/11 15:59

When making levels, i personally find it easier to use wed, blender, or another program for 3d models(except the model editor).
The model editor works, but things can be done faster with other 3d programs.

Re: Quick question about levels. - 12/25/11 18:29

I think it's a stupid question , but if I make a level in Blender and then import in WED, will i have problems with the size of the level?(too big for player , too small etc.)I know i can make the object smaller or bigger , but i will probably have problems with textures.
Posted By: Roel

Re: Quick question about levels. - 12/25/11 21:10

you can scale everything in wed, or in blender.
if you have problems with textures you can experiment with the uv's
but it's the same with importing from med.
By the way, the fbx gives the size of the bounding box, so you can scale how big it's going to be.

using an other editor than wed always means some experimenting, I think.
© 2024 lite-C Forums