Getting one section of model to move

Posted By: Ruben

Getting one section of model to move - 08/01/16 19:44

I have a model of a magic portal. It is a circular portal, with a circular frame around it. They are all a part of the same .mdl model.

I am trying to make it so that the portal will slowly rotate, while the frame does not. The frame should stay in place while the portal inside moves in a rotating manner.

Is there a function or method to specify one piece of the model to perform a certain action like rotating, such as by a specific Group or something within the model? For instance, I notice the portal is Group #1 in the .mdl file, while pieces of the frame are other different Group numbers.
Posted By: Realspawn

Re: Getting one section of model to move - 08/02/16 09:48

i think best solution would to part the model in 2 seperate models
easier to handle so 1 frame model 1 circle model.

I am not sure if one model can have 2 seperate animated parts at there own speed level.
Posted By: Reconnoiter

Re: Getting one section of model to move - 08/02/16 10:29

Just animate only the portal in the some animation frames or add bone to the center of the portal, attach vertices to it, name the bone and use ent_bonerotate to rotate it around the angles you want.
Posted By: Ruben

Re: Getting one section of model to move - 08/06/16 18:27

Originally Posted By: Reconnoiter
Just animate only the portal in the some animation frames or add bone to the center of the portal, attach vertices to it, name the bone and use ent_bonerotate to rotate it around the angles you want.

Thank you Reconnoiter. I ended up just doing without the frame, but your post is making me think about putting it back in, for it sounds like it will work. I will try it, and let you know how it goes. Thank you.
Posted By: alibaba

Re: Getting one section of model to move - 08/07/16 07:00

Or attach a bone to that portal and use ent_bonerotate
Posted By: Reconnoiter

Re: Getting one section of model to move - 08/07/16 10:16

np, to add to what alibaba said you can also combine them when you do ent_animate first and than ent_bonerotate. Depends on your exact needs. If you only want to rotate the portal than only ent_bonerotate is an easier solution.
© 2024 lite-C Forums