A8 compiler/Scripting

Posted By: Axle

A8 compiler/Scripting - 12/31/19 11:15

Hi all laugh
I am a little confused about Acknex A8 and Lite-C. Does Gamestudio use a compiler, or is it scripted with an interpreter?
I see a lot of C headers and source, so some part of me assumed a compiler, but maybe it is some form of C-Script??
Either way where is or name of the compiler or interpreter?

I see some notes on using acknex.dll source in VC++ but can't seam to find much else. <- links to info is helpful.

I am attempting to use Acknex A8 and lite-C side by side with my other C/C++ projects on GCC and MinGW-64. So I am looking for a little information on integrating lite-C/A8 with GCC-MinGW-64 or using both tool sets side by side. Any information with regards to this would be greatly appreciated... links, docs, old forum posts.

Thanks in advance
Axle
Posted By: txesmi

Re: A8 compiler/Scripting - 01/01/20 13:11

Hi,
3dgs has its own compiler, it is not interpreted. 'WED.exe' is the core and level compiler, 'acknex.exe' is the litec compiler but it is called from WED.

Highest versions let you build 3dgs projects in C++ and your compiler linking to the SDK found at the 'sdk_engine' folder into 3dgs installation folder. There is a little example there.
Posted By: Axle

Re: A8 compiler/Scripting - 01/02/20 01:56

Thank you very much for that explanation txemsi laugh
I have the A8 Pro version and just starting to familiarize my self. There is some command line explanations under help "Engine" that I have read.

I was thinking of runtime linking against acknex.dll and dependencies for some of my smaller C applications.
I also see on re-reading some of the docs that it can both compile to byte code or compile scripts at runtime, so guessing best of both worlds laugh

Some friends say I'm crazy investing in such an old system and "C is dead. forget about it", but I love C to the end of the world and Acknex and Lite-C look like a great fit.
I use GCC and MinGW-64 (no MS VC compiler).

Thanks agian, I'll check in and say hi when I get some code up and running.
Axle
Posted By: txesmi

Re: A8 compiler/Scripting - 01/02/20 11:26

You are welcome. Admittedly, it's a brave decision grin The engine has not been updated for the last lustrum and it is never going to be updated, I afraid. In addition, the community is scarce and hobbist.The picture is not rosy.
Posted By: 3run

Re: A8 compiler/Scripting - 01/02/20 12:04

Originally Posted by txesmi
it's a brave decision grin
I have to agree grin Consider this engine to be dead.

Anyway, welcome to our community! laugh
Posted By: Dooley

Re: A8 compiler/Scripting - 01/02/20 16:45

Nevertheless, it is possible to make and release games on Steam with A8, even getting mostly positive reviews (so far).
Posted By: Frederick_Lim

Re: A8 compiler/Scripting - 01/09/20 14:37

Originally Posted by 3run
Originally Posted by txesmi
it's a brave decision grin
I have to agree grin Consider this engine to be dead.

Maybe JCL made too much money with Zorro grin
© 2024 lite-C Forums