Just got A8 Pro!

Posted By: Eagle

Just got A8 Pro! - 01/28/21 06:15

I couldn't believe how much they cut the price of the Pro software!
Can't wait to see what this will do.

Always~
Posted By: Tails01

Re: Just got A8 Pro! - 01/28/21 20:42

wasn't it always around 220$ ?? I didn't notice any pricecut ...
https://order.shareit.com/product?p...=JPY&currencies=ALL&locale=ja_JP

Re: Just got A8 Pro! - 01/28/21 23:29

Hi Tails01,
if you upgrade from the Commercial version then you pay 75.00! So Sweet!!
Posted By: Dooley

Re: Just got A8 Pro! - 01/29/21 01:07

Pro used to be $1000 laugh

Re: Just got A8 Pro! - 01/29/21 01:14

Originally Posted by Dooley
Pro used to be $1000 laugh

Exactly! now anyone can afford it, hopefully this is a New start for Game Studio 8 and not it's End.

Always~
Posted By: 3run

Re: Just got A8 Pro! - 01/29/21 13:44

It would be great if acknex was shared for free. since it's not supported/updated anymore + it's outdated in terms of tech. This would help to bring more newcomers I think. I remember back in the days old users (including me) were hoping to see acknex go open-source, but that just never happened... Today at least having it shared for free would be cool to keep it more alive. But sadly this would never happen too I think.

Re: Just got A8 Pro! - 01/29/21 17:26

3run! So good to see you here!
I bet Jcl might just do that if you asked!
So good to see you here 3run~

Always~
PS: I have Pro! WEEEeeeeee!!!

Re: Just got A8 Pro! - 01/29/21 17:54

Originally Posted by 3run
hoping to see acknex go open-source, but that just never happened... Today at least having it shared for free would be cool to keep it more alive. But sadly this would never happen too I think.

making it open source seems to be the only way for 3dgs to catchup.. would be a shame to see it die. cause after all 3dgs is a great way for teaching kids how to program and having fun with it.

Re: Just got A8 Pro! - 01/30/21 09:48

Sadly it's already dead. Even if it would become open-source nowadays (which won't happen due to some licensing issues about Lite-C compiler), it's not going to catch up with leading engines, because it's too outdated and lacks a lot of features compared to them. And users which were about to invest their time into acknex development are already gone (switched engines or working on their own ones). Back in the days, it may have made more sense, but now it's too late. The only way to bring some life into the acknex is to make it free or make it, even more, cheaper (for symbolic pricing). Even for a price like 300$, it has no chance against other tools that are free (Godot) or semi-free (Unity). These are just my two cents.

Greets!
Posted By: Quad

Re: Just got A8 Pro! - 01/30/21 09:58

@Eagle,
It's been $200 for a while but it does not seem like it helped much.

@Tails1 & 3Run,
Suggestions of acknex going open source comes up from time to time, but it seems like the work involved in open sourcing it is not worth the time investment required by JCL. From what i can gather from past discussions, particularly Lite-C(or it's compiler) is not opensourcable due to past licensing agreements during it's development and it's a lot of work to remove it.

We could maybe, in theory, convince JCL to agree to a crowdfunding campaign to open-source acknex if it's successful, BUT i think it would fail to collect enough money for the campaign which would also prove(to JCL) that there is not enough demand for an open source acknex.

An easier way to convince would be someone from the community(or multiple people) with extensive knowledge of both acknex and how game engines work, and is also interested in an open source acknex, under contract, to do the work required to open source it for free.(interested users could donate) But i doubt anyone from community with the required skill or the time would agree to this at this point. Community and acknex is too far dead for this, i tihnk.

Re: Just got A8 Pro! - 01/30/21 10:16

Originally Posted by Quad
Community and acknex is too far dead for this, i tihnk.
This is so true... sad, but true. It's too late.

About the price, it shows 270,41 USD, but if I choose Russian Rubles (RUB) it's about 300$ (probably due to RUB to USD conversion).
Posted By: Quad

Re: Just got A8 Pro! - 01/30/21 10:28

Originally Posted by 3run

About the price, it shows 270,41 USD, but if I choose Russian Rubles (RUB) it's about 300$ (probably due to RUB to USD conversion).

It must be due to some conversation rate stuff + tax differences, it shows 199 USD+ 18% VAT which amounts to 234.82 USD when i choose USD. It results in equivalent of $260 if i choose Turkish Lira (TRY)

Re: Just got A8 Pro! - 01/30/21 11:37

Originally Posted by Quad
particularly Lite-C(or it's compiler) is not opensourcable due to past licensing agreements during it's development and it's a lot of work to remove it.

We could maybe, in theory, convince JCL to agree to a crowdfunding campaign to open-source acknex if it's successful, BUT i think it would fail to collect enough money for the campaign which would also prove(to JCL) that there is not enough demand for an open source acknex.

Thanks for the insight, I'm not so familiar about whats happening behind the stage.

260$ (JPY) for a bugged outdated version is kinda.. well.. i.e. you need to manually download the current ackphysX.dll from rojan to make physXCloth working.. manually install vcredist2005 to make the med fbx2010 importer to work.. etc. Give it another pricecut or bribe some famous youtubers to make a positive review on it to lure a few more retro lovers^^. Im also willing to make my contribution to this legacy as well.

Re: Just got A8 Pro! - 01/30/21 16:18

Hi Quad, Good to see you here still, its been a long time.
© 2024 lite-C Forums