Hilbert's Hotel

Diskussionsforum zur Unendlichkeit: Theismus, Atheismus, Primzahlen, Unsterblichkeit, das Universum...
Discussing Infinity: theism and atheism, prime numbers, immortality, cosmology, philosophy...

Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,094 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Big Bang [Re: mpdeveloper_B] #84702
08/24/06 14:23
08/24/06 14:23
Austria
Blattsalat Offline
Senior Expert
Blattsalat  Offline
Senior Expert

Austria
we are on topic. the issue here is if science is euqual to philosophy. because if it is the creation of the universe is simple: some superpower dropped by and snipped with his fingers. viola.

the issue with the infinite universe has the problem that science shows that it is finite in space and time.
the issue is more if it is the only one or not and how the whole system works together.

Models, Textures and Levels at:
http://www.blattsalat.com/
portfolio:
http://showcase.blattsalat.com/
Re: Big Bang [Re: Blattsalat] #84703
08/25/06 19:10
08/25/06 19:10
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Quote:

the issue with the infinite universe has the problem that science shows that it is finite in space and time.
the issue is more if it is the only one or not and how the whole system works together.

I thought scientists actually thought the universe is infinite, as in 'expanding in volume and no sign of stopping anytime soon'? Besides, we don't life long enough to fully determine wether or not something is infact infinite, apart from not being able to really look far enough into the past.

When I'm not mistaken, we can't trully see the boundaries of the universe, or at least we think we can't. The best bet we got is based upon a theory which could be wrong, eventhough it sounds pretty reasonable to me.

web page

Quote:

i agree with phoemox's universal discription, it's infinate, although a human mind may not be able to understand that it is infinate, and that anything can be infinate, it is. you do not have to understand the universe for it to exist the way it does.

That's what I meant indeed. We can't see as far as might be needed to see the boundaries, if there even are any. And if there are no boundaries to be seen, will it be simply because we can't look far enough, or because it's infinitely further away because the universe is infinite? It's a 3 to 1 situation, where 'infinite universe' still has the upper hand if you ask me, or?

I'm still looking for some good reading material on the expansion of the universe, since I do not understand how they actually have found out this is happening. Well, seeing several galaxies move further and further away is one thing, but concluding the whole universe is expanding is another step. I'm especially curious about the details why and how they exactly came to that conclusion.

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: Big Bang [Re: PHeMoX] #84704
08/25/06 20:53
08/25/06 20:53
A
Alberto Offline OP
Alberto  Offline OP
A

Quote:

Well, seeing several galaxies move further and further away is one thing, but concluding the whole universe is expanding is another step. I'm especially curious about the details why and how they exactly came to that conclusion.

Cheers

As far as I know this is the only reason why they come to that conclusion

At the beginning , Einstein did not beleive in an expanding universe but Hubbles succeeded in convincing him

The theory of the relativity itself admit any kind of universe : expanding - stable - contracting

Re: Big Bang [Re: Alberto] #84705
08/25/06 22:51
08/25/06 22:51
M
Matt_Aufderheide Offline
Expert
Matt_Aufderheide  Offline
Expert
M

Everything that can be seen from earth seems to be expanding.. but that doesnt mean somewhere there aren't other galactic superclusters that aren't expanding, or are expanding from another point.. etc. Cosmology has some inherent limitations; you can only predict what you cant see, not assume.

The idea that the Universe is just all that we can see from Earth is bound to be false.

Sphere Engine--the premier A6 graphics plugin.
Re: Big Bang [Re: Matt_Aufderheide] #84706
08/26/06 10:48
08/26/06 10:48
A
Alberto Offline OP
Alberto  Offline OP
A

Quote:

you can only predict what you cant see, not assume.
The idea that the Universe is just all that we can see from Earth is bound to be false.

Well , you should should reject 99 % of science discoveries, then !!!

If billions galaxies are moving away from earth and just a few of them are getting closer it is defintly unlikely that the situation is different in the remote part of universe

However the expansion of universe is also supported by the theory of relativity, up to a certain extent,even though it is not the unique solution of the Einstein's cosmology equation

According to the theory of relativity , space is not just an empty box, rather it is a sort of protuberation of matter

Imagine some ants (the galaxies) walking on the surface of a ball (The space)

If the radius of the ball increases than also the distance among the ants alwayes increase even though the ants move to random directions

This is the reason why some galaxies move away at a speed higher than the speed of the light
The speed limit does not take into account the deformation of the space

Beside an non uniform deformation of the space, is not consistent, as far as I know with the theory

Re: Big Bang [Re: Alberto] #84707
09/12/06 03:43
09/12/06 03:43
Ottawa
MathewAllen Offline
MathewAllen  Offline

Ottawa
WOAH
this just occured to me.
What happens if we're moving the speed of light
And another galaxy is too
and we're going the opposite direction?
Does the relative speed limit hold?
I can't believe I've never thought of that.
Since its late at night I can't even contemplate what it would mean if the speed limit holds.
If it doesn't that explains the galaxies faster then light, without and expanding space.

Re: Big Bang [Re: MathewAllen] #84708
09/12/06 08:48
09/12/06 08:48
Frankfurt
jcl Offline

Chief Engineer
jcl  Offline

Chief Engineer

Frankfurt
No, the relative speed limit does not hold in that case. In fact all galaxies further away than a certain distance (46 billion light years) are moving away from us faster than the speed of light.

This is because the galaxies are not really moving, but the space is expanding. If you had two rockets moving away from each other, each one with almost the speed of light, their relative speed would not be greater than the speed of light.

Re: Big Bang [Re: MathewAllen] #84709
09/15/06 18:50
09/15/06 18:50
A
Alberto Offline OP
Alberto  Offline OP
A

Quote:

WOAH
What happens if we're moving the speed of light

The point is that this question does no make sense
People (I include myself of course ) can not fully get rid of their ego centric view of the universe
According to the theory of relativity all the observers can considered themselves as still.

Re: Big Bang [Re: Alberto] #84710
09/15/06 19:56
09/15/06 19:56
A
Alberto Offline OP
Alberto  Offline OP
A

Just some words more
Claiming :

We are moving...
We are going to opposite direction...

You assume the existence of the " Empty box " (The space) to which you refer yours and the other object's speed
Claiming

I am moving.....

We normaly mean ....relative to the ground
It easy to replace earth (ground) with a generic absolute coord system
It is what Newton did.
On the contrary it is hard to eliminate the "Absolute 3d Coord system "
Suppose for a while that universe disappears
Our intuition assume that as long as you we define a 3d ccord system then we can define a speed
But it is not Einstein's opinion
According to the theory of relativity,If matter does not exist also space and time do not exist

Re: Big Bang [Re: Alberto] #84711
09/17/06 15:36
09/17/06 15:36
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Quote:

On the contrary it is hard to eliminate the "Absolute 3d Coord system "

I might not understand you correctly, but this doesn't even exist. To determine distance differences and/or relative location you'd need to know the location of 2 (2D-distance) to 3 (3D distance+direction) 3D points. Those 3 points can have any location (value) you'd assign to them, as long it's correct in relative comparison to eachother. Even with an empty box, you'd need matter to be able to compare locations, especially when you don't know the boundaries, hence absolute locations do not exist.

In a universe that's expanding, there's no location that keeps the same coordinates, always. Simply put, a universe that's expanding can have a central point that's moving, because it's boundaries change. Off course you could simply define a location and calculate it's deviation by the expansion of the universe over time, but what good would that be when distances, time and direction are all relative to other things (matter) as Einstein figured out? An artificial grid of absolute coordinates makes absolutely no sense in my opinion.

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  jcl, Lukas, old_bill, Spirit 

Kompaktes W�rterbuch des UnendlichenCompact Dictionary of the Infinite