by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (AndrewAMD, Ayumi), 1,405 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Blender - creating vertices and building faces #85694
08/12/06 21:01
08/12/06 21:01
Minot, North Dakota, USA
ulillillia Offline OP
Senior Expert
ulillillia  Offline OP
Senior Expert

Minot, North Dakota, USA
I don't know where to post this. Like with MED and that there's an option to create vertices merely by clicking in the views, how do you do this (and build faces based from these vertices)? There doesn't seem to be a way to create vertices. All I want to do is check to see if Blender solves the UV mapping issue I have with MED that's preventing me from doing anything beyond very simple things with 3D.

"You level up the fastest and easiest if you do things at your own level and no higher or lower" - useful tip My 2D game - release on Jun 13th; My tutorials
Re: Blender - creating vertices and building faces [Re: ulillillia] #85695
08/12/06 21:09
08/12/06 21:09
ventilator Offline
Senior Expert
ventilator  Offline
Senior Expert

in edit mode and vertex select mode:

ctrl + left click = create vertex

if you don't want that vertices get connected with edges then deselect the newly created vertex (with [a] key) before creating another one.

by selecting 3 or 4 vertices or 2 edges and pressing [f] you can create a face.

yes, i think blender could solve your uv-mapping issue! you can scale uvs by entering numbers for example.

Re: Blender - creating vertices and building faces [Re: ventilator] #85696
08/12/06 22:59
08/12/06 22:59
Minot, North Dakota, USA
ulillillia Offline OP
Senior Expert
ulillillia  Offline OP
Senior Expert

Minot, North Dakota, USA
I don't like the interface of Blender all that much for making models with - I'm far faster and better with MED in this case. Is there a way I can make MED export to the format Blender uses so I can UV map the model in Blender then reexport it to MED again?

"You level up the fastest and easiest if you do things at your own level and no higher or lower" - useful tip My 2D game - release on Jun 13th; My tutorials
Re: Blender - creating vertices and building faces [Re: ulillillia] #85697
08/12/06 23:06
08/12/06 23:06
ventilator Offline
Senior Expert
ventilator  Offline
Senior Expert

with the 3ds format you should be able to get med models into blender. there was a bug with blender's 3ds importer though and i don't know if it got fixed in the recent version. maybe you will have to convert the 3ds to obj with wings3d first. from blender you can export mdl7 then after you are done.

learning blender is worth it! after some practice it's possible to work much faster in blender than in med.

Re: Blender - creating vertices and building faces [Re: ulillillia] #85698
08/12/06 23:11
08/12/06 23:11
O
Orange Brat Offline

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline

Senior Expert
O

Quote:

I don't like the interface of Blender all that much for making models with - I'm far faster and better with MED in this case.

You can change it to look more like a traditional 3D tool. Here's my layout:

Also, pull down the console and change View rotation to "Turntable."

My User Contributions master list - my initial post links are down but scroll down page to find list to active links
Re: Blender - creating vertices and building faces [Re: ventilator] #85699
08/12/06 23:34
08/12/06 23:34
Minot, North Dakota, USA
ulillillia Offline OP
Senior Expert
ulillillia  Offline OP
Senior Expert

Minot, North Dakota, USA
Blender seems to be crashing when I select multiple faces of my test subject. I first import the 3DS file I created with MED's export using the default settings - it appears the way I expected. I then switch to UV face mode, select one face, hold the control key down, then select a second face and wham - Blender crashes. Is this that bug? It's happening every single time.

Re: Blender - creating vertices and building faces [Re: ulillillia] #85700
08/12/06 23:39
08/12/06 23:39
ventilator Offline
Senior Expert
ventilator  Offline
Senior Expert

blender usually is really stable for me.

can you upload your test model? then i could test if it crashes for me too.

Re: Blender - creating vertices and building faces [Re: ventilator] #85701
08/12/06 23:58
08/12/06 23:58
Minot, North Dakota, USA
ulillillia Offline OP
Senior Expert
ulillillia  Offline OP
Senior Expert

Minot, North Dakota, USA
Here's the details, as screenshots:

Screenshot #1 - before the crash
Before the crash, this is what I'm seeing. After finishing the import of the 3DS file, I'm here in about 3 to 4 seconds. I right-clicked on the face as shown. When I hold the control key and right-click on the face clockwise from here (or any face at that), I get this:

Screenshot #2 - after the crash
These are the crash details I'm getting. Zonealarm Pro pops up a notice saying of Blender trying to access dwwin.exe, which seems to be the error-reporting console (as I once denied it and the error reporting thing didn't come up and Blender just closed). It's happening every single time I do this.

This is my simple test subject, one of which MED's UV mapping system is making it tricky to process properly.

Re: Blender - creating vertices and building faces [Re: ulillillia] #85702
08/13/06 00:07
08/13/06 00:07
ventilator Offline
Senior Expert
ventilator  Offline
Senior Expert

strange, it doesn't crash for me. works fine here... what graphics card do you use? do you use the latest drivers?

i think instead of [control] you have to hold [shift] to select additional faces! does selecting all faces ([a] key) work?

Re: Blender - creating vertices and building faces [Re: ventilator] #85703
08/13/06 00:21
08/13/06 00:21
Minot, North Dakota, USA
ulillillia Offline OP
Senior Expert
ulillillia  Offline OP
Senior Expert

Minot, North Dakota, USA
Holding shift works, but using control (as it is with other programs) causes the crash to happen. I use Nvidia GeForce 7600 GT as the video card. The drivers are those from the CD, otherwise never updated (but should be fairly recent). Pressing the A key works just fine. It's as soon as I right-click (this should normally be left-click) on something while holding the control key. Normally, when selecting multiple objects, it's the control key. The shift key is used to select a range.

It seems like everything is backwards in Blender. It's left-click to select things and control to add/subtract to the selection, not right-click and shift. It's often messing me up as all other programs have it the opposite of what Blender is using (and Blender doesn't seem to remember the settings every time which adds to the annoyance as snapping is disabled and that sort of thing.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  HeelX, rvL_eXile 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de