Hilbert's Hotel

Diskussionsforum zur Unendlichkeit: Theismus, Atheismus, Primzahlen, Unsterblichkeit, das Universum...
Discussing Infinity: theism and atheism, prime numbers, immortality, cosmology, philosophy...

Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
5 registered members (AndrewAMD, alibaba, Konsti, 2 invisible), 1,418 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
The future of the big bang #89517
09/11/06 18:03
09/11/06 18:03

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/09/060905104549.htm

I know there's already a thread, but this might steer the discussion away from the original purpose...

I don't really know if I need to add anything to this. I never bought the big bang garbage to begin with, so this isn't so much of a surprise for me.

Perhaps we can have some thoughts on it. I'm no physicist, so I couldn't dream up any explanations that could save the big bang in a million years, but I'd imagine someone will try. Either way, any alternative explanation will undoubtedly be no better, but I suppose even atheists need their creation myths.

Re: The future of the big bang #89518
09/11/06 18:04
09/11/06 18:04
Wisconsin
Irish_Farmer Offline
User
Irish_Farmer  Offline
User

Wisconsin
That was me, by the by.

"The task force finds that...the unborn child is a whole human being from the moment of fertilization, that all abortions terminate the life of a human being, and that the unborn child is a separate human patient under the care of modern medicine."
Re: The future of the big bang [Re: Irish_Farmer] #89519
09/12/06 02:43
09/12/06 02:43
Bay Area
Doug Offline
Senior Expert
Doug  Offline
Senior Expert

Bay Area
It isn't that atheists need a creation myth, but everybody who's spent enough quiet time with their thoughts will wonder: "Where did it all begin?"

Science rarely (never?) has easy answers. And every answer it finds creates even more questions (not least of which is "Is this the right answer?").

Any "scientist" that tells you he has all the answers is smoking that special "science crack".

Conitec's Free Resources:
User Magazine || Docs and Tutorials || WIKI
Re: The future of the big bang [Re: Doug] #89520
09/12/06 03:34
09/12/06 03:34
Ottawa
MathewAllen Offline
MathewAllen  Offline

Ottawa
EDIT: just read the whole article. LIke i said in the moral relativity thread. No origin point. No co-ordinates. No absolute positions.

Last edited by MathewAllen; 09/12/06 03:37.
Re: The future of the big bang [Re: MathewAllen] #89521
09/12/06 09:01
09/12/06 09:01
Frankfurt
jcl Offline

Chief Engineer
jcl  Offline

Chief Engineer

Frankfurt
This is apparently hard to understand for religious fundamentalists: Science is not a religion. It is not a fixed doctrine, but a permanent gaining of knowledge.

Observations that seemingly contradict previous theories come out every couple of weeks, especially in astronomy. Usually, the solution is found quickly. Sometimes however, astronomic observations lead to a modification of a theory, the development of a new one or - the last time in 1905 - even to abandoning a well-established theory.

This is however not to be expected for this one. Galaxy shadows on the background radiation are extremely weak. They can not be observed directly, but only indirectly through many assumptions and tricks. So the fact that they aren't found with a certain method can have a lot of reasons and is not so exciting at first.

Re: The future of the big bang [Re: jcl] #89522
09/13/06 04:47
09/13/06 04:47
Wisconsin
Irish_Farmer Offline
User
Irish_Farmer  Offline
User

Wisconsin
Quote:

This is apparently hard to understand for religious fundamentalists: Science is not a religion. It is not a fixed doctrine, but a permanent gaining of knowledge.

I would believe this if certain people didn't act like it was. Certainly we could all agree that it is just a theory. But for a lot people, it becomes more than that.

"The task force finds that...the unborn child is a whole human being from the moment of fertilization, that all abortions terminate the life of a human being, and that the unborn child is a separate human patient under the care of modern medicine."
Re: The future of the big bang [Re: Irish_Farmer] #89523
09/13/06 06:51
09/13/06 06:51
USA
June Offline
June  Offline

USA
I'd rather be shopping for shoes!

June
smooth-3d.com
Re: The future of the big bang [Re: June] #89524
09/13/06 07:09
09/13/06 07:09
M
Matt_Aufderheide Offline
Expert
Matt_Aufderheide  Offline
Expert
M

I think The original poster has some problems understanding this article.. it doesnt "prove" that the big bang never happened. Certainly the conclusions call the current cosmology into question, but all it proves is that certain predicted phenomena dont exist in all cases. (specifically shadows in microwave background).

One study like this doesnt yet disprove the big bang cosmology. It does show us how little we really know about the larger universe however, and current cosmology is likely to be very incomplete.

For myself I'm not big suporter of a single universal "Big Bang". The extent of the universe may be much more vast than such a theory predicts. it seems at least concievable that there have been many big bangs in many regions of the universe, each creating galactic super-clusters or even larger structures we know nothing about.

Whether or not the amount of matter in the universe is actually infinite I dont know; certainly there is an amount vast enough that it cant be easily understood. The universe may not be exactly infinite, but it may be indefinite.

The interesting thing about cosmology is that it is a wide-open field, and we can expect many more discoveries and controversies for a long time to come, as methods of seeing farther and with more precision are developed.

Sphere Engine--the premier A6 graphics plugin.
Re: The future of the big bang [Re: Matt_Aufderheide] #89525
09/13/06 22:38
09/13/06 22:38
Wisconsin
Irish_Farmer Offline
User
Irish_Farmer  Offline
User

Wisconsin
Quote:

I think The original poster has some problems understanding this article.. it doesnt "prove" that the big bang never happened. Certainly the conclusions call the current cosmology into question, but all it proves is that certain predicted phenomena dont exist in all cases. (specifically shadows in microwave background).

When you're dealing with an event that can't be observed, reproduced, only guessed at, it better predict everything. Otherwise, what good is it?

Re: The future of the big bang [Re: Irish_Farmer] #89526
09/14/06 08:22
09/14/06 08:22
Frankfurt
jcl Offline

Chief Engineer
jcl  Offline

Chief Engineer

Frankfurt
In case you haven't understood that article, here's a brief explanation.

The microwave background was radiated when the universe became transparent 400,000 years after the big bang. The radiation had a temperature of 3000 K back then, but meanwhile cooled off to around 3 K.

The background radiation reaches us from all directions. However when a galaxy is in the way, it absorbs a small percentage of the radiation. Therefore there's a "shadow" in the background radiation at that position.

Because galaxies mostly consist of empty space, the shadow effect is too weak for direct observation. However when a galaxy moves perpendicular to us, the shadow "lags behind" the image of the galaxy. In this case it can theoretically be observed.

Unfortunately the radiation absorption by a galaxy is very small, like 0.0001 percent, while the background radiation can only be measured with much less precision - like 0.1 percent. Therefore the shadow is still unobservable, however with a lot of tricks and statistical methods some scientist groups have claimed to have observed those shadows in the past years using data from the COBE satellite.

The group mentioned in the article tried to measure the shadows of some galaxies with data from the WMAP satellite, which has a 3 times better precision than COBE. They didn't find shadows. So we have now observations from the COBE and from the WMAP groups that contradict each other.

Unfortunately science has no infallible pope. Thus further observations are necessary to find out which group was right. After 2007 we'll probably know the answer. The PLANCK satellite is then launched, which is 3 times more precise than WMAP.

Contradicting measurements are very common in science, and are always explained sooner or later. Thus I'm afraid the creationist hopes of abandonment of science will be once more disappointed .

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  jcl, Lukas, old_bill, Spirit 

Kompaktes W�rterbuch des UnendlichenCompact Dictionary of the Infinite