Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 05:41
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (AbrahamR, AndrewAMD), 1,278 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
imported models #89755
09/13/06 11:37
09/13/06 11:37
I
ilr Offline OP
ilr  Offline OP
I

sorry if I post it in worng place
I've made several models in 3dsmax, exported them to milkshape, rexported, etc... everything was ok till...
why if I preview the model in med it looks great, like 3d model
if I preview the level in wed the model looks great too.
but if I compile the level and run it the model looks flat like cartoon? texture is fine, color is ok... but it's absolutely flat!

sorry. new to G6.

thank you

Re: imported models [Re: ilr] #89756
09/13/06 11:56
09/13/06 11:56
Sunbury Victoria, AU
Shaque Offline
Shaque  Offline

Sunbury Victoria, AU
You say that the TEXTURE is completely flat? I mean... I've never seen a 3 dimentional texture (unless you call a 2D bump map 3D). If it's the model that looks flat, that's just wierd. How do you mean "flat"? As in Paper Mario / steamroller victim flat, or matt black and no texture? If it's black, it's because you didn't specify ambience and shading in the GXL properties of the model's material before you saved it. I'ts a common thing most people overlook.

You know, you don't have to go to all that trouble with 3DS Max to Milkshape to whatever to MED, just import a 3DS model directly into MED. You will get a perfect model import aside from a texture, which you can import at any size anyway, because MED will resize the UV coordinates to fit the texture. (3DGS version permitting, of course. I refer to A6 and above here.) If you don't know how to texture for MDLs, just select to see lines in the skin viewer and export the image as a temporary UV map and colour it in any paint program. After you make a texture, reimport it to MED. (NOTE: some models cannot be imported into WED past, and I'm not 100% sure on the figure, but 65,535 polygons for models. Height maps can be much larger I think, but I made a huge 250,000+ polygon terrain that just died when I import it to WED.)

I know it's frustrating when you feel your work is good and you don't get the results you're after. I hope this helps you.

Knowledge is a right, wisdom is a choice.
Re: imported models [Re: Shaque] #89757
09/13/06 12:22
09/13/06 12:22
I
ilr Offline OP
ilr  Offline OP
I

the texture is alright. it's the model that looks "flat". Yeah. Kind of Mario indeed .
sorry, that's interesting - how and where do you specify GLX properties?
skin settings in med?
I refer to A6 too.
thank you

Re: imported models [Re: ilr] #89758
09/13/06 13:06
09/13/06 13:06
Sunbury Victoria, AU
Shaque Offline
Shaque  Offline

Sunbury Victoria, AU
To view skins in MED, simply go to the top in the "view" menu and select "skins". This will bring up the texture viewer/editor. You can import/export images from there. To fix the GXL settings, right-click in the 3D view window and press "GXL Properties" then "Advanced D3D Light Settings". From there, go into "Materials" and play around with the sliders until your model darkens a little or lightens. Keep in mind, if you lighten it too much it will be very bright in your game, regardless of sunlight. Trial and error is the only thing I can suggest here. Play with the figures until you find your setting. If you think you have played too much and stuffed your settings, just hit the "Defaults" button and everything goes back to normal.

Re: imported models [Re: Shaque] #89759
09/13/06 13:11
09/13/06 13:11
Potsdam, Brandenburg, Germany
Machinery_Frank Offline
Senior Expert
Machinery_Frank  Offline
Senior Expert

It all depends on the version of Gamestudio that you have. So tell us your version before.

The latest 6.4 has way more features, material options in MED and supports several uv-maps per model. There you can change the way of lighting that even applies in WED.

Models, Textures and Games from Dexsoft
Re: imported models [Re: Machinery_Frank] #89760
09/13/06 13:19
09/13/06 13:19
Sunbury Victoria, AU
Shaque Offline
Shaque  Offline

Sunbury Victoria, AU
As far as I know, what I was referring to here is in all MED versions in A6 and up. I don't know about anything newer than 6.22 as I've been too lazy to upgrade.

Re: imported models [Re: Shaque] #89761
09/13/06 15:25
09/13/06 15:25
Machinery_Frank Offline
Senior Expert
Machinery_Frank  Offline
Senior Expert

Shaque: It is way better to upgrade to newer versions:

1) you get more functions
2) more stability
3) you can use shaders
4) you prove us that you are not a warez user (especially when you use 6.22 pro)

Models, Textures and Games from Dexsoft
Re: imported models [Re: Machinery_Frank] #89762
09/13/06 15:41
09/13/06 15:41
Sunbury Victoria, AU
Shaque Offline
Shaque  Offline

Sunbury Victoria, AU
A warez user? Does that mean I may have a stolen copy? I didn't buy it from Conitec, I bought it from someone I used to work with. Oh, my god!! How do I find out if I've got a dodgey copy?

EDIT: I went to try and upgrade at Conitec and I needed to give my password which was supposed to be on my CD. I have checked my CD and I can't find anything that looks like a password. I also checked the price of A6 Pro and it is much, much more than what I payed for it. It appears that I have purchased what may still belong to another person. I did not realise this because I had not heard of 3DGS before 6 months ago. It appears that I am a warez user, (if thats what it's called) but I did not download it illegally. I apologise to Conitec for this and I will no longer use the software. I am only sorry that I found out after such a short time as I was enjoying using the software.

Does this mean that I will be banned from this forum? I mean, now that I have nothing to talk about, I may not have a need to return. I would buy the software if I had a need to create a game so badly, but I really don't and I really cannot afford the pro version. There's no way I could ever use a standard or trial version now I've tasted pro. I am heartbroken now.

EDIT 2: I'm sorry. This reply does not belong here. I should contact Conitec...

Last edited by Shaque; 09/13/06 16:18.

Re: imported models [Re: Machinery_Frank] #89763
09/14/06 05:23
09/14/06 05:23
I
ilr Offline OP
ilr  Offline OP
I

I have wed 6.731, med 6.814 and GS commercial 6.40.5, everything purchased from official site.
I think I got a better description of my problem:
the model (human being) doesn't reflect light after level is compiled and run, doesn't cast shadows, though it's textured. will prepare and post a couple of screen shots for better understanding.

Re: imported models [Re: ilr] #89764
09/14/06 05:27
09/14/06 05:27
Austria
Blattsalat Offline
Senior Expert
Blattsalat  Offline
Senior Expert

Austria
can you show us a screenshot of the problem?

Models, Textures and Levels at:
http://www.blattsalat.com/
portfolio:
http://showcase.blattsalat.com/
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  HeelX, rvL_eXile 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de