Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
AlpacaZorroPlugin v1.3.0 Released
by kzhao. 05/20/24 01:28
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (kzhao, AndrewAMD, bigsmack), 824 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Streets of Botz for Download #90155
09/15/06 15:19
09/15/06 15:19
Georgia, USA
N
Night Viper Offline OP
Night Viper  Offline OP
N

Georgia, USA
Like it says, SOB is up on the site. The file size is a little on the large size, due to some of the models and music, but I hope some of you check it out anyway. SOB is a side scroller beat'em up, that I made as a test before starting on Mindchamber the Game, so its kind of on the buggy side, but theres fun to be had nevertheless. Download away: SOB

Last edited by Night Viper; 09/15/06 19:51.
Re: Streets of Botz for Download [Re: Night Viper] #90156
09/15/06 15:55
09/15/06 15:55
Germany
E
EddySino Offline
EddySino  Offline
E

Germany
The link does not work , but this is the right link -> http://www.nightvipergames.com/SOB_download.html

wow, 52 MB o.O But the picture looks very nice ....

Last edited by EddySino; 09/15/06 15:56.

GS Version : A6 Extra
Re: Streets of Botz for Download [Re: EddySino] #90157
09/15/06 19:55
09/15/06 19:55
Georgia, USA
N
Night Viper Offline OP
Night Viper  Offline OP
N

Georgia, USA
Oops, your right. I guess that's what I get for using copy/paste. Anyway, I fixed the link, and EddySino's link of course is right. Thanks for the heads up.

Re: Streets of Botz for Download [Re: Night Viper] #90158
09/15/06 21:13
09/15/06 21:13
Straight_Heart Offline
Straight_Heart  Offline

Wow. The main character dosent look like the girl from Starcraft Ghost at all! I dont know what everybody else is saying, but she looks original. Blizzard needs to make their own material. [/sarcasm]

Im downloading the huge demo now. Looks pretty good.

You're not as unique as you think you are, try again.
Re: Streets of Botz for Download [Re: Straight_Heart] #90159
09/15/06 22:18
09/15/06 22:18
Bay City, MI
lostclimate Offline
Expert
lostclimate  Offline
Expert

Bay City, MI
ummm... its good so far, but you need more gameplay like combos and such, i know its a wip thos, and that given it seems to be turning out nicely

Re: Streets of Botz for Download [Re: lostclimate] #90160
09/15/06 23:53
09/15/06 23:53
Straight_Heart Offline
Straight_Heart  Offline

"ummmm" is definitly my standpoint also.

I tried to have fun, but really I didnt. This is a WIP of course, but usually the core of a game should have some decent amount of satisfaction, and honestly I havent found it.

The music is blatently ripped from old snes/genesis games, the boss model is pretty obviously from robocop. The right cursor button is the shoot button?! There arent any transition animations from running to standing. There isnt any shooting animation (character plays the standing animation but bullets come out)

Enemies can be visibily seen in "dormant" and "active" states, most of the time you can see the enemies stand still and then activate when you get within a certain distance to them. This breaks the whole "active invasion" feeling where you feel like you are stumbling upon already moving aliens/robots.

I know your shooting for the whole strafing up and down, yet looking either left or right movement scheme back in the 2d sprite days, but this dosent translate well into 3d, and looks pretty stupid IMO. Seeing her slide down the street with her body playing the forward movment animation just dosent sit right.

If I didnt think this game could be improved upon and made more interesting cause of its potential, I would have "Oh he just made some test system" and moved along, but you can make this game phenomenal if you could improve on a few things.

The things that I liked was the animation of the robot that carried that man away in the beginning cutscene. It had a very comical, bouncy motion to it that offered some quirky sarcastic feel to the robots. Cause sometimes when a game tries too hard to be serious, it ends up being funny, much to the chagrin of the maker. I would also play around with the shooting system, maybe make a targeting system. Yoshi's Island for the N64 was a semi 3d semi 2d platformer that was excellent in melding both 3d environments and using 2d platforming that didnt waste the 3d space. I actually want to see you work on this game more, maybe single out different parts of it and post updates. Maybe you decide to work on the movement alone and get that down right, while posting on the forums. Much more interesting.

Once again, I know you'll stress that this is a WIP, but you put your work under scrutiny whenever you post in any of the showcases. This is a demo posted in its entirety, so I like to disect everything you give.

You're not as unique as you think you are, try again.
Re: Streets of Botz for Download [Re: Straight_Heart] #90161
09/16/06 15:30
09/16/06 15:30
Georgia, USA
N
Night Viper Offline OP
Night Viper  Offline OP
N

Georgia, USA
Quote:

Once again, I know you'll stress that this is a WIP, but you put your work under scrutiny whenever you post in any of the showcases. This is a demo posted in its entirety, so I like to disect everything you give.

Not at all, those were all good comments. However, I should probably stress, that SOB is not actually a WIP. I made this about a year ago, just to put me in the frame of mind, of what I would need to do for Mindchamber the Game. I wanted to get an idea of the faults and obstacles I'd need to look out for ahead of time, mostly the things you just mentioned. I was actually hard pressed whether to release this or not, since it was never intended to be released, but I had several people ask for it and its up there as more of a bonus material then a completed project. I really considered fixing it up, particually since all those problems have been addressed in MCG, but I'm pretty tied down to my other commitments(like MCG) and don't really have the time to spend on something thats not intended to be a full game. So I released it in its untouched glory .

A big part of this mini game was the Spoofing of other beat'em ups. Many of which aren't particularly apparent, but I took from games like Double Dragon, Streets of Rage, and even Trojan(remember that one?). The music is actually remixes from Streets of Rage(the intro) and Double Dragon that I was able to dig up. The models were all left over from some of our other stuff, Botz Attack and Robocop, which is why the animations, don't really blend with each other and fit into the environment. I only spent about a week's time making this, but it was fun to do nevertheless and if your a fan of some of the older beat'em ups there's some fun to be found in finding several of the gags.

Also, I do realize the Tanya bears some meager resemblence to Ghost, but to be fair, our Tanya model was made before they revealed Blizzard's game. That was the first thing I noticed when they showed shots of Ghost. Luckly, it doesn't look like that ones going to get released anytime soon(if ever) so it worked out okay.

MCG, the project this was in preperation for, is a major improvement in what you see in SOB. MCG was completely rewritten, has a combo system, and juggle combos. So there's a lot more of what Lostclimate was saying. I'm hoping to release this in the next couple of months and you can see what a difference it is gameplay and visual -wise.

Re: Streets of Botz for Download [Re: Night Viper] #90162
09/17/06 06:03
09/17/06 06:03
Wisconsin USA
FoxHound Offline
Expert
FoxHound  Offline
Expert

Wisconsin USA
The game is fun and kept me laughing the whole time. The way you packaged it made me want to laugh while using my chainsaw. The only thing you need in a published game is the CD folder. Which when Zip that after deleteing eveyrthing else came out to only 35 megs.

Next one of yoru explosions had a blue alternate. No need for that, with script you can make it take a blue hue. Convert the MP3 sounds to WMA, this way you cna get good quailty with low file size. Convert all your images to DDS, same deal here, good quailty with low file size. Use external textures, the compress much better when the image file is on it's own then when it's in the mdl. This also helps if a coupel of models use the same texture file. It's also not a bad idea to have a few models use the same texture file because 512* uses the least amount of memory per size and can handle several different low poly models for textures when you join several smaller textures into it.

Your boss health bar is done all wrong. I'm guessing your using hbar, learn how window works and use it, much easier.

And I'm not a SOB, I'm THE SOB baby!

Last edited by FoxHound; 09/17/06 06:04.

---------------------
There is no signature here.

QUIT LOOKING FOR ONE!

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de