Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by dr_panther. 05/18/24 11:01
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (7th_zorro, dr_panther), 724 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
a server question #90404
09/16/06 23:36
09/16/06 23:36
Aaron Offline OP
Aaron  Offline OP

Hi I don't fully understand how to setup a server to host's website's and online game modes, if someone would explain or at least point me where to learn the proccess or the setup's of a server and have a understanding about connections.

Thanks for your time.

Re: a server question [Re: Aaron] #90405
09/17/06 15:08
09/17/06 15:08
Netherlands
D3D Offline
Serious User
D3D  Offline
Serious User

Netherlands
Guess you could start by downloading Apache, WAMP or IIS. Depends which server software you like the most. WAMP has Apache + MySQL + PHP included and is very easy to use at home.

What are your intentions with the server? Are you going to host your own website? Use it for testing GS multiplayer applications? Do you want to allow only local access to yourself from your own LAN? or do you want to allow other people connect from over the internet to your server?

Remember that installing a server to allow remote access over the internet isn't safe for workstations (could compromise security). If you don't understand how it works after downloading and going tru the FAQ's, I can help you.

Dusty

smile
Re: a server question [Re: D3D] #90406
09/17/06 18:10
09/17/06 18:10
Aaron Offline OP
Aaron  Offline OP

Hi I already have iis5.1 from the xp pro installation cd, I have a linksystem router for 2 lan computer's and a wireless broadcast but Don't much use the wireless ones, I plan to host my own website with my own Domain like www.mysite.com somthing in that order, and I also want to host gamestudio multiplayer games on my server. I have been looking on google for tutoials on setting up the iis5.1 in the way I wanted it but never work's I bid on ebay for a windows loghorn server software to install on my computer they claim I can use it on my computer or on server hardware. But so Far I got iis5.1 that's provided with xp pro intallation cd, and followed their instructions and many other ones from searches on google.
I want to let people from the internet allowed to access my webpage files and any of the multiplayer online game file's, my router's firewall give me an option to let full access to my computer or have read only access and they explain what they mean by those the read only mean's to only access file to be read and the full access means that they can control or make changes in your computer, which they don't advise to do that.
I don't have a full concept on how the internet work's like I know port 80 support's http commands or request's but I don't have a full Idea on how a server can get on the internet with their own domain. I just know some stuff about it but not much.

But as for right now I need help on getting my website onto the internet using my own server software the iis5.1, and making my own Domain name without using a hosting service.

Thanks for your time.

Re: a server question [Re: Aaron] #90407
09/17/06 22:21
09/17/06 22:21
Netherlands
D3D Offline
Serious User
D3D  Offline
Serious User

Netherlands
Unfortunately I don't own XP Professional and have no access to IIS. However a few things to get the IIS server running.

01: lookup your internal ip from command prompt: ipconfig
02: lookup your external ip from www.whatismyip.com
03: buy a domain name or register one for free
04: download the manual for your linksys router configuration
05: install IIS on your computer and make sure you patch it!

1a: something like 192.168.0.33 or 10.10.0.22
2a: something like 213.112.10.174
3a: could use domain service from www.dyndns.com
4a: don't know if you have it otherwise on their website
5a: this part is done trough install windows software and update site

Example - Your IIS Server

Computer name: IIS
Internal ip address: 192.168.1.44
External ip address: 213.11.135.3

Enter your router configuration tru the webbrowser, sometimes it's just 192.168.0.1, it could be different on your linksys router. I could help with the configuration if I knew the exact type.

Now inside the linksys router configuration you must find Port Forwarding or similair menu in order to configure any requests on port 80, so that it will be forwarded to your IIS internal ip address: 192.168.1.44 as shown in my example, but your internal ip address will not be the same obviously.

If you have installed IIS and you are behind the computer. Just type http://localhost, http://iis or http://192.168.1.44 in the webbrowser to access the standard website. These are actualy all internal domain name and ip addresses, yours might look different from my example, although on all computers http://127.0.0.1 and http://localhost are the same and works.

In case you have installed a software firewall on the IIS server or you have the standard windows firewall enabled, you can't access the IIS server from another computer on your LAN nor from over the internet until you allow access on port 80! You must configure this at the ruleset of that firewall.

To explain about the port forwarding and your router. Just look at it like this. If someone types your domain name www.domain.com, it will redirect to your external ip address and knock on the router door with the request, the router then forward the request to the IIS server on port 80 over to the internal ip address.

Say you didn't forward port 80 on the linksys router and someone from over the internet tries to access your server tru www.domain.com, it goes from the external ip address to the router, but then the router doesn't know what to do with the request or to which computer it must be send and so it will do nothing and just time-out.

If you run a dedicated -sv GS application on the IIS and someone with the client -cl GS application want to connect over the internet to your GS server application you must start the dedicated server with a available port and have that port be forwarded at the linksys router as well, otherwise only you could connect from the LAN, but request from outside LAN would just time-out again.

FYI: to be able to run any multiplayer GS application on a computer, you don't have to install IIS of course. The computer becomes a server atm you run the application with -sv it starts listening for incomming connections.

Also think about bandwidth, this is very important. How much kbps can you upload? Consider this: If a lot of people are browsing your websites and do all sort of things there like forum posting, upload pictures, download games, the bandwidth can slow things down, cause a time-out and become anoying for your visitors.

You can install and run IIS + SQL + Multiplayer GS applications on your computer and allow access from over the internet by other people for sure. Only you must have high bandwidth internet connection.

If you don't have a high bandwidth connection, perhaps you can use your computer as the dedicated server for the multiplayer GS applications and use another webhosting service for the websites. You can interface between them anyway and it will spread the bandwidth allowing more clients to play your games.

A few pro's of having a WebHost

+ always online even if your game server isn't
+ bandwidth does not slow down your dedicated game server
+ easy upload and change tru configuration panels
+ interface between game server and webhost/sites

About your linksys router and not grant access to your computer, well this is true if you not plan to run any server on that computer. When you want to be able to accept and forward incomming connections, you must allow access first at the router and you would have to install some kind of software firewall on the IIS server to secure it.

Sorry this post is getting so long and I can't give real help on the IIS configuration. Maybe someone on the forums has experience with this server software and could explain to you how to setup those websites and server extensions. I could help with the router though, but don't know the type

Dusty

smile
Re: a server question [Re: D3D] #90408
09/18/06 15:55
09/18/06 15:55
Taiwan
A
anfuncy Offline
anfuncy  Offline
A

Taiwan
hey, dusty.
Do you have any idea that using MySQL to store 3DGS's multiplayer source(ex: player names, player skill values, etc.)?
I want my multiplayer game can save the player's data in the server database
and load the data from server when the player login again.
Can c-script access MySQL directly? Or is there other ways can implement it?
My GS version is 6.22 pro. Thanks

Last edited by anfuncy; 09/18/06 16:09.
Re: a server question [Re: anfuncy] #90409
09/18/06 22:18
09/18/06 22:18
Red Dwarf
Michael_Schwarz Offline
Senior Expert
Michael_Schwarz  Offline
Senior Expert

Red Dwarf
1. buy 3dgs
2. there is a plugin

"Sometimes JCL reminds me of Notch, but more competent" ~ Kiyaku
Re: a server question [Re: Michael_Schwarz] #90410
10/01/06 17:41
10/01/06 17:41
J
Jered Offline
Jered  Offline
J

Hello, i am learning the whole "miltiplayer" part of 3dgs. I am without question a newbie to this whole area. As i was reading over the server setup, and looked at WaMP, I thought I might try and get one setup as well...to test with, and also so a few friends can also use the server via the internet, to help me debug or what have you....how would I go about seting up my own server on Win Xp home edition..using the WAMP server....is there a step by step guide that comes with it?

I want to set it up to run my game with it using 3dgs comercial ( i know only 4 people can use it). Thanks for any help you can lend my way....i do know some stuf about multiplayere, but I have a long way to go...so i want to be able to make a simple something...and see how it works through the server...and through a few friends also using it with me. thanks

3DGS (6.4) Commercial
Re: a server question [Re: Jered] #90411
10/14/06 17:10
10/14/06 17:10
Aaron Offline OP
Aaron  Offline OP

I got my webserver upt and running and the url is it's external ip adress, I got a DNS server and set it up and still I can't get my own www.domain.com to represent my website or server ect.

About the game server what do you guy's use to serve this type of service.

I am reall a newbie about Dns making ect and networking. I only know some basic stuff and I know about forwarding, I have hosted shoutcast which is like a online radio ect, used with winamp I have to config my router to forward that host. So I am not a total newbie with networking but can't understand how server's make connections to other computer's.

Re: a server question [Re: Aaron] #90412
10/15/06 09:42
10/15/06 09:42
J
Jered Offline
Jered  Offline
J

as far as 3dgs is concerned, the connection between the client and the server is automatic. As long as you add -sv to the command line parameters of your games exicutable file for the server, and add -cl to the executable for your players exicutable. and give it the IP address ( -ip 66.22.564.345.....or whatever your IP address of the server is) then it will connect on its own...they find each other..

Not sure if that was what you was asking or not though.

3DGS (6.4) Commercial
Re: a server question [Re: Jered] #90413
10/15/06 21:38
10/15/06 21:38
Aaron Offline OP
Aaron  Offline OP

no really but still it was informitive, I can't get my server to run my websites with my own domain name I didn't buy a domain name or got any service of it ,I tried downloading dns server meaning dynamic name service, so I can host my own domain name. I also want to know how did you get your server running for the multi-play game mode online ect. Would I have to use a database on a server to host it. I plan to make a whole new level that is ment for online game play.

I got wamps up and running it is hosting my website but I still can't make my own domain it uses localhost.

what I want to do is have a server to host website's and also host a multi-player game, and also run my own mail service. I want this all done with me able to name the domain without paying I want to host my own Domain.

so instead of localhost or 127.0.0.1 it will be like www.mydomain.com so you can just put that in the address bar in the browser to get to my website, Would I have to download a dns server?? to get my own Domain up and running?

I downloaded a DNS server, However I am tikering with the router becuse the server's are not fully letting other computer's to get the website file.

Any info on about DNS and How to setup wamps and the router linksystem to make it public. Also any tips on making my server sercure to the web so it's hard to hack.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited by Aaron; 10/16/06 03:08.

Moderated by  HeelX, Spirit 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de