by degenerate_762. 04/30/24 23:23
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (ozgur, TipmyPip, AndrewAMD), 1,209 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
is gamestudio worth buying? #91179
09/23/06 03:30
09/23/06 03:30
H
harleyb12 Offline OP
harleyb12  Offline OP
H

i know this is kinda stupid to ask but is it worth it to buy gamestudio?

Re: is gamestudio worth buying? [Re: harleyb12] #91180
09/23/06 03:48
09/23/06 03:48
New England
Rad_Daddy Offline
Rad_Daddy  Offline

New England
Well, what are you planning to do with the engine? What are your expectations?

Regards,
Raddaddy

"Read not to contradict and confute, nor to find talk and discourse, but to weigh and consider." Sir Francis Bacon www.deckscapedesign.com
Re: is gamestudio worth buying? [Re: Rad_Daddy] #91181
09/23/06 04:10
09/23/06 04:10
IL,US
FeiHongJr Offline
Expert
FeiHongJr  Offline
Expert

IL,US
Id say yes, even if you dont plan to make a commercial game. Or even make any games. I have a ton of fun with 3dgs and never made any games. Of course I orginally planned to make one but just dont have the time or energy to put in what it takes.

It teaches you alot and in my opinion its a blast learning stuff. Not only that when you play video games you start to see them in a whole new perspective. Latley every game I play im end up dead a few seconds later because im too busy trying to figure out how they did this or that or looking at textures, level geometry or models.

Even if you only get the standard edition which cost the same price as most video games. Ive been using 3dgs for around 3 years or so... Not too many games get played for that long. So I think its deffinately worth the investment. Download the demo if you havent allready.

However if you think youll be making some awesome game in a month or two then you got another thing comin

http://www.freewebs.com/otama_syndicate/index.htm - Each master to his own technique.

- Not me said the bee, Nor I said the fly.
Re: is gamestudio worth buying? [Re: FeiHongJr] #91182
09/23/06 06:08
09/23/06 06:08
U.S.
Why_Do_I_Die Offline
Warned
Why_Do_I_Die  Offline
Warned

U.S.
Is GameStudio worth buying , if your interested in game development , then obviously yes. It's a complete game development suite with a pretty powerfull 3d game engine , and it's pretty cheap.

Re: is gamestudio worth buying? [Re: Why_Do_I_Die] #91183
09/23/06 13:19
09/23/06 13:19
H
harleyb12 Offline OP
harleyb12  Offline OP
H

im actually planning to work hard at this and make a game. mabey even publish it

Re: is gamestudio worth buying? [Re: harleyb12] #91184
09/23/06 13:54
09/23/06 13:54
IL,US
FeiHongJr Offline
Expert
FeiHongJr  Offline
Expert

IL,US
Thats great and I wish you the best of luck... My best advice I can give is to have fun... As long as your doing that it will never be a waste.

http://www.freewebs.com/otama_syndicate/index.htm - Each master to his own technique.

Re: is gamestudio worth buying? [Re: harleyb12] #91185
09/23/06 13:58
09/23/06 13:58
Wisconsin USA
FoxHound Offline
Expert
FoxHound  Offline
Expert

Wisconsin USA
It's an excellent tool for a beginner and can go quite far for evern someobody who has been around for awhile.

---------------------
There is no signature here.

QUIT LOOKING FOR ONE!
Re: is gamestudio worth buying? [Re: FoxHound] #91186
09/23/06 14:17
09/23/06 14:17
New England
Rad_Daddy Offline
Rad_Daddy  Offline

New England
Quote:

im actually planning to work hard at this and make a game. mabey even publish it

I am going to tell you know, it will take you several months, probably years, to learn enough to publish a game. If you are willing to work at it it, then that is good. However, dont expect too much within the first few months, especially if this is your first look at game design.

Since you didnt really give me anything as far as criteria or expectations, it is a good engine all around. It handels both indoor and outdoor levels nicely, and is indeed good for the beginner designer, because it is a package of all the major tools you will need to get started, aside from perhaps photoshop.

However, it has its downfalls. It is not as fast as commercial engines, but indie engines rarely are. Also, if you buy the standard edition, you are fairly limited; you can see all of the specs on the gamestudio website.

For publishing, you can do this with any version. However, unless you buy pro (800$ i think), you cant compress your files into one executable file. This means anyone can open, modify, and rebuild your game. However, there are ways to get around this. There are 3rd party compressors, and you can scramble your code so that it is extreamly hard to read.

Also, if you buy the standard edition, you must display a small wattermark, A6, in one of the corners throughout the game.

Hope this helps,
Raddaddy

"Read not to contradict and confute, nor to find talk and discourse, but to weigh and consider." Sir Francis Bacon www.deckscapedesign.com
Re: is gamestudio worth buying? [Re: Rad_Daddy] #91187
09/23/06 14:34
09/23/06 14:34
IL,US
FeiHongJr Offline
Expert
FeiHongJr  Offline
Expert

IL,US
Quote:

Also, if you buy the standard edition, you must display a small wattermark, A6, in one of the corners throughout the game.

This is true. I had used standard for the first year or so. The watermark isnt very big but is an eye sore. (I really think conitec should change it)

Id go with at least extra... its not much more. Alot of the perks commercial has can be worked around.. and well 899 dollars for pro is just insane unless you know for sure youll be making money back.

extra doesnt have bones animation but if you can use blender you can easily rig and animate your models there and export them to vertex animation... as Im sure you can do in other modeling packages too.

You are missing shaders as well but if you get to a point where you think your game might be going commercial you can allways update and add all the bells and whistles later.

However in defense of standard its a very good place to begin learning and again you can allways update if you decide your going to stick with it. There is a slight price increase updating from standard to commercial but its only like 10 dollars more then if you bought com up front.

Re: is gamestudio worth buying? [Re: FeiHongJr] #91188
09/25/06 01:19
09/25/06 01:19
Nebraska, USA
S
Stormking Offline
Stormking  Offline
S

Nebraska, USA
One of the big benifits of 3d gamestudio is that fact its packed with good tools and is quite versitle when it comes to the genre of game you wish to design. I have had my standard edition for 1 1/2 years or so and I have began and then scrapped 4 or 5 games now. The great thing tho is that I have this awsome authoring tool anytime at my disposal. I have great faith in the engine and now with the pre-made scripts, it cuts creation time down alot.

Some time I may get there with a game I'm content with but to answer your question, Its well worth the investment.

I hope this helps.

A mind is a place, in and of itself, that can make a hell of heaven, and a heaven of hell.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de