by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (alibaba, vicknick), 1,379 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Newbie questions about Gamestudio A6 #93202
10/05/06 17:29
10/05/06 17:29
NC, USA
Noob65 Offline OP
Noob65  Offline OP

NC, USA
1. Can I create a multiplayer on-line game with this software?
2. Can I render life like characters with it?
3. Is there any restrictions to the details of a character?
4. Do I need any other softwares to create shadings, characters like Maya?
5. Is there any limits on how to control the movements of a character. In other words is it possible to control pretty much any body part..like for example lift left arm?

I appreciate any input from anyone. I have this idea in my head and I've never done any programming of any kind so it's very hard to figure out where to start.

Thanks a bunch

Noob65

Re: Newbie questions about Gamestudio A6 [Re: Noob65] #93203
10/05/06 18:59
10/05/06 18:59
Nashua New Hampshire
anonymous_alcoho Offline
Senior Developer
anonymous_alcoho  Offline
Senior Developer

Nashua New Hampshire
1. While you can make multiplayer, you cannot make in-browser games. Maybe there is a dll somewhere. idk
2. No, this is not a modeling program and MED isn't good enough.
3. There are restrictions to the detail. A model can only have so many polygons before it begans to ruin the framerate. Likewise, there can only be so many models before the framerate begans to drop. The more detail, the harder the engine has to work, the slower the game performs.
4. Yes, you will need a good modeling program at the very least to go along with Gamestudio. I use gameSpace, but to each his own. Shaders can be used by 3rd party or programmed via c-script.
5. There are no limits to controlling various body parts. You either make all body parts separately and animate them seperately and use a script to attach them or you animate the whole model, but that would be many animations.

Start slowly. When you program, take it step by step. For example, if I want to make the character walk, I make him move first. Once i've got that down, I add collision detection. I add key commands. I then add animations. And I keep building up until I have my final product.

Also, do tutorials and experiment. Best way to learn.

"Oh no, it's true! I'm a love magnet!" Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes My name's Anonymous_Alcoholic.
Re: Newbie questions about Gamestudio A6 [Re: anonymous_alcoho] #93204
10/05/06 19:43
10/05/06 19:43
NC, USA
Noob65 Offline OP
Noob65  Offline OP

NC, USA
Thanks for your answers. A couple of follow up questions if you don't mind.
1. Multiplayer game feature is only server based? Would be ok I guess.
2. Gamestudio is not good for character rendering? Or it's just not capable?
3. But if the game map is fairly small more details can be added, right? Or am I wrong in my thinking?
4. Using 3rd party software sounds complicated and likely to create conflicts.
5. Would you recommed using drop down menues to control motion or keyboard/mouse?

Again, thanks a bunch.

Noob65

P.S. how experienced are you in programming?

Re: Newbie questions about Gamestudio A6 [Re: Noob65] #93205
10/05/06 22:00
10/05/06 22:00
S
Shaba1 Offline
Shaba1  Offline
S

I do not think you can make multiplayer games without the Commercial or Professional versions. At least from what I can see on the version comparison chart

Re: Newbie questions about Gamestudio A6 [Re: Shaba1] #93206
10/05/06 22:12
10/05/06 22:12
New England
Rad_Daddy Offline
Rad_Daddy  Offline

New England
What quality level are you going for. For inde game designers, in my opinion, 3DGS is perfect. It is, more or less, all inclusive. The model editor, is fairly basic, but gets the job done nicely. C-script is easy to get the hang of, yet there is always something to learn.

I have heard, from this forum, that multiplayer games are troublesome with GS. LAN games should not be extreamly difficult, but internet games, with servers, can get tricky.

Using 3d party software is not as sketchy as it sounds. There are import programs for most major formats, some are in the model editor itself. I would actually suggest 3d party software, if you are really going for a high quality game.

The game can be, more or less, as high of quality as you want. You just need to pick a target machine, and design around its specs. You will not be able to run a very poly-intense game on a 733Mhz P3. However, if your target is a 2.4 Ghz P4 with 1GB ram, you can get pretty creative. The limit is your skil and creativity, and maybe the market if you are designing to sell.

Regards,
Raddaddy

"Read not to contradict and confute, nor to find talk and discourse, but to weigh and consider." Sir Francis Bacon www.deckscapedesign.com
Re: Newbie questions about Gamestudio A6 [Re: Shaba1] #93207
10/05/06 22:29
10/05/06 22:29
Ukraine
Lion_Ts Offline
Serious User
Lion_Ts  Offline
Serious User

Ukraine
1. yes
2. photorealistic characters isn't possible in any realtime game engine for now. look in 'showcase' and 'let's rock A6' for screenshots of current projects.
3. search over the forum and look into the WIKI for 'fps optimizing' or alike.
4. What conficts? In mind?
5. Depends on your project type, etc.

Re: Newbie questions about Gamestudio A6 [Re: Rad_Daddy] #93208
10/05/06 22:47
10/05/06 22:47
US
G
Grimber Offline
Expert
Grimber  Offline
Expert
G

US
1. yes you can but don;t expect to do so right away or that it to be easy. Don;t expect to find step by step how to on this either. multiplayer is one of these that some try but most give up on it because of complexity and lack of teamwork

2. this is a game engine, not an animation studio package system. model animation is just one part of the overall system. the more you expect from one aspect, the more you have to sacrific on others to maintain balance
so, yes it scapable, but mabey not to the point some people expect ( your not going to make an animated movie complex level character in a game, not even game consoles can do that)

3. again its about balance. the more into the a single model you go, the more you have to sacrifce elsewhere ( but there is a maximum limit that is based on hardware and windows operating system)

4. depends, on you. good paint program is helpful. everything else is up to you if you THINK you need them or not. also then its your responsability about compatability issues or not.

5. not realy. depends on what you have in mind and just how much work your willing to put into it

3DGS is used by many people/companies for things OTHER than games, its not a matter of what it can do based on preconcived ideas, but what you put into it. Expectations without unbiased examination usualy end up being grumbles and disapoitments later on.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. no Multiplayer can be server, LAN, for 'traditional multiplayer'. single system multiplayer (turnbased or split screen ) is easily doable as well)

2. again, its in the details/complexity and what you put into it is your limitations

3. game maps/levels arn't models ( though can be made of them). again size is based on just how complicated you make things ( what LOOKS complex in a game usualy isn't so). Technicaly, there is no level size limits, realisticly it depends again on what you do IN the level, your design, construction visual effects, models(characters and static objects)... again balance is teh key

4. not always. meny people using 3DGS use many varied 3rd party applications. some have no issues, while others you see are struggling often. usualt those that struggle are just lacking proper information or steps on conversions, importing/exporting for compatability. SOme things the engine just is not ment to do. such as WEB based browser play, its not a java engine

5. that again is entirely up to you. you can find many game theory articals just on user interfacing around the web and in books. its realy dependent on the what your making and the point of view the player has to the game enviroment and what would be the most intuitive and natrual for control/interfacing

Re: Newbie questions about Gamestudio A6 [Re: Grimber] #93209
10/06/06 12:55
10/06/06 12:55
NC, USA
Noob65 Offline OP
Noob65  Offline OP

NC, USA
Thanks for all the replies, I think I got some clue on what's involved now. Does anyone know of any good software for creating in-browser based games?

Again thanks to you all for the insighful information.

Noob65

Re: Newbie questions about Gamestudio A6 [Re: Noob65] #93210
10/06/06 13:40
10/06/06 13:40
NC, USA
Noob65 Offline OP
Noob65  Offline OP

NC, USA
Oh, I forgot to ask the key question.

What is the fastest way to learn programming an advanced multiplayer on-line game that is server based? Something that's similar to 'Americas Army', but it's not a shooter game.

I realize it takes a team to build something that big, but in a smaller version to start.

I liked the screenshots made with Gamestudio, some looked really realistic.

Thanks again,

Noob65

Re: Newbie questions about Gamestudio A6 [Re: Noob65] #93211
10/06/06 14:00
10/06/06 14:00
U.S.
Why_Do_I_Die Offline
Warned
Why_Do_I_Die  Offline
Warned

U.S.
If you wanna learn programming learn programming , you ever heard of C++ ?
As for gamestudio makign life like characters and the like , GameStudio is NOT the Unreal 3 Engine , or the Offset Engine , gamestudio costs $49 - $899 (depending on the version you buy) not $500,000. Be more realistic about what you expect to get for your money. Now , as incredible as this may sound , theres actually a plugin for gamestudio called Sphere , which allows you to make games that look pretty much as good as the Xbox360 games , and Its also very cheap , only $30 if I remember correctly , you should check it out if your looking to make a top of the line game. About the multiplayer coding , I cant help you with that one , but u should be able to get plenty of info on the subject if you search on it , though a small version of a multiplayer game like americas army you can do with the gamestudio built in multiplayer , dont know about a big and comlpex system though.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de