by degenerate_762. 04/30/24 23:23
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (Ayumi, 7th_zorro, 1 invisible), 1,060 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: What is C-script capible of? [Re: anonymous_alcoho] #95832
10/28/06 08:20
10/28/06 08:20
A
AlbertoT Offline
Serious User
AlbertoT  Offline
Serious User
A

One of the the software engineering milestone is :
you can code any type of software, not only game , I mean , just using the if ..than statement
Why c++ or other sophisticated programming languages then ?
Just to make your life easier in case of large projects ( not to mention data protection or other feature of course..)

In conclusion

Can you make any kind of game in 3dgs ?

Yes

Is it easy to make a large project using c-script ?

No

Re: What is C-script capible of? [Re: AlbertoT] #95833
10/28/06 16:15
10/28/06 16:15
Nashua New Hampshire
anonymous_alcoho Offline
Senior Developer
anonymous_alcoho  Offline
Senior Developer

Nashua New Hampshire
C++ has definate advantages over C-Script. Its faster, and there are multiple ways of doing the same thing (there is probably more, but I wouldn't know what exactly). The disadvantage is the complexity. C++ is hard to learn on your own (at least it was for me) and there is a lot to it. C-Script can be self-taught within a few years. After four years of just doing this as a hobby I'm already at an intermediate stage where I can do quite abit on my own.

So my point goes along with what AlbertoT said. Any large game is possible, it will just take more work and more learning to do it because it will either require you to understand C++ or be able to use C-Script in complicated and creative ways.

I don't know C++ very well. The most I can do is simple math with cout << and cin >>. Not knowing C++ leaves me at a clear disadvantage because I find myself having to work my way around C-Script's deficiencies. As soon as it opens up as an elective for my college classes, I'm taking C++. my advice is to learn both languages so you can utilize 3dgs to its highest potential.

Not to mention that if you know C-Script, you will have an understanding of the syntax of C++, or if you know C++, you'll understand the syntax of C-Script. Both languages are very different, but the way they are set up is quite similar. they both use semi-colons (I hate those things ), they both us +=, -=, *=, /= operators, both use functions, and so on, so knowing one language will help with the other.

A side note on semi-colons: If you ever use ActionScript or JavaScript, use semicolons. They aren't required, but its good practice to get use to adding the damn things in. (I hate those things! )

"Oh no, it's true! I'm a love magnet!" Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes My name's Anonymous_Alcoholic.
Re: What is C-script capible of? [Re: anonymous_alcoho] #95834
10/28/06 16:53
10/28/06 16:53
A
AlbertoT Offline
Serious User
AlbertoT  Offline
Serious User
A

Just to complete my opinion
C++ is a multipurpose programming language while 3dgs is a game oriented one.
Some 3dgs users ask for an OO programming language but the entity \ action 3dgs based system is actually a basic OOP
Personally I would like to have a more sophisticated language than c-script, I hope C-lite is coming soon , however I also beleive that c-script can meet 90 % of an Indie developer's needs
Download the "wastland " demo by Deamocles , it is written 100% in c-script

Re: What is C-script capible of? [Re: AlbertoT] #95835
10/28/06 16:57
10/28/06 16:57
Nashua New Hampshire
anonymous_alcoho Offline
Senior Developer
anonymous_alcoho  Offline
Senior Developer

Nashua New Hampshire
In terms of Lite-C, C-Script and C++, I think A7 should support all three. C-Script for noobies to learn from, Lite-C for anyone who want something more complex, but not to the level that C++ is and C++ for really professional projects that can't be handled by C-Script or Lite-C.

Just MHO

"Oh no, it's true! I'm a love magnet!" Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes My name's Anonymous_Alcoholic.
Re: What is C-script capible of? [Re: anonymous_alcoho] #95836
10/28/06 17:34
10/28/06 17:34
A
AlbertoT Offline
Serious User
AlbertoT  Offline
Serious User
A

I hope you are right

Re: What is C-script capible of? [Re: AlbertoT] #95837
11/07/06 21:36
11/07/06 21:36
S
swbluto Offline
swbluto  Offline
S

The only problem with this "ooP"(Object-Oriented Programming) aspect of 3dgs, is that you can't just arbitrarily declare data members, instead you're forced into the skills and flags regime which are limited in number(skills are at 100 while flags are at ... 10 or 20? Not quite a lot.); That, my friend, can be a hassle with relatively complex games. And you also have to use DEFINES with those skills if you want a legible name; With c++, you'd just declare...

Struct Enemy
{
int health = 100;
int damage = 5;
}

Enemy Enemy_One;

And then simply do...

Enemy_one.health -= Enemy_one.damage.

You could also do ARRAYS of structures which allows you to simply scroll through the different members(In this case enemies), and quickly and efficiently handle and manipulate data(in this case, the enemy's health.). In C-script, you have handle that one at a time, copy and pasting it with each action(Or use a function which is C++ -like.).

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de