by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (M_D), 1,501 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Don't remember if I asked this before #97010
11/01/06 16:55
11/01/06 16:55
NC, USA
Noob65 Offline OP
Noob65  Offline OP

NC, USA
Sorry guys,

I've asked so many questions on this forum I don't even rember if I asked this one.

I consider 3D Max 9 for modelling because of the dynamics and other high end features. The question is will it work in GS A6Pro when a model is transfered? Will the features such as these work?
"Dynamics
Create effects through the dynamic interaction of geometry, including collisions between rigid and soft bodies

The integrated reactor plug-in, based on the Havok 3.2 solver, lets you create a full range of rigid and soft-body dynamics simulations, and is compatible with the 3ds Max Space Warp modifiers.
Use a host of constraints to create intricate and accurate physical relationships between objects.
Simple constraints, such as springs and dashpots, require little computation and create realistic dynamic connections between two objects.
Cooperative constraints, such as hinge, car wheel, point-to-point, and rag-doll, although more computationally intensive, enable you to generate more-complex and accurate multiobject simulations.
A real-time simulation window facilitates trial-and-error iteration.
Simulation results are written into 3ds Max PRS keys and can be optionally added to list controllers or Biped layers so as to not overwrite existing animation.
Rigid-Body Dynamics (reactor)

Realistic, high-speed simulations of multiple rigid objects are easy to set up and iterate upon using reactor object collections.
Detailed control over mass, friction, and elasticity lets you determine each object’s physical characteristics.

Soft-Body Dynamics (reactor)

Introduce deformable objects and surfaces to interact with rigid bodies and to add secondary motion effects, such as clothing, jiggling fat, and floppy ears."

I figure I need to create characters with another software, Maya seems to be a natural choice.

So the key is that all the high end features and quality of the models will be working and reflected during game play. I assume that some of these features are imbedded in a model or character with a script or code to work? Will GSA6 recognize them?

Would appreciate some answers from Conitec in addition to all you Forum people. This Forum is really a great community with a bunch of knowledgable individuals.

Thanks,

Noob65

Re: Don't remember if I asked this before [Re: Noob65] #97011
11/02/06 03:09
11/02/06 03:09
Ukraine
Lion_Ts Offline
Serious User
Lion_Ts  Offline
Serious User

Ukraine

there is nothing to do with 3dmax's plugins in 3dgs right now. (hint: there are other engines on the market, that supports deeper integration with 3dmax. But they are more expencive than 3dgs).
3dgs needs model with vertex or bone animation and skin(s) and UV mapping. Nothing more.
You can play with model as you want in 3dmax (reactors, and so on), but you have to export at end simple model as listed above.

Re: Don't remember if I asked this before [Re: Lion_Ts] #97012
11/02/06 13:27
11/02/06 13:27
NC, USA
Noob65 Offline OP
Noob65  Offline OP

NC, USA
thanks Lion,

Well that kind of sucks, was hoping to use the nice features in 3DS Max. What engine support these features?

Noob65

Re: Don't remember if I asked this before [Re: Lion_Ts] #97013
11/02/06 16:08
11/02/06 16:08
NC, USA
Noob65 Offline OP
Noob65  Offline OP

NC, USA
Hi Lion,

found this in the manual;
Import a model in 3DS file format, including the textures and materials. The file names of external textures must not be longer than 15 characters.

The material they are referring to, what is that?

Noob65

Re: Don't remember if I asked this before [Re: Noob65] #97014
11/02/06 16:30
11/02/06 16:30
Portugal
demiGod Offline
User
demiGod  Offline
User

Portugal
That are materials like referred in 3dgs manual materials section. About 3ds max and 3dgs integration was so many times answered on this forums, search for "3ds to mdl" or the like.

Like Lion_Ts said, in the final you need to export the mesh, animation and texture with UV map. If you use the plugins that are listed in downloads page to export 3ds to mdl, take care because its only possible to export standard materials made in 3ds max, and the texture bitmap must be loaded as diffuse map only.
Hope it helps.

Re: Don't remember if I asked this before [Re: demiGod] #97015
11/02/06 16:36
11/02/06 16:36
NC, USA
Noob65 Offline OP
Noob65  Offline OP

NC, USA
thanks Demigold,

It helps, but if I load the texture bitmap as diffuse map only does it mean I lose the special features such as jiggling fat created in Max?

Sorry for sounding dumb, but I've never done this before...

Noob65

Re: Don't remember if I asked this before [Re: Noob65] #97016
11/02/06 17:03
11/02/06 17:03
Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada
Paul_L_Ming Offline
User
Paul_L_Ming  Offline
User

Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada
Hiya.

Well, unless you are fantastically rich, MAX 9 will set you back something like $3500.00...and with the questions you are asking, can I assume that you have almost no experience with 3D? If so, go try a more affordable software package first. There are a few decent free ones out there (Wings3D and Blender come to mind), but if you don't mind spending a few bucks, Softimage|XSI 5 Foundation is a steal!

As to your question(s), here's a good, general way of thinking about 3d-package-to-game-engine pipeline: All the stuff you read that Program X can do...*none* of it can be brought into GameEngine X. Ok, now that that's said, you can happily ignore it as an absolute. That is, some packages may support some aspects of some 3d packages. As far as 3DGS is concerned...no. *Almost* Nothing will import. Not dynamics. Not springs. Not particles. Not bones. Not hard/soft bodies. Not cloth. Not proceedural textures. Not multi-textures. Not...etc...get my point? What will import: non-animated models with a UV map and SINGLE texture. What will import with appropriate plug-ins: animated models via a series of .3ds models that are then 'stitched' together in MED to get your vertex animated.

In short, read up on what MED can import and how. Learn what it can do and what you need to do to 'import'. Then you can go ahead and look at 3d packages and see what they can do for you natively, and if there are any plugins for it to help you.

Good luck at any rate!

^_^

"We've got a blind date with destiny...and it looks like she's ordered the lobster."

-- The Shoveler

A7 Commercial (on Windows 7, 64-bit)
Re: Don't remember if I asked this before [Re: Paul_L_Ming] #97017
11/02/06 17:54
11/02/06 17:54
NC, USA
Noob65 Offline OP
Noob65  Offline OP

NC, USA
Thanks Paul,

you pretty much answered all my questions. I said this before, I don't mind spending the money it takes to get it done as long as I know it's going to work. Well I'm not willing to spend 350K on an engine though. From what you said I gather A6 is great if you don't want to use other vendors program to import better models.

Thanks for the tip of the other engine.
Is there any engine that uses C-script other than A6, that can support advanced features such as those of MAX and Maya (dynamics)? My game idea is built around a realistic map so it's of outmost importance such features are working. Plus I'm a total novice when it comes to programming so ease of use is important too.

Noob65

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de