by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (AndrewAMD, alibaba), 1,184 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
publishing and copy protection (Hexalock) #99194
11/19/06 03:53
11/19/06 03:53
Wisconsin
TKN Offline OP
TKN  Offline OP

Wisconsin
Hi - I've gotten to the point where I want to copy-protect my published game. The CD duplication service we plan to use provides copy protection from Hexalock (hexalock.com). I've run into the following problem: Hexalock's Autolock Wizard modifies the published game .exe so that it looks for the original CD in the CD drive. The published game .exe has the same file size before and after Hexalock has modified it, BUT I can see that the unprotected .exe has a different MD5 checksum than the copy protected .exe. When I run the copy-protected .exe I see the startup screen then almost immediately get error E356. I presume this is because it detects that it has been modified.

I checked and the problem is neither a missing file nor any other modified file, because if I overwrite the copy-protected .exe with an unprotected .exe and run it out of the same folder, everything works fine.

Is there a way to disable this modification-protection feature in published game .exe's?

If not, can you recommend a copy protection scheme that is equivalent to Hexalock, ie. it requires the original CD to be in the drive? Can you recommend any other decent copy protection scheme?

Thanks for any help...

--Kim

Re: publishing and copy protection (Hexalock) [Re: TKN] #99195
11/19/06 06:04
11/19/06 06:04
Wisconsin
TKN Offline OP
TKN  Offline OP

Wisconsin
To disable the modification-protection (anti-tamper) feature, I can use the command line flag -nc, eg.

mypublishedmodel.exe -nc

and it works beautifully. (This is available only in the Professional version I think). I saw a reference to this in another forum posting, and looked up the Command Line arguments in the WED Help.

Moderated by  old_bill, Tobias 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de