Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
AlpacaZorroPlugin v1.3.0 Released
by kzhao. 05/20/24 20:05
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (TedMar, VoroneTZ), 1,317 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Any guidence on the next phase of learning? #106853
01/14/07 13:49
01/14/07 13:49
T
Tinv Offline OP
Tinv  Offline OP
T

Ok, so, for my first organic model she came out suprisingly well, I'm quite proud of her. I've practiced long and hard and feel I can reproduce her, or something along her lines, relativly quickly. I know shes far from perfect and am not putting her up here for critiques, I'm putting her up here so you know where I am at ability wise. As I like to say, "At the moment I am dead smack in the middle of average". So now I am moving on to my next phase of learning: Texturing.

Now I think I understand the basics of getting color on the model. I went out and got GIMP, a very nice piece of software, and have an understanding of layers. The road block I seem to be hitting everywhere is this:

Everyone talks about Normal Maps and Shading, but there is really nothing out there on how to actually apply these to the model. I understand that Normal Maps are alot like bump mapping, correct me if I am wrong here please, and Bump maps are used in the gimp file that you paint to create a "bump" effect. which when you are done painting you then re apply that "texture" on the model after using the uv editor. (I've done this on a very basic level just to see the steps involved)

Now the question I have is:

I've created an awesome normal Map from a high Poly model. Do I now use that as a bump map under all my other layers to create a "relief"?

Is there anything else that I need, or should, do with GIMP other than paint my layers and use the Normal Map?

Does anyone else have any pointers?

Thanks for any input.
Tinv

Re: Any guidence on the next phase of learning? [Re: Tinv] #106854
01/14/07 22:45
01/14/07 22:45
WA, Australia
J
JibbSmart Offline
Expert
JibbSmart  Offline
Expert
J

WA, Australia
that's some nice work there, especially for ur first organic model!

normal maps are applied as a seperate skin -- do not use them in the "colour" texture. a normal map shader will calculate extra smooth and realistic lighting based on the normal map, so it must be seperate. i believe it has to use the same UV's as the colour map, but i only have extra edition, so i cannot use shaders and haven't looked into this. i'm sure someone else will be able to help you out more. if you dont get any more helpful responses, ask about a normal map shader in the shader forum.

julz

Formerly known as JulzMighty.
I made KarBOOM!
Re: Any guidence on the next phase of learning? [Re: JibbSmart] #106855
01/15/07 08:53
01/15/07 08:53
Netherlands
bstudio Offline
User
bstudio  Offline
User

Netherlands
ok, as far as first organic models come and go this one is pretty darn good. but try to create a better polyflow, that way it will look nicer both outside a game and it will give a better feel of animation in the game. But as i said: not too shabby for your first model

BASIC programmers never die, they GOSUB and don't RETURN.

Moderated by  HeelX, rvL_eXile 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de