Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
AlpacaZorroPlugin v1.3.0 Released
by kzhao. 05/20/24 20:05
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (AndrewAMD, TedMar, Ayumi), 1,374 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Question about multiplayer #7184
10/07/01 06:32
10/07/01 06:32

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I own the commerzial version of a5... so the multiplayer mode is very new to me.

I looked a little bit at it and there appeared a question:

is it able to let the player make a server, connect to an existing sever or play alone without restarting the engine with other parameters? the player should be able to choose this in the main menu of the game, not with setting different start parameters....

if you know AOE for example... in the menu you can choose between "single player", "Join existing multiplayer game" and "Create new multiplayer game"... I don't know, if I understood something wrong with the multiplayer stuff, but it seems to me, that something like that isn't able to do with a5. you always have to know, if you want to be a server, a client, or a single player at the start of the engine.... that's not good.

ps.: I am a little bit confused since I am able to use the multiplayer mode

greetings knex

Re: Question about multiplayer #7185
10/07/01 07:32
10/07/01 07:32
Outarville, France
al1 Offline
Expert
al1  Offline
Expert

Outarville, France
I am going to try to answer you with my bad English .

I realized a workshop in 3 parts for the mode multiplayer. Both first parts are ended for the month by aout and are at Conitec for check and translation.

The first part is technical and resumes all the possible connections (nullmodem, modem, ipx and tcp).
The second part consists of the creation of a game of trick tap toe (game in the tour for 2 players).

The third part, a little more difficult to implement, will be a shooter for 4 players. I advanced well and it should be ended quickly.

All this to say that I a little studied the mode multi-player and that I can bring you some answers.

There are not other solutions that to launch the mode multi-player with -sv and/or -cl in the line of command.
I admit that it has a small puzzling side but one makes there very fast.
But this has nothing of exceptional. If you look at the example Maze 3d supplies with the SDK directx8 of Microsoft, there is a program to launch on the machine server and another program to launch on the machine client.
You can on the other hand manage in the starting up, a picture of wait of connection of the players with possibility of choosing its colour, accepting or refusing a player, and starting the game when you have your number of players

Re: Question about multiplayer #7186
10/07/01 18:31
10/07/01 18:31

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

workshops are always good... thanks for them!

so I can forget my idea, making a multiplayer game where you can choose a server you want to connect out of a list in the main menu (like in UT). a normal multiplayer game isn't in multiplayer mode, when you are in the menu... it switches to multiplayer mode, when you join the level... or am I wrong? i can't belive that a5 can't do that... so you never can make a 'professional looking' multiplayer game with a5

greetings knex

Re: Question about multiplayer #7187
10/08/01 07:38
10/08/01 07:38

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

make a seperate program... make a seperate program that is a menu and have it run the client/server programs... and just because it isnt in a5 doesnt mean it wont be in a6...

Re: Question about multiplayer #7188
10/08/01 03:34
10/08/01 03:34

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

al1:

This is great news, I want to learn more about developing internet games. For my website it would be very cool for visitors play a online game!

Nemo

Re: Question about multiplayer #7189
10/08/01 04:13
10/08/01 04:13

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Knex, no that is not the case. You need to scan the server ports in a .dll and create a list of your servers. Or have what we have a root server that does that and your client always connect to ours.

It is not impossible to do.

As for running the game in single, multi or along from a menu, this can be acheived with a front loader menu.

Have the front end menu load up with just what you want them to do. Join a world, create a new one or play alone. Then have a5 run the correct script.

Hope this helps.

Also your way off about not being able to make a professioal A5 multi-player game. We are actually doing it. Just because a feature is not exact nothing stops you from producing the exact effect you want in a .dll.

Re: Question about multiplayer #7190
10/08/01 04:35
10/08/01 04:35

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

so something like I want would be possible in a dll... that would be great....

I don't have the SDK... but I'm learning C++ in school... so maybe I buy it in some time.

thx for your answers!

greetings knex

Moderated by  HeelX, Spirit 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de