Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Ayumi, 1 invisible), 584 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
First Game #107171
01/16/07 22:24
01/16/07 22:24
C
Camelmiester Offline OP
Camelmiester  Offline OP
C

I have a special talent of getting in over my head and then being forced to give up. I recently got 3D Gamestudio and I am learning basic C-script (i'm experimenting with templates until i've mastered C.) I've been brainstorming tons of games from a large world 3rd person adventure (like Zelda: Ocaina of Time) to a detailed RTS, to a Complex 1st person shooter that isn't anything like i've heard of before. I need advice on two things. First, what are the limits of this engine and what can I do with it. Second, I really don't want to follow the advice "start small. I hate that more than anything. I want my first game to stand out. But I don't know what "getting in over my head" is for a beginner in this engine. Advice would be great. Thanks everybody.

P.S. No "noob" crap please. I hate that.

Re: First Game [Re: Camelmiester] #107172
01/17/07 00:12
01/17/07 00:12
Canada, Nova Scotia
Damarus Offline
Damarus  Offline

Canada, Nova Scotia
well first what version do u have? Second even if u dont want to hear u should start small if u start u gonna fail. When you want to start big it all gets overwhelming eventually i myself are working with my brother for a few years with gamestudio we had lots of ideas for games which were big projects but we never started them and never could get anything done because the project was too big for us so recently we just started a samll acarde game which is not much of work and still can be fun to play and learn how things work. And your first doesnt need to stand out ours wont as well. So again my advice is to start something like a shooter or pacman clone or something in that range. Then you gonna succeed. And u can learn alot from small games even if u dont think u can.

cheers

Damarus

Re: First Game [Re: Damarus] #107173
01/17/07 00:18
01/17/07 00:18
C
Camelmiester Offline OP
Camelmiester  Offline OP
C

I have A6 Extra. Thanks for the Advice Damarus, I guess a quick easy intro to the system would be nice. I was kind of thinking about that. But, i guess what I mean is, I need an idea for a game to make after I learn the basics that isn't to complicated but is big enough to stand out. Something good for a beginner. Thanks again.

Re: First Game [Re: Camelmiester] #107174
01/17/07 00:28
01/17/07 00:28
Canada, Nova Scotia
Damarus Offline
Damarus  Offline

Canada, Nova Scotia
here is a feature list of the extra version: http://www.conitec.net/english/gstudio/3dgs2.htm . But u cant use shader in the extra version (they would be too hard to program anyways). Try to start with a shooter it can stand out if it has great gameplay, graphics, ki, and so on. My advice for this is to start makeing a level put two players in and two guns and use the shooter template script for the movement and shooting and the enemy. Then look through those templates and see how it works and maybe start adding stuff to that script and to ur level and models to make it interesting and start building on that. It is important that u have a good foundation and then work your way up. A shooter is in my eyes the simplest and best way to start learning 3dgs and work through every tutorial that u can find they help a lot trust me. If u have any more questions just ask that is what the community is here for.

cheers

Damarus

P.s. there are very good tutorials at the aum magazines and the au resources start there to search.

Re: First Game [Re: Damarus] #107175
01/17/07 01:07
01/17/07 01:07
C
Camelmiester Offline OP
Camelmiester  Offline OP
C

thanks! I can't wait to start a game

Re: First Game [Re: Camelmiester] #107176
01/17/07 01:53
01/17/07 01:53
New England
Jay_Watergate Offline
Jay_Watergate  Offline

New England
Something that I have tried in the past... rather than building two whole seperate games, start on the project you want, but severely compartmentalize it. For example, say you want to build the zelda-style game you are talking about. Pick an ending point (which may be harder for you, because those types of games dont really haev defined levels) and make that your first project. After you have reached that ending point, and are happy with what you have, move on.

A word of warning though: it is very easy to get overwhelmed if you dont focus only on your goal. You can start thinking of the big picture, which is bad, and just want to quit when progress is slow. However, for the well organized and tunnelvision-gifted, it works nicely, because not only do you learn with a smaller project, but you are already that much closer to your larger project.

Anyways, just a thought,
Jay Watergate

"What is written in stone will remain until dust, but not a year longer." Visit www.deckscapedesign.com to see current design work on our local skatepark.

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de