by 11honza11. 04/30/24 08:16
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (AndrewAMD), 801 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 5
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: 3D Cube MMORPG [Re: Inestical] #112160
02/21/07 13:02
02/21/07 13:02
Netherlands
bstudio Offline
User
bstudio  Offline
User

Netherlands
Indeed, having a nice concept is one thing, but acting like a professional is another. A job salary of 100,000 dollars is in no way reasonable even for a professional company like blizzard. Seeking help for something is one thing, but saying that your concept is so awesome that you will make profits of millions just after the release of your puzzle game is just ridicules.

BASIC programmers never die, they GOSUB and don't RETURN.
Re: 3D Cube MMORPG [Re: bstudio] #112161
02/21/07 19:44
02/21/07 19:44
Beverly, Massachusetts
Rhuarc Offline
Expert
Rhuarc  Offline
Expert

Beverly, Massachusetts
Here are my flat out suggestions here:

• Your website is on a free host, and has a pretty eyesore layout. The organization of information makes no sense, and is difficult to get through. If you were wise, you would consolidate everything into a solid design document. I recommend picking up the book Game Architecture and Design and giving it a good read. It will outline a lot of very important concepts in design documentation and asset management. At the very least, try to find some public design documents to view as samples.
  • You are putting your idea online, which is a terrible medium to try and copyright- it's the hardest thing to securely fight in a copyright war with. Even if it is copyrighted, that doesn't prevent people from adapting the idea enough to make it their own. You also cannot prove, even if it does "resemble" your idea, that they stole your idea as long as theirs is believably possible to have been developed on their own- if you idea is worth as much as you think it is, it would be worth it to someone else to put the work into adapting it and stealing it safely from your copyright.

My recommendation is to only place basic introductory information about the project online. NOT the core details. Then, list that if someone is interested, you can provide more information, including a design document, upon them signing a Non-Disclosure Contract. There are several reasons for this, besides the prior reasons stated in 1&2:
1. If they see you throwing your idea online, they will see the risk, even if you don't and will not want to trust their money with you.
2. If you have them sign an NDA, you are showing them that you value confidentiality and that they will be safe to communicate confidential information with you.
3. Honestly... doing it the way you are right now, by common industry practice, is TERRIBLY unprofessional. This is coming from someone who has been in this industry for 10 years.

• MMORPGs are generally developed by not just huge teams. That's a given, and honestly not what you should be focusing on. While there are huge numbers working on an MMORPG, more important is EXPERIENCE. When a company decides to make an MMORPG, they choose someone to design the project that has a large amount of experience in the game development industry because they know what will and won't work. Someone with next to no experience in the industry may have a good idea, but the chances of that actually turning into something are less than nil.

LASTLY:
TAKE ADVICE AND LISTEN. If you just keep saying that people are misunderstanding your concept and that is worth millions, you are a fool. The ability to take criticism and use it to improve your presentation is crucial, without it, I'd just give up now if I were you. The response you're getting here is the same response you'll get everywhere from people with any knowledge of this industry- so take the criticisms to heart and improve things with them.

I no longer post on these forums, keep in touch with me via:
Linkedin.com
My MSDN blog
Re: 3D Cube MMORPG [Re: xXxGuitar511] #112162
02/21/07 21:19
02/21/07 21:19
Neustadt, Germany
T
TWO Offline

Serious User
TWO  Offline

Serious User
T

Neustadt, Germany
Quote:

I wish you were standing 2 feet away from me so I could piss in your face...

This is not the language we are talking here. Even this thread is lmaorotf, thats just rude.

BTW omg, my mother could make a better website...

Re: 3D Cube MMORPG [Re: TWO] #112163
02/22/07 03:41
02/22/07 03:41
SC, United States
xXxGuitar511 Offline
Expert
xXxGuitar511  Offline
Expert

SC, United States
I was hoping nobody would quote that, because even I thought it was immature and stupid. I didn't mean to be rude, I'm sorry. It's just that you are completely new, and have an impractible idea. You are insulting us all with your arguments. We have all had years of experience in the gaming industry, and we have at least a rough understanding of how things work. We don't mean to put you down, or burn your ideas, but be realistic, and gain some insight and experience before you go boasting how you have the best idea ever, when you really have nothing but an opinion. And you know what they say, "Opinions are like assholes, everybodies got one..."

xXxGuitar511
- Programmer
Re: 3D Cube MMORPG [Re: xXxGuitar511] #112164
02/22/07 05:09
02/22/07 05:09
Neustadt, Germany
T
TWO Offline

Serious User
TWO  Offline

Serious User
T

Neustadt, Germany
You are wellcome But I just read this and thought omg

Re: 3D Cube MMORPG [Re: xXxGuitar511] #112165
02/22/07 05:14
02/22/07 05:14
U.S.
Why_Do_I_Die Offline
Warned
Why_Do_I_Die  Offline
Warned

U.S.
"We have all had years of experience in the gaming industry" LOL . Sure you do , thats one of the stupidest things i've heard in a while. No one here has any industry experience , trying to learn how to make a game on ur spare time doesnt qualify as industry experience , much less years of industry experience. Theres only a handfull of games made with gamestudio and they all suck and look like they were done by children. Guitar511 , can you provide a link to all the commercially succesfull titles you've done while in the industry , or a link to commercial titles you've participated in during all this years you've been in the industry ? In fact , you're prolly more or less on the same spot as magicnxnja. There is ONLY a couple of people here who have actually been a little successful on here with gamestudio , and even those people dont have any industry experience , as they mostly work with strange networks that really have nothing to do with the game industry. So , stop being a fathead and talking like you got some type of AAA development status when no one here does , not even the top ones here , which you arent one of.

Edit: Btw , your years of professionalism really show on your website Guitar , been a while since I see such a complete and well documented site with so many working links. LOL

Last edited by Why_Do_I_Die; 02/22/07 05:18.
Re: 3D Cube MMORPG [Re: Why_Do_I_Die] #112166
02/22/07 06:54
02/22/07 06:54
Bay City, MI
lostclimate Offline
Expert
lostclimate  Offline
Expert

Bay City, MI
@why_do_i_die, actually there are several people who have been in the industry a while maybe not necessarily using 3dgs the whole time, look at rhuarc, i believe his team just got done releasing a game on the xbox, dan silverman has been doing work with 3dgs forever and makes his living off it, not to mention i am currently basing most of my income off of 3dgs and freelance coding at the moment (not to say im great at it or am making a ton of money) so there are in fact many people, even with this very software that have experience in the industry

Re: 3D Cube MMORPG [Re: lostclimate] #112167
02/22/07 07:06
02/22/07 07:06
Chile
A
Andvari Offline
Andvari  Offline
A

Chile
Some months ago i worked for Vivendi Universal making a couple of models for the IGN's "Xbox360 Live Arcade Game of the Year" title Assault Heroes

And i was hired there for the experience i gained working as a freelancer making models for the 3DGS community =)

Need custom 3d modelling, rigging or animations? check my portfolio at http://www.lowpolyarts.com
Re: 3D Cube MMORPG [Re: Andvari] #112168
02/22/07 07:35
02/22/07 07:35
Finland
Inestical Offline
Rabbit Developer
Inestical  Offline
Rabbit Developer

Finland
Exactly.

Experience, skill and the will to get new challenges is always important.

"Yesterday was once today's tomorrow."
Re: 3D Cube MMORPG [Re: Andvari] #112169
02/22/07 08:00
02/22/07 08:00
New Brunswick, Canada
Ayrus Offline
Serious User
Ayrus  Offline
Serious User

New Brunswick, Canada
Also, the dev industry isn't just programmers, level designers, modellers and the like. It is also beta testers, publishers, business execs, pr, and people who you don't know what it is they actually do. Myself, I was around in the Quake2 modding era and have beta-tested for Atari previously (Most recently was 2004 - Axis and Allies RTS... havn't been an active tester since really).

Anyways, to get myself back onto the topic, your best bet is to follow the advice givin; especially when it is suggested by all the people thus far. Personally, I took one look at your website and closed the window. I didn't even try to navigate the site. It is definitely not professional, and it definitely isn't going to help convince people to come to your cause.

Also, saying that we don't understand the concept isn't a defense, that is an excuse. It is quite possible and very probable that they/we don't understand the concept, so you need to find a means of better explaining it. It was suggested to do up some drawings, and that is a good idea, but you should also look at how you present your information as well. A concise development document that can be shown (With an NDA) to a prospective teammate will go a lot further.

So now, the question is what are you going to do? Are you going to take into account the suggestions that have been givin and apply some of them; or are you going to carry on the way that you are headed? With the way that you are headed, I personally see nothing but failure; and taking our suggestions, that doesn't improve your chances of completing the game very much.

A couple statistics:
95% of all MMO's fail before they even make it to production

Now, another stat:
95% of all large statistics are made up.

Keep your concept, tweak it as needed, refine it down to 1 very simple puzzle and make that. Then Build on it.

Regards,
Ayrus

Last edited by Ayrus; 02/22/07 08:02.

suprised my account is still active....
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  checkbutton, Inestical, Perro 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de