Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (AbrahamR), 717 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Determining scale - Equation or some other method? #112402
02/17/07 01:47
02/17/07 01:47
New England
Jay_Watergate Offline OP
Jay_Watergate  Offline OP

New England
I am currently looking for a way to determin a scale inside my game world. I was wondering, is there an equation that allows me to do this, or does gamestudio have some nice little tool to help me out?

I believe the average scale for an FPS is 16quants to 1foot, or something along those lines. I dont know any other standards, so if someone could point me in the right direction on that topic as well, I would be really greatfull.

Regards,
Jay Watergate

"What is written in stone will remain until dust, but not a year longer." Visit www.deckscapedesign.com to see current design work on our local skatepark.
Re: Determining scale - Equation or some other method? [Re: Jay_Watergate] #112403
02/17/07 04:07
02/17/07 04:07
SC, United States
xXxGuitar511 Offline
Expert
xXxGuitar511  Offline
Expert

SC, United States
Thats about right - I'd go with that (16). 24 if you want a lil more detail and a challenge...

xXxGuitar511
- Programmer
Re: Determining scale - Equation or some other method? [Re: xXxGuitar511] #112404
02/17/07 16:49
02/17/07 16:49
New England
Jay_Watergate Offline OP

New England
Ok, well that would be fine if I was making an FPS... My actual question is how do you determin what scale to use? What do you mean "24 if you want a little more detail and a challenge"?

Also, how do I determin my scale in-game, and keep all the objects in the level on the same scale?

Regards,
Jay Watergate

"What is written in stone will remain until dust, but not a year longer." Visit www.deckscapedesign.com to see current design work on our local skatepark.
Re: Determining scale - Equation or some other met [Re: Jay_Watergate] #112405
02/17/07 18:38
02/17/07 18:38
Netherlands
D3D Offline
Serious User
D3D  Offline
Serious User

Netherlands
You determine what scale to use I guess it depends on what game your building and the models. In the manual it says for FPS I can use 1 quant per inch for instance. So how many inches long, wide, high is your hallway on the map..

From the manual:

Quote:

In the virtual world we have a right-handed XYZ coordinate system with the Z-axis standing upright. In the 2-D case, for positioning something on the screen or within a bitmap, we use a XY coordinate system in pixel units, with the Y-axis pointing downwards, and the origin is placed in the upper left corner. Space and time units of the virtual world are the quant and the tick . One quant is equivalent to one unit in WED and MED coordinates, and therefore one texture pixel at a 1.0 scale. How much inches a quant shall be depends on the relative size of the models. We recommend one inch per quant for person based games (shooters or adventures), and 4 inches per quant for vehicle based games (war games or flight simulators). This way with the same level size you get much bigger worlds. One tick is equivalent to 1/16 second - the average time between two frame cycles on a very low-end PC.

Here's what others say

smile
Re: Determining scale - Equation or some other met [Re: D3D] #112406
02/17/07 18:41
02/17/07 18:41
SC, United States
xXxGuitar511 Offline
Expert
xXxGuitar511  Offline
Expert

SC, United States
It depends on the amount of detail you want...

the more quants per inch, the better your textures will look (i think - not sure)...

It just really depends on what looks good.

xXxGuitar511
- Programmer
Re: Determining scale - Equation or some other met [Re: xXxGuitar511] #112407
02/18/07 01:11
02/18/07 01:11
Ottawa, Canada
O
Ottawa Offline
User
Ottawa  Offline
User
O

Ottawa, Canada
Hi!

This question is important for me. Presently I do the scalling by eye.
I count the little squares....
When I use the scale box it reverts to zero as soon as I touch Enter.
In MED the scale stays put and I know when I come back a few days later what I was doing.

Is this possible in WED?

Hope this helps!
Ottawa laugh

Ver 7.86.2 Pro and Lite-C
Re: Determining scale - Equation or some other met [Re: Ottawa] #112408
02/18/07 04:01
02/18/07 04:01
New England
Jay_Watergate Offline OP

New England
It seems to me that this would be 10x easier if Gamestudio employed some form of constraint system... Common in almost every CAD package, I feel it could do a world of good for game design as well.

@Dusty3D: Thanks for the little quote, that helps a little. So basically what you are saying is that I should measure from point to point, and use their (x,y,z) coordinates to determin size, and scale... Seems to me there should be an equation for that... maybe ill have to figure one out.

@xXxGuitar511: Seems to me you are talking more about resolution than scale... from what I understand of the topic.

To all, thanks. Another question, how do I find the x,y,z coordinates of a vertex in MED? This way I can determin a relative scale, kind of, and then resize it in WED as needed.

Also, is the position, or the x,y,z coordinates, the measure in quants away from the center, or (0,0,0)? If so, this might be easier than I thought.

Regards, and thanks again/in advance,
Jay Watergate

Re: Determining scale - Equation or some other met [Re: Jay_Watergate] #112409
02/18/07 06:23
02/18/07 06:23
SC, United States
xXxGuitar511 Offline
Expert
xXxGuitar511  Offline
Expert

SC, United States
You noobs confuse the hell out of me...

Quote:

Also, is the position, or the x,y,z coordinates, the measure in quants away from the center, or (0,0,0)?

What the hell are you asking here? The center is (0,0,0), also called the ORIGIN.

Quote:

I am currently looking for a way to determin a scale inside my game world.

What [censored] scale are you talking about? There is the global scale (How many quants should represent an inch), which was described by Dusty3D. This scale depends on how you want the game to look, and is completely dependant on your game. So there is no value that you should use, other than what looks good.

Quote:

This question is important for me. Presently I do the scalling by eye.
I count the little squares....
When I use the scale box it reverts to zero as soon as I touch Enter.
In MED the scale stays put and I know when I come back a few days later what I was doing.

Which scaling are you talking about? The one you set by right clicking an entity and going to properties -> position?

xXxGuitar511
- Programmer
Re: Determining scale - Equation or some other met [Re: xXxGuitar511] #112410
02/18/07 14:08
02/18/07 14:08
G
gettarobox Offline
gettarobox  Offline
G

i think he wants to have a scale for placing things in relation to each other based on a set unit for distances. so he could place two object 6 units apart or what not. i think the quants scale should do the trick since they will always stay the same. the only time i could see you worrying about this is if you are using maya or some other 3d app to create your models. i guess i could be completely wrong though.

Re: Determining scale - Equation or some other met [Re: gettarobox] #112411
02/18/07 22:51
02/18/07 22:51
New England
Jay_Watergate Offline OP

New England
@xXxGuitar511: Calm down...

Gamestudio has a coordinate system, correct. It is possible to be at position (12,92,6), correct? Now, is the vector that points directly from the origin to point (12,92,6) measured in quants? If so, I could scale everything relative to its distance from the origin.

Also, I understand it is called the origin, the right word simply escaped me when I posted last.

@gettarobox: basically, correct. I am simply trying to find out, at this point, if the coordinate system in WED/MED is measured in quants, and how to find the coordinates of different points in WED/MED.

To all, sorry if this has become a confusing topic. If someone could answer the two questions above, then my scaling question will basically be answered.

Regards,
Jay Watergate

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  HeelX, rvL_eXile 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de