by jcl. 04/26/24 11:09
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
4 registered members (AndrewAMD, SBGuy, TipmyPip, ozgur), 923 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Non programmer #114240
02/28/07 03:56
02/28/07 03:56
T
Tinnysp1n Offline OP
Tinnysp1n  Offline OP
T

Hey. I have never done any kind of coding whatsoever and i was just wondering how difficult it would be to learn just enough to be able to create an online first person deathmatch game. 3DGS seems to be popping up everywhere with these engines that dont require any programming, but after looking into it, it seems it does actually require programing knowledge to make anything at all. I have all the other skills down, modeling, level design, texture design, animation etc. The only thing that holds me back is not knowing a thing about programming. I have always assumed learning to code in order to create a half decent game would take years which is what has put me off so far:P Any info would be nice, cheers!

Re: Non programmer [Re: Tinnysp1n] #114241
02/28/07 04:12
02/28/07 04:12
Wisconsin USA
FoxHound Offline
Expert
FoxHound  Offline
Expert

Wisconsin USA
If you put daily effort into it and looked at the right tutorials then you could have something like this in about 6 months to a year. Again, you need to put a lot of effort into this, keep trying and trying.

A FPS is pretty easy to set up and I could have all of that done in about an hour. Setting up AI is a lot harder though, but there are tuts on how to work this and there is an AI pack already out that could handle this. If you want to skip that and do only MP, then it would be just as hard, again though there are lots of tuts on this as well.

My advice is to hit every tutorial that you can find for about 3 months. Daily work, then start on your game and give a few months to have something. In the end you get out what you put in.

---------------------
There is no signature here.

QUIT LOOKING FOR ONE!
Re: Non programmer [Re: FoxHound] #114242
02/28/07 21:18
02/28/07 21:18
K
khanoftruth Offline
khanoftruth  Offline
K

All published games that come to mind need coding. It is essential to learn C-script if you are using 3DGS, and important to understand C++ either way.

Having said that, it is challenging to create an online game. It takes a lot of time and work (but that never stopped me as a new person).

For FPS tutorials, there is a big 4-part one in the Acknex Unlimited site.

For Multiplayer tutorials, the only way to go is Locoweeds (he is one of two tutorials). Can be also found on Acknex Unlimited.

Any more questions...

The Galvanic Productions Hompage: www.GalvanicProductions.tk For our current project, click on the Nirvana link.

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de