Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
AlpacaZorroPlugin v1.3.0 Released
by kzhao. 05/20/24 20:05
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 649 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Baklazhan, Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod
19052 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Better than Cryengine2 and Unreal Engine 3 [Re: Why_Do_I_Die] #126635
05/01/07 18:48
05/01/07 18:48
Bay City, MI
lostclimate Offline
Expert
lostclimate  Offline
Expert

Bay City, MI
thats a bit more of a reasonable reason to assume that, but still the community seems to believe its between 1k-2k, we'll just have to see how it turns out

Re: Better than Cryengine2 and Unreal Engine 3 [Re: EX Citer] #126636
05/01/07 23:47
05/01/07 23:47
M
Matt_Aufderheide Offline
Expert
Matt_Aufderheide  Offline
Expert
M

Quote:

I think the 2D straw doesnīt look so well. They use millions of polygones and such stuff is 2D... I donīt like it. MAybe personal taste. But in the best game I played in my life everything was 3D. I am talking about Vampire Bloodlines. I think there are no sprites in that game.

I dont understand why they wasted alot of polygones in that screenshot for the mouth of a beast and then made almost everything on his back just a flat texture... They screwed the rule for high detailed face and low detailed body, by exaggerating it.

This screen shot is a good example for, I want to watch it, but I dont want to play it.

Next to vampire bloodlines, the best games I know are games like: Super Metroid, Zelda III, Zelda Ocarina of Time, Yoshis Island, Super Mario World, Sonic Adventure, Actraiser, Gargoyles Quest (on snes), FinalFantasyIII, Rayman, BeyondGood and Evil...

No offense but this has got to be some of the dumbest criticism I've ever seen about a screenshot...

Sphere Engine--the premier A6 graphics plugin.
Re: Better than Cryengine2 and Unreal Engine 3 [Re: Matt_Aufderheide] #126637
05/02/07 06:05
05/02/07 06:05
Berlin
EX Citer Offline
Expert
EX Citer  Offline
Expert

Berlin
thank you! I love you too.

And I donīt know what you try to say.

:L
Re: Better than Cryengine2 and Unreal Engine 3 [Re: EX Citer] #126638
05/02/07 06:33
05/02/07 06:33
Finland
Inestical Offline
Rabbit Developer
Inestical  Offline
Rabbit Developer

Finland
I don't want to bark in, etc..

But what I think is that you're being pretty random. First you mention small detail, 2D straw, and end listing your favourite games.. When the topic is wether or not Offset Engine is better than CE2 or UE3 and given 'proofs' are the screenshots.

As a sidenote; I don't see any sprites in the specific screenshot =/

"Yesterday was once today's tomorrow."
Re: Better than Cryengine2 and Unreal Engine 3 [Re: Inestical] #126639
05/02/07 21:04
05/02/07 21:04
Berlin
EX Citer Offline
Expert
EX Citer  Offline
Expert

Berlin
Well, I am writing what I am thinking when I see the screen shots. Itīs indeed difficult to understand if I donīt write something different as what I think to make it easier to others to understand what I feel.

And writing english makes a big gap into my thoughts making them more confusing and difficult to understand/explain.

Anyway I still think what I said is right, because I would never publish these screenshots because I think they are not good.

Funny thing is I am right back from a friend who is an artist who can draw "perfect" and thinks, a good picture is well (realistic and clean) drawn. Everything what is not clean and "realistic" drawn is crap for him.
I think he understands nothing about art and this world. Not in a bad way, because I hope one day he will understand what I mean. But he is still at the beginning.

hmmm... I guess that wonīt make any sence to most people here, and you will think I am offtopic. And I also think this is the wrong place to talk about it and everyone can discover himself this world.

I allready know that for my taste matt aufderheide open-mind regarding art isnīt very big. I think his look at art is very "flat" or 2 dimensional. We also have our difference and he doesnīt like me aswell as I donīt like him.

And to write my previous post in a way which hopefully everyone understands: (I think that) To most people a screenshot/movie with alot of polygones and glamourus effects makes them think the engine is written by smart talented people. It must be a great engine with which can made great games.

But I think they only see the half truth.

There are much more points as the plain picture which give me information about project in this picture. And if the creators donīt see that, I think they didnīt see other things as well. For me these information count aswell as alot of polygones and effects.
How can someone put alot of work, money and time into something and then publish such a not well structured and espacially low intended picture?

Anyway I have understood that I am in the wrong place here and my opinion is more and more against the stream, what is totally useless. I am out for now.

:L
Re: Better than Cryengine2 and Unreal Engine 3 [Re: EX Citer] #126640
05/03/07 02:25
05/03/07 02:25
Beverly, Massachusetts
Rhuarc Offline
Expert
Rhuarc  Offline
Expert

Beverly, Massachusetts
Quote:

Brilliant.

I no longer post on these forums, keep in touch with me via:
Linkedin.com
My MSDN blog
Re: Better than Cryengine2 and Unreal Engine 3 [Re: Machinery_Frank] #126641
05/03/07 06:29
05/03/07 06:29
Alberta, Canada
William Offline
Expert
William  Offline
Expert

Alberta, Canada
Thanks for the info from Gamestar Frank. For sure the other aspects mean very much, though, I guess I was talking more in the line of graphics.

Re: Better than Cryengine2 and Unreal Engine 3 [Re: William] #126642
05/04/07 11:32
05/04/07 11:32
M
Matt_Aufderheide Offline
Expert
Matt_Aufderheide  Offline
Expert
M

Quote:

And I donīt know what you try to say.

I'm not attacking you, I'm saying that your criticism made no sense...

You say the screenshot sucks because you dont like the straw, and then list a bunch of irrelevant nintendo games.

What do sprites have to do with this? Imaged-based effects, like sprites, alpha testing, etc, are used when you cant do some details in 3D, because of the huge number of polys needed, and for saving time. Imagine having to make each straw blade in 3D... 3D techonology isnt to the point yet where all things can be represented in 3D perfectly.

Attacking my work because it looks "2D" or your friend because he doesnt like things are badly drawn is silly and frankly reveals a lack of knowledge about art history. Many Great paintings are fairly "flat" in that there is not much depth or perspective.. like at Ingres, Gruenwald, Japanese/Chinese painting, Van Gough, etc...

Certainly you can have your own aesthetic taste, but dont suppose that it is "right" and that everything else sucks. You should be able to appreciate a good work, even if it isnt to your taste. I dont like Picasso, but I recognize that his work has good qualities.

Sphere Engine--the premier A6 graphics plugin.
Re: Better than Cryengine2 and Unreal Engine 3 [Re: Matt_Aufderheide] #126643
05/05/07 00:38
05/05/07 00:38
C
Cipher Offline
Cipher  Offline
C

Well it should be noted that when you license an engine you obtain more than simply a binary.

Engines like Unreal 3 and Crysis have well-developed pipelines , quite a bit of well-written documentation , code and artwork samples and other nice things.

Quality, priority support and bug fixes / enhancements. In fact, for certain engine licenses you may be able to make personal phone calls to senior developers , attend or request seminars and meetings with senior engine development staff , discuss and recommend future enhancements ( that are actually listened to, to a certain extent ) etc.

For many studios / publishers paying for such benefits is economical.

Re: Better than Cryengine2 and Unreal Engine 3 [Re: Cipher] #126644
05/05/07 17:57
05/05/07 17:57
U.S.
Why_Do_I_Die Offline
Warned
Why_Do_I_Die  Offline
Warned

U.S.
Your crazy cipher , no matter how beautifull and good the Unreal Engine 3 is ,
it's $750,000 , do you properly understand that number , SEVEN HUNDRED AND FIFTY THOUSAND DOLLARS , maybe in capital letters you'll understand it better. Thats a fortune man , it's insane , only big companies with tons of money can afford that , no one else. The only reason these companies pay it is because well , it is a very good and complete engine , and has all the next gen stuff and is very powerfull as well , and frankly , when you have a 30 million dollar budget throwing 1 million to the engine and just worrying about the game doesnt seem like a bad idea. But you have to realize , things are only worth what people pay for them , nothing more , look at 3D Max , it's expensive , but it's $3000 some dollars , and it's a very powerfull software which has been used in many commercial movies and the like , yet it's something affordable in that sense, why in the planet would someone think it's just to charge almost a million dollars for their software ? No matter how much documentation it can contain , and shaders , and anything else , it's still a game engine , with no game , just the engine , you still have to produce a good game with it , or it's worthless , I think it's inhumane for this chimps to be charging that much for a piece of software , and retarded that people of this forum agree with the price , and then beat down what we have , critisize it to the last detail while we praise the other to the last detail. Again , awesome and beautifull engines , but definately not worth their price.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  aztec, Blink, HeelX 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de