Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (AbrahamR), 728 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
a completely passable WMB block #8432
03/05/02 01:24
03/05/02 01:24

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I've got a WMB entity in my game that is transparent, that I want the player to be able to walk through without any collision at all. However, when I set the block to 'passable' the effect of wading in water is achieved, which I don't want. I'm basing my scripts on the template scripts, and deleting what I don't need, but at the moment I haven't touched any of the collision detection or movement or gravity parts of the scipts. Does anyone know how to solve my problem?

Thanks in advance

Re: a completely passable WMB block #8433
03/05/02 02:08
03/05/02 02:08

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I get the same problem myself.
I'm pretty convinced the solution lies somewhere with the push values. Read the manual and play around with it.(transparent object has big push value to be collided with level and perhaps with other models if you want to, but smaller to be passable with the player).

Still trying myself though. If anyone already found his way through this, please let us know.

Re: a completely passable WMB block #8434
03/06/02 05:35
03/06/02 05:35
Bay Area
Doug Offline
Senior Expert
Doug  Offline
Senior Expert

Bay Area

Conitec's Free Resources:
User Magazine || Docs and Tutorials || WIKI
Re: a completely passable WMB block #8435
03/06/02 19:38
03/06/02 19:38
USA
Homey Offline
Homey  Offline

USA
Hiya,

Actually push won't work for wmb's if your just trying to set the push value lower then the player, say for instance -1, you'll stick into it, I spoke to support about this a couple weeks ago, They mentioned somthing about it taking to much processing power or somthing... Although that part of the manual should be changed, according to the manual it should work...
One way I have figured out if your going to use transparent is save as prefab, open the object in med, then save it as an mdl, you can then use lower push values then the player and walk right thru it... If you want to stop your npc's on this object have them ignore push values and they will collide with it, like any other model...

According to the other topic, passable will be treated as water on wmb's, if I'm reading dougs post right, but using mdl's seems to be a valid work around, at least it was for me on this problem...

Another thing I was thinking was about scanning water texture names, all textures would have a name of water001, water002 and so on... then instead of checking for content passible for water, I get texture name then check if contents passible && tex_name == water... then we'd know for sure we have a water block, I use this method for detecting ground for my footstep code, so my sound changes according to surfaces I step on...
although this wouldnt be good for the templates because not everyone will know to rename all there water textures...

In short, try the MDL method..

Hope any of this helps

Homey

Re: a completely passable WMB block #8436
03/06/02 21:21
03/06/02 21:21
USA
Homey Offline
Homey  Offline

USA
Hiya again,

Some other things to note on using models im discovering, as the size of the model gets larger the collision detection seems to get worse..
Also when tracing on models, if the trace hits at an angle it seems to detect the model, but when tracing straight on seems to go right thru it, mabey I can explain better with some ascii art...
code:
               point A
|-----|
|model|
npc<- |-----| point B

Ok this is MDL block but larger then a standard large block sized up alittle...
When tracing to point A. I return a hit on the model everytime, but when tracing to point B. it goes thru the model everytime, Im using use_box in trace_mode, and in the level point B is clearly behind the model...
This would all be so much easier if we could just push thru wmb's.. =(

Anywho, the saga continues.. =)

Homey

Moderated by  HeelX, Spirit 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de