Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
AlpacaZorroPlugin v1.3.0 Released
by kzhao. 05/19/24 18:45
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (7th_zorro, AndrewAMD, TedMar), 837 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
driving miss daisy #128572
05/08/07 09:35
05/08/07 09:35
A
andy_1984 Offline OP
andy_1984  Offline OP
A

once you have your coded with all the functions you want, its time to realy get on iwth the level design and playability.

for an ordinary driving game, not racing, just... driving what would you like to see. what i have in mind is small cities through country roads to small sleepy towns then to absolutely nowhere.

what should happen on the way to places like these, what should you bee seeing, hearing.

driving could get a bit boring so other side games would be a nice addition, car chases perhaps. get to such and such a place on the set time.

Re: driving miss daisy [Re: andy_1984] #128573
05/10/07 10:40
05/10/07 10:40
Melbourne, Australia
Matt_Coles Offline

User
Matt_Coles  Offline

User

Melbourne, Australia
i think it'd be interesting if you could switch to a passenger in the game and play mini games on something like a psp.

Re: driving miss daisy [Re: Matt_Coles] #128574
05/10/07 16:50
05/10/07 16:50
Germany
Error014 Offline
Expert
Error014  Offline
Expert

Germany
Actually, you should have thought of these things even before you started coding.

Anyway, I don't think playing "mini games on a psp" is that good of a concept. If driving around is so boring, then why should I do that in the first place? I'm playing a game after all, I want to have fun. Why do I have to sit around and wait or play unrelated minigames? That doesn't seem so elegant to me. Either allow me to skip the drivingpart, or try to add something that makes sense (in a loose sense of the word) as far as driving is concerned. Car chases is a good idea. Races would be possible. In GTA, you get points for nice stunts. Why don't you add something like that?

Generally, if you ask yourself "What do I have to add to make Part X fun", then think if you really need the player to go through Part X at all. It might be enough for him to see a panel or a textmessage "After driving five hours through the desert, you're there". Of course, not all games are made to be "just fun", so maybe you're after that (in the sense of a realistic experience). If so, ignore what I've said.

(For some reason I keep thinking of that one game that had you driving a bus through the desert for hours without anything happening inbetween. I tried to find an article about it, but without remembering the name of it, thats hard

EDIT: Found something about it: Link )

Last edited by Error014; 05/10/07 17:11.

Perhaps this post will get me points for originality at least.

Check out Dungeon Deities! It's amazing and will make you happy, successful and almost certainly more attractive! It might be true!
Re: driving miss daisy [Re: Error014] #128575
05/10/07 19:16
05/10/07 19:16
USofA
fastlane69 Offline
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline
Senior Expert

USofA
Great find on the smoke and mirrors!!!

Re: driving miss daisy [Re: fastlane69] #128576
05/11/07 00:47
05/11/07 00:47
Bay Area
Doug Offline
Senior Expert
Doug  Offline
Senior Expert

Bay Area
Quote:

Great find on the smoke and mirrors!!!

Yes, the Penn & Teller game was the first thing to come to my mind too.

I wonder if there is a market for a pure driving sim like there is for flight sims. My first thought would be no because almost anybody can drive (at least in the US) while few people get the chance to fly an airplane.

But then I'm thinking about all the gear-heads out there who would love to drive a $250,000 sports car...

The real trick is the fact that you are simulating an experience that almost everybody knows really well. I know Marco can tell you what it feels like to land a plane with a crosswind , but most of us don't. But almost everybody over the age of 18 in the US can tell you what it feels like to parallel park between two cars.

Conitec's Free Resources:
User Magazine || Docs and Tutorials || WIKI
Re: driving miss daisy [Re: Doug] #128577
05/11/07 08:47
05/11/07 08:47
A
andy_1984 Offline OP
andy_1984  Offline OP
A

at first this idea wasnt realy a game for the masses but rather myself, as a first game to learn how to use 3dgs i thought of making a level of where i live and to drive around it, i got fed up of the fact that building the road system around here was a nightmare with convex and non convex blocks so now its just gonna be roads setout by pre defined models that cant go wrong so the areas and cities im building are totaly fictional untill i can get a better solution to real world level making.

the game is more to do with a more realistic experience like error said, im trying to go for graphics and scenery, the envoirnment, and the cars and people round about you. the side games are just a distraction from the mundane. if the game turns out better than i first expected i may focus more on a selling point and use the realistic experience as a sort of free roam that most games are coming out with now.

another idea was the ability for people to create there own towns and use them in the game so to make a huge network like google is trying to do with sketchup and Google Earth, imagine this. in time i create my town and you create yours, somewhere in between they are connected, probably by ferry or euro tunnel, i could drive to your town. big dreams i know but the idea is good.

Re: driving miss daisy [Re: andy_1984] #128578
05/13/07 14:15
05/13/07 14:15
Cambridge
Joey Offline
Expert
Joey  Offline
Expert

Cambridge
driving was very fun in mafia (the game), even though the cars were slow the atmosphere of the city of lost heaven and the time feeling was stunning.

Re: driving miss daisy [Re: Joey] #128579
05/15/07 19:36
05/15/07 19:36
A
andy_1984 Offline OP
andy_1984  Offline OP
A

i loved that too, just driving where ever you feel like and then driving to side games like the race track with the realy old rocket cars, and trying to unlock new vehicles. im sorry i ever sold that game

Re: driving miss daisy [Re: Doug] #128580
05/16/07 13:32
05/16/07 13:32
A
Aliakey Offline
Aliakey  Offline
A

Quote:

I wonder if there is a market for a pure driving sim like there is for flight sims. My first thought would be no because almost anybody can drive (at least in the US) while few people get the chance to fly an airplane.

Seems SCS Software believes there's a market... well, if you want to drive an 18-wheeler or commercial bus. Web page: http://scssoft.com/

SCS tends to cater to the niche market. They've been around for years (thinking back to the late 90's; the game quality is certainly not up to par with titles like Oblivion, Far Cry, etc. but for the most part, they're solid games that can run on older platforms.

The one key point (alluded to in this thread) is that each of SCS' driving sims is goal-oriented, whether it be a bus or truck. That's the core of all games. In SCS' truck sim, you have to get to point "x" within "y" amount of time, or suffer the consequences. Do well in the game, and you are rewarded (ex: expand your truck fleet, for example).

With Andy's idea, perhaps those small towns have certain tasks to complete or items to find in order to earn some sort of benefit (such as a nitro retrofit {grin}), but to do when the player feels ready for it. Now it *is* starting to follow along the lines of a modern-day Oblivion, but who can argue with their success, right? LOL!

Just a thought from the lonely open highways of west Texas.

Re: driving miss daisy [Re: Aliakey] #128581
05/17/07 23:56
05/17/07 23:56
Bay Area
Doug Offline
Senior Expert
Doug  Offline
Senior Expert

Bay Area
Quote:

Seems SCS Software believes there's a market... well, if you want to drive an 18-wheeler or commercial bus.

Ah, but that's my point. Almost everyone can drive but few people get to drive an 18-wheeler. You'd have to go to school, get a license, pay $$$ for a rig or work for a company. Buying a sim isn't the same but it is much cheaper.

But good point on niche markets. As an indie developer you should always think about them.

Conitec's Free Resources:
User Magazine || Docs and Tutorials || WIKI

Moderated by  checkbutton, mk_1 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de