by degenerate_762. 04/30/24 23:23
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (dr_panther, 7th_zorro), 1,203 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Some [further] questions starting with Lite-C #131722
05/25/07 02:21
05/25/07 02:21
eleroux Offline OP
eleroux  Offline OP

I downloaded and installed Lite-C, and read the Lite-C workshop. I liked the tute very much, and now I feel like starting / rewriting my projects with Lite-C. I have developed quite a bunch of code in C-script but nothing I can't rewrite.

But before that, I'd like that Oh you mighty experienced Lite-C users and testers give some enlightment so I don't take a wrong path in my journey.

I have these concepts about Lite-C. At what extent I am wrong? Are these sentences true or false?

- Lite-C is a general purpose language based in C but which can also access the Ackneck engine features.

- Creating games in Lite-C is pretty much like using A6, but instead of the WED-based approach in A6, I will start my project in the main script, loading levels and content from MED/WED. Other than that, there's little difference of how it all works. (Except of course the syntax).

- Free Lite-C will allow me to use all features I have in my A6 Commercial 6.60. I won't be able to publish commercial games, but then I will buy either Lite-C non-free, or update to A7 Comm and so publish my game.

- Commercial use is the ONLY limitation of free version of Lite-C.

- All C-Script functions and instructions are available in Lite-C currently.

- I can use other C features and C libraries, like string, arrays, vectors, math, etc. in Lite-C.

- I don't use templates, which would be a benefit of C-script over Lite-C right now, so that's less an issue to worry about.

- I know C-script pretty well, and have also coded in C++. Lite-C will be easy for me.

- Lite-C will get more support in the following years than C-Script.

I know a lot has been said on Lite-C, and I have read several threads and faqs and info pages, but somehow I'd feel more confidence if someone explained Lite-C to me as if I was a 36-year old little kid.

Emilio

Re: Some [further] questions starting with Lite-C [Re: eleroux] #131723
05/25/07 06:59
05/25/07 06:59
H
HeelX Offline
Senior Expert
HeelX  Offline
Senior Expert
H

Lite-C is a general purpose language based in C but which can also access the Ackneck engine features. - LiteC has been designed for the use with the acknex engine. It would make no sense to use it elsewhere, because then you can use ANSI C or C++ or whatever. You have to differ between LiteC as programming language and the A6/A7 engine instructions which are acknex-only.

Creating games in Lite-C is pretty much like using A6, but instead of the WED-based approach in A6, I will start my project in the main script, loading levels and content from MED/WED. Other than that, there's little difference of how it all works. (Except of course the syntax). - I never used WED to adjust game values, nor I started the game via WED. So, if you were used to this method, yes, you are right.

Free Lite-C will allow me to use all features I have in my A6 Commercial 6.60. I won't be able to publish commercial games, but then I will buy either Lite-C non-free, or update to A7 Comm and so publish my game. yes - but there are still engine limitations. Read on..

Commercial use is the ONLY limitation of free version of Lite-C. - yes. But remember that the free version of liteC is only a subset of the A6/A7 engine at the current time. You can compare the free distr. feature set with the extra edition of A6. If you buy a better A7 edition, you get A7, the tools (which you don't have with the liteC distr. except MED) and, of course, the features.

All C-Script functions and instructions are available in Lite-C currently. - yes

I can use other C features and C libraries, like string, arrays, vectors, math, etc. in Lite-C. - yes

I don't use templates, which would be a benefit of C-script over Lite-C right now, so that's less an issue to worry about. - if you are an experienced programmer (as you said later), you should'nt use templates if you want to do something on your own.

I know C-script pretty well, and have also coded in C++. Lite-C will be easy for me. - if you are experienced in C, yes. There are some things which aren't supported by LiteC yet, but these will follow soon.

Lite-C will get more support in the following years than C-Script. - Lite-C will replace CScript this year (in the meaning of support and development),.. CScript is a dead horse, so to say. You can still use the CScript instructions under A7 (because the CScript compiler will be included a long time), but most new features are - or better said - will be LiteC-only.

[EDIT]

Even at the present time LiteC is superior (except for shaders, because they arent implemented/enabled yet) over CScript. This gap will be widen sooner and faster.

Last edited by HeelX; 05/25/07 07:02.
Re: Some [further] questions starting with Lite-C [Re: HeelX] #131724
05/25/07 09:14
05/25/07 09:14
San Francisco
T
Tor Offline
Tor  Offline
T

San Francisco
You can actually use the content you make in WED (a6 commercial 6.5 works fine...)

to make levels... I haven't had a problem what so ever, you can even include the .c script and attach actions no problem!

"Towlie, you're the worst character ever." I know...
Re: Some [further] questions starting with Lite-C [Re: Tor] #131725
05/25/07 17:51
05/25/07 17:51
eleroux Offline OP
eleroux  Offline OP

Thanks for the valuable info! I feel more motivated now. Lite-C all the way!!

I'm not sure I understand the limitations about LiteC and A6 features - I have A6 Comm. Can I use bone animation, for instance? What I CAN'T do currently with Lite C and A6.60 ?

Moderated by  HeelX, Lukas, rayp, Rei_Ayanami, Superku, Tobias, TWO, VeT 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de