Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
4 registered members (degenerate_762, AbrahamR, AndrewAMD, ozgur), 667 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Lite-C with Acknex engine #136512
06/14/07 22:59
06/14/07 22:59
England, UK
A
Aaron_H Offline OP
User
Aaron_H  Offline OP
User
A

England, UK
Hi all,

I've recently come back to the community after a bit of a break and there's been a fair bit of talk about Lite-C around here (which I don't fully understand).

First off, I'd like to ask a few questions about Lite-C (Sorry if there have been covered elsewhere, but I wasn't sure what to search for).

- I have a basic idea of what Lite-C is, but upon browsing the Conitec site, I found that they're giving it away for free!?!

Question is; what's the deal? How is the free version limited to the paid version? Also, how does the paid version compare to the version that comes with the A7 version of 3DGS.

When I read the site (and had a very quick look at the workshops), it said that Lite-C also contained the Acknex engine, and that it is possible to create 3D objects in MED (which is also free. Again, how does this compare to the version with 3DGS both A6 and A7) and use them to create 3D environments.
- My other question is, if Lite-C is being sold for $69 with the Acknex engine, which version of the engine is bundled with it? And how does it compare to the version that comes with 3DGS?

I'm just not fully understanding how Lite-C can be sold with an engine for $69. Surely it would be competing with 3DGS, as if you can get a version of the engine with all the features (other than not having WED), what's the point in us even buying 3DGS anymore?

And if the only difference is noy having WED (therefore making levels harder to make, if everything has to be coded).. couldn't an A6 user just make levels in WED, buy a copy of Lite-C and essentially have the "full" version of the engine (Pro edition version) for a low price?

Last thing; like I said I haven't been around in a long time. The last time I saw anything about Lite-C it was still in beta and being developed.
I understand that the product is constantly being improved, but is it now a stable and full product (with all the features that C-Script originally had, as well as the improvements that were to be gained from the new language?)

Sorry that this is a bit of a long winded and mixed up post. I'd just like to clear things up. (Please say if I worded it badly).

Thanks,
Aaron.

Re: Lite-C with Acknex engine [Re: Aaron_H] #136513
06/15/07 00:40
06/15/07 00:40
Netherlands
D3D Offline
Serious User
D3D  Offline
Serious User

Netherlands
Quote:

Question is; what's the deal? How is the free version limited to the paid version? Also, how does the paid version compare to the version that comes with the A7 version of 3DGS.

Free as in that you can't compile a executable and you see a constant watermark.

Quote:

When I read the site (and had a very quick look at the workshops), it said that Lite-C also contained the Acknex engine, and that it is possible to create 3D objects in MED (which is also free. Again, how does this compare to the version with 3DGS both A6 and A7) and use them to create 3D environments.
- My other question is, if Lite-C is being sold for $69 with the Acknex engine, which version of the engine is bundled with it? And how does it compare to the version that comes with 3DGS?

From what i've read, with the freeware Lite-C/MED version you are not allowed to create anything commercial. The engine edition is either standard or extra compared to features for both the freeware version as the paid. However if you own Gamestudio commercial/professional those features are available too.

Quote:

I'm just not fully understanding how Lite-C can be sold with an engine for $69. Surely it would be competing with 3DGS, as if you can get a version of the engine with all the features (other than not having WED), what's the point in us even buying 3DGS anymore?

Lite-C on itself is just a lower edition then for instance commercial or professional. Plus you don't get to have WED and or GameEdit. So if you want more features you must upgrade to a higher edition and with that you get Lite-C for free as well.

Quote:

And if the only difference is noy having WED (therefore making levels harder to make, if everything has to be coded).. couldn't an A6 user just make levels in WED, buy a copy of Lite-C and essentially have the "full" version of the engine (Pro edition version) for a low price?

Don't see how one would build levels in WED and essentially have the full version of the engine without purchasing Gamestudio in the first place. Also the features are somewhat limited. Unless you own another Gamestudio edition or create your own plugins.

Quote:

Last thing; like I said I haven't been around in a long time. The last time I saw anything about Lite-C it was still in beta and being developed.
I understand that the product is constantly being improved, but is it now a stable and full product (with all the features that C-Script originally had, as well as the improvements that were to be gained from the new language?)

Guess the product can be thought as stable, but when it is beta or even when not every software has bugs. In a way you answered your own question. As you know where to look for answers

smile
Re: Lite-C with Acknex engine [Re: D3D] #136514
06/15/07 09:51
06/15/07 09:51
England, UK
A
Aaron_H Offline OP
User
Aaron_H  Offline OP
User
A

England, UK
Quote:

Quote:

Don't see how one would build levels in WED and essentially have the full version of the engine without purchasing Gamestudio in the first place. Also the features are somewhat limited. Unless you own another Gamestudio edition or create your own plugins.

My idea was that someone with A6 could build and compile levels in WED, purchase the full version of Lite-C and then do all the scripting with that. - Creating the exe in Lite-C. Essentially meaning they get A7 features for a lower price.

I've since found this, which explains how the version of Lite-C compares with 3DGS. So I understand now. (I didn't think to look on the A7 page for information about the Lite-C product versions, I figuered it was being marketed as something different...

Quote:

Quote:

Guess the product can be thought as stable, but when it is beta or even when not every software has bugs. In a way you answered your own question. As you know where to look for answers

I suppose I did answer my own question (I do that a lot).
Sorry.

Moderated by  HeelX, Lukas, rayp, Rei_Ayanami, Superku, Tobias, TWO, VeT 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de