Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (AbrahamR), 717 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Easiest genre for beginning designers? #137580
06/22/07 02:08
06/22/07 02:08
New England
Jay_Watergate Offline OP
Jay_Watergate  Offline OP

New England
I am interested in several different genres of video games, and would love to develope for all of them. However, to start out, I want a nice and easy project, so as I do not burn myself out on the idea before I even get started. My favorite genres are:

Strategy (Problem Solving/RTS)
Arcade
FPS
Racing
Party

Obviously, any of these could potentially be difficult to design, but in general, which of these genres is easiest to design a game around? I have heard a lot about FPS's being the easiest to make, but is that really true (again, in general).

Thank you,
Jay Watergate

"What is written in stone will remain until dust, but not a year longer." Visit www.deckscapedesign.com to see current design work on our local skatepark.
Re: Easiest genre for beginning designers? [Re: Jay_Watergate] #137581
06/22/07 02:35
06/22/07 02:35
0x00000USA
M
MrCode Offline
User
MrCode  Offline
User
M

0x00000USA
In my opinion:

If you're a programmer: Puzzle.

If you're a level designer: FPS.

If you're a model designer: Racing or Party (they have a lot of focusing on one or many models close up).

Code:
void main()
{
    cout << "I am MrCode,";
    cout << "hear me roar!";
    system("PAUSE");
}
Re: Easiest genre for beginning designers? [Re: MrCode] #137582
06/22/07 02:55
06/22/07 02:55
New England
Jay_Watergate Offline OP

New England
haha, well technically, I am none of those, yet. However, I would say that I am more of a modeler/level designer than anything... I guess that leaves FPS, racing or party.

Since party would rely extensivly on multiplayer, which I feel will be a very daunting task, that is also out. Ok then, racing or FPS, that narrows it down. Thank you... any other comments are of course welcome.

Regards

"What is written in stone will remain until dust, but not a year longer." Visit www.deckscapedesign.com to see current design work on our local skatepark.
Re: Easiest genre for beginning designers? [Re: Jay_Watergate] #137583
06/22/07 07:23
06/22/07 07:23
Cologne
padrino Offline
User
padrino  Offline
User

Cologne
First Person Shooter... Definitly the easiest.

Re: Easiest genre for beginning designers? [Re: padrino] #137584
06/22/07 07:29
06/22/07 07:29
Poor village - Poland ;)
tompo Offline
User
tompo  Offline
User

Poor village - Poland ;)
FPS or Arcade
FP-S is the best choice for the beginning
But true is that very good FPS is harder to do than poor RTS

Never say never.
Re: Easiest genre for beginning designers? [Re: tompo] #137585
06/22/07 08:56
06/22/07 08:56
HK
V
vlau Offline
Serious User
vlau  Offline
Serious User
V

HK
I'll say choose the one that you like mostly,
because you'll not give it up easily.

Re: Easiest genre for beginning designers? [Re: vlau] #137586
06/22/07 09:30
06/22/07 09:30
WA, Australia
J
JibbSmart Offline
Expert
JibbSmart  Offline
Expert
J

WA, Australia
fps is easily the easiest. not a good fps of course my first project was an fps with a shotgun, an automatic rifle, and a special stone that slows down time. i had baddies that would run directly towards you if they could see you, and if they hear a gunshot they turn around to see where it came from. lots of fun to make, but playing it quickly got old

racing can be quite hard if you don't know your physics. and i don't mean programming your own physics engine either, you can't really use a physics engine properly without a little knowledge of how things in real life interact, forces, etc.

julz

Formerly known as JulzMighty.
I made KarBOOM!
Re: Easiest genre for beginning designers? [Re: JibbSmart] #137587
06/22/07 14:42
06/22/07 14:42
New England
Jay_Watergate Offline OP

New England
Quote:

racing can be quite hard if you don't know your physics

I think I have that covered, as I really enjoyed/did well in physics class . I dont really know how all of the equations would translate into programming, but as long as I know how they work, it shouldnt be THAT hard... maybe. Anyways, if nothing else... Ill make a game with some of each of these genres, so that I dont get bogged down with any one project.

For example, the first level will be "fight your way to the car", level 2 will be "escape in the car", and level 3 will be... extreme tetris. Haha, I dont know, itll work itself out in the end. Thank you all for the help, i think ill start on this in the near future.

Regards

Re: Easiest genre for beginning designers? [Re: Jay_Watergate] #137588
06/22/07 16:58
06/22/07 16:58
Bay Area
Doug Offline
Senior Expert
Doug  Offline
Senior Expert

Bay Area
If you try to make three games you'll get nothing done.

If you want to use physics, try a basic car demo. Set up a simple level in WED with ramps, walls, loops, etc. Then try to create a car that is fun to drive.

Trust me, you can spend days doing this and, if you succeed, you'll have some very useful skills at the end of it.

Conitec's Free Resources:
User Magazine || Docs and Tutorials || WIKI
Re: Easiest genre for beginning designers? [Re: Doug] #137589
06/22/07 22:33
06/22/07 22:33
Germany
Error014 Offline
Expert
Error014  Offline
Expert

Germany
Aah... Thats not a bad idea, to start with something easy. Back then, when I started out - we are now entering the dark, misty past of mine, back when everything was better - I made a FPS. Ah yes. It didn't teach me a thing about programming, though, because I was following the tutorial (back then, I either was stupid, my english was horrible or the tutorial was not so great, or maybe a combination of those) and didn't do much on my own. Yeah, back then, I was certain I'd become a leveldesigner.

Hahahah! A leveldesigner! Me! Get it? Hah! Oh man, thats comedy gold. The very idea...!

If you don't want to learn programming (because you want to become a leveldesigner just like me, only, you know, you actually become one and don't turn into a "programmer"), then an FPS might be a good choice because the Templates work best for those. Uuuh... or do they? Honestly, its been a while since I used them. Like, A4. ..... Okay, so, ignore this advice

The point is, when you just start out, you can probably do any genre (besides racing, as this does present unique and not-so-easy challenges, what with all that physics!). Your first game won't be that great, anyway (sorry ). At least, it wasn't for me, and I even made a thread in which I showed that game to all you guys. However, due to the evil forces of this forum, it seems that it has been killed. Why? It was such a cool post Why did you kill it, Conitec? Did you do it, Doug? It was you, right? You sat down with an evil grin and then, you clicked on that button and... and it was... Nooooooooooooooooo!

Ahem. Where was I? Yes. Do a FPS, an RPG or whatever you want. Even if you won't finish it, you will certainly learn something. I think it is better if you try to create an RPG and fail, but have fun while doing it, then doing an FPS and maybe even finishing it, but thinking "man, I wish I would be creating the next Final Fantasy right now". Do whatever you want! You now have an engine right there! The world is yours! (Its not... its really not.). In most genres, you'll find a somewhat easy startingpoint. You DO make this FinalFantasy-RPG? Well, then try making the movement on the overworld/dungeon-map! It will teach you about collision, vectors and many, fun things! You do want to make that shooter? Well, you could certainly start with movement again. Etc.

So... do what you think is fun and what you want to do. You won't finish a good game, probably, but you'll have fun doing it.
Or try to make a minigame. I'm a minigamemaniac. I did a whole bunch of them (see my blog). And they were all awesome. So if you have a nice idea for a small minigame, then do that! These are easier to finish, which give you a nice motivationbonus. They are short enough that you are able to enter the last phase of "just applying the finishing touches... OH GOD NO WHAT KIND OF BUG IS THAT I WILL NEVER FINISH THIS". So its a good learning experience all around.
Then, you're just missing the organization of a large project. And if you can do that, then you're better then most people - at least, as far as gamedesign is concerned.
The big rule is: Have fun!

I'm still kinda sad that my wonderful post is gone. It's just not that one, either. I once made weird comics, which are also lost.
Okay, so that ones for the better.

Perhaps this post will get me points for originality at least.

Check out Dungeon Deities! It's amazing and will make you happy, successful and almost certainly more attractive! It might be true!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de