by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,094 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Audi A6 + rims [Re: AlexGFX] #138982
07/04/07 19:31
07/04/07 19:31
Antwerp,Belgium
frazzle Offline OP
Expert
frazzle  Offline OP
Expert

Antwerp,Belgium
Well it's logical that normal maps are used to created detail on existing polygons which your explanation confirms but say I follow up your point of view about the amount of polies, so I should get a rim with 2000 polies instead of 4000 polies instead of 9000 polies without smoothing and try to achieve the same result visualy ?? So the normal map would cover up the smoothing part and give it more detail on the existing amount of polies, untill now this should work for the rims but let's say we put up this statement to a single tire. I've worked out this idea in theory and I get a tire consisting out of 4000 polies but I wouldn't get any grip marks on the tire anymore. The amount of polies that are still present from the original tire will be detailed through a normal map but it wouldn't give the tire a realistic look because of the lack of the grip marks.

I know this is a far searched theory of mine but I'm no pro modeler, I'm not a bad modeler but also not a pro
modeler Maybe people who model 24/7 in the figure of speech way of the word, are able to make the same model I've did with halve the amount of polies which is possible as I mentioned for pro modelers. These people are used to make low-poly models and still achieve a high quality model. Or there is one way around the entire high poly stuff, just one word: 'Polybump'
It's a feature, developed by CRYTEK studios, for the CRYTEK engine and yes you've guessed it, they already used this plugin in Far Cry. So why not use this plugin you might ask you're self ?? Well read yourself, all of the info and documentation is available on this site

To make a long explanation short, I agrea with your point of view Alex but normal maps don't create new detail like my problem on the tire, it emphasises detail on existing polygons.

Cheers

Frazzle

Antec® Case
Intel® X58 Chipset
Intel® i7 975 Quad Core
8 GB RAM DDR3
SSD OCZ®-VERTEX2 3.5 x4 ; HD 600 GB
NVIDIA® GeForce GTX 295 Memory 1795GB
Re: Audi A6 + rims [Re: frazzle] #138983
07/05/07 04:50
07/05/07 04:50
Tennessee
AlexGFX Offline
Senior Developer
AlexGFX  Offline
Senior Developer

Tennessee
Quote:

Well it's logical that normal maps are used to created detail on existing polygons which your explanation confirms but say I follow up your point of view about the amount of polies, so I should get a rim with 2000 polies instead of 4000 polies instead of 9000 polies without smoothing and try to achieve the same result visualy ?? So the normal map would cover up the smoothing part and give it more detail on the existing amount of polies, untill now this should work for the rims but let's say we put up this statement to a single tire. I've worked out this idea in theory and I get a tire consisting out of 4000 polies but I wouldn't get any grip marks on the tire anymore. The amount of polies that are still present from the original tire will be detailed through a normal map but it wouldn't give the tire a realistic look because of the lack of the grip marks.

I know this is a far searched theory of mine but I'm no pro modeler, I'm not a bad modeler but also not a pro
modeler Maybe people who model 24/7 in the figure of speech way of the word, are able to make the same model I've did with halve the amount of polies which is possible as I mentioned for pro modelers. These people are used to make low-poly models and still achieve a high quality model. Or there is one way around the entire high poly stuff, just one word: 'Polybump'
It's a feature, developed by CRYTEK studios, for the CRYTEK engine and yes you've guessed it, they already used this plugin in Far Cry. So why not use this plugin you might ask you're self ?? Well read yourself, all of the info and documentation is available on this site

To make a long explanation short, I agrea with your point of view Alex but normal maps don't create new detail like my problem on the tire, it emphasises detail on existing polygons.

Cheers

Frazzle

Not true, normal maps do not only emphasis detail. They sometimes are used to "fake" detail. With normal maps, you could fake the rounding on the tire (thus cutting down on the number of sides you'd have to use; eliminating your delima); you could fake a lot of stuff. When I do the math, I come out to tires being 800-1200 each, and the car itself 2000 -- A little over my starting theory, but it's all good.

Besides, until you post those wireframes, we won't know if you wasted poly's or not. I obviously haven't ever modeled this vehicle, so I can't accurately say what it should be; I can only take a guess.

It's fine, I'm really not trying to start an argument. I know you're pretty new to modeling, and that's why I'm offering my advice. That's all it is "my advice".

Model looks great bro, keep up the good work

PS: One thing I am wondering: why did you model the holes? When they are on the car, they are going to have nuts over them. You could save a load of poly's there, depending on how you went about creating the holes.

Last edited by AlexGFX; 07/05/07 04:55.
Re: Audi A6 + rims [Re: AlexGFX] #138984
07/05/07 09:21
07/05/07 09:21
Antwerp,Belgium
frazzle Offline OP
Expert
frazzle  Offline OP
Expert

Antwerp,Belgium
Again your explanation is true and your theory seems quite logical but when I wrote 'emphasis' detail I ment 'fake' detail but I think I misinterpretated the word itself, I'm no native
Britain/Americain bro But I'll start no agrument myself too which wasn't my intention, I know you have more experience than me refering to your 8062 membership registration

Quote:

... know you're pretty new to modeling, and that's why I'm offering my advice. That's all it is "my advice".

Well, this is a subject I could make an argument of !! Just kidding
But serious, I not quite new to modeling, I've used 3ds max for +- 1 year now, there is another model I posted out once, just search through the showcase 1 section, I believe it was a gun ^^
Well your advice is very much appriciated but it wasn't my intention of making a low poly model, I just wanted to krick up my skills by using an exhibition model which mostly isn't low poly. But I'll try to give it a normal map next time, with the thought of modeling low poly if I find the time

Quote:

PS: One thing I am wondering: why did you model the holes? When they are on the car, they are going to have nuts over them. You could save a load of poly's there, depending on how you went about creating the holes.

I did this because of the faqt I again wanted to make it a very high detailed model without using normal maps. But yes, this is a superfluous thing which is avoidable when modeling low poly which wasn't my general intention

Thxn for your constant replies, kinda fun commenting on eachothers thoughts once and a while
Here are the wireframes as you've asked, sorry that is that late but it was quite late aswell yesterday evening

Cheers

Frazzle

Antec® Case
Intel® X58 Chipset
Intel® i7 975 Quad Core
8 GB RAM DDR3
Re: Audi A6 + rims [Re: frazzle] #138985
07/05/07 11:25
07/05/07 11:25
Germany, BaWü
aztec Offline

Expert
aztec  Offline

Expert

Germany, BaWü
nice you did that very well the wireframes look great

Visit:
schwenkschuster-design.de
Re: Audi A6 + rims [Re: aztec] #138986
07/05/07 13:55
07/05/07 13:55
Tennessee
AlexGFX Offline
Senior Developer
AlexGFX  Offline
Senior Developer

Tennessee
Oh, I wasn't aware that you weren't making a model for a game. I just assumed since this was a game creation forum. In that case, it's very nice.

My advice was geared toward game models. My bad.

The only thing I'd recommend now is that you weld all of the iterations inside the holes on the rim. It's straight, and those poly's do not change the shape at all.

Cheers,
Alex

Re: Audi A6 + rims [Re: AlexGFX] #138987
07/05/07 15:43
07/05/07 15:43
Antwerp,Belgium
frazzle Offline OP
Expert
frazzle  Offline OP
Expert

Antwerp,Belgium
Quote:

Oh, I wasn't aware that you weren't making a model for a game. I just assumed since this was a game creation forum. In that case, it's very nice.
My advice was geared toward game models. My bad.

Well I should have mentioned before too ^^

Quote:

The only thing I'd recommend now is that you weld all of the iterations inside the holes on the rim. It's straight, and those poly's do not change the shape at all.

You're right, I could change the amount of edges inside the hole if I was talking about a model that has got no iterations. I have given this model an iteration of 1 so if I would change the egdes inside the hole and smoothen up the model the holes would look terrible but thanks for your advice, I appriciate it that you gave me some helpful C&C

Cheers

Frazzle

Antec® Case
Intel® X58 Chipset
Intel® i7 975 Quad Core
8 GB RAM DDR3
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de