by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (AndrewAMD), 1,014 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 5
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: MSGP - character editor demonstration [Re: HeelX] #140797
07/13/07 00:08
07/13/07 00:08
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Hahaha great work! It even features a special 'emo haircut' for Michael I see. j/k

Seriously though, it's awesome. How do you change those eyebrows and mouths and stuff? Are those images you write into the skins or aren't they actually 'in' the model but placed upon them?

I'd love to hear some small details on how you've accomplished some of this (not interested in code, just techniques ),

Good luck with this,

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: MSGP - character editor demonstration [Re: PHeMoX] #140798
07/13/07 01:48
07/13/07 01:48
WA, Australia
J
JibbSmart Offline
Expert
JibbSmart  Offline
Expert
J

WA, Australia
extremely cool

were the eyes and eyebrows (and other texture features of the face that get moved around) done with a shader?

julz

Formerly known as JulzMighty.
I made KarBOOM!
Re: MSGP - character editor demonstration [Re: JibbSmart] #140799
07/13/07 14:15
07/13/07 14:15
H
HeelX Offline OP
Senior Expert
HeelX  Offline OP
Senior Expert
H

Hey, thanks to all of your comments!

"Did you made yourself in that video?"
No definitely NOT ^^

"it would be better to morph vertices on the face", " taller or shorter characters with different body shapes"
There are several reasons why I didn't researched this. First of all, A7 doesnt support at the moment morph targets (like in Sims 2, the source engine, Oblivion, etc.) and I wont use bones. Second: it doesn't fit to my desired design document. Thats it.

random button
I never used this in any game.. but it's a nice suggestion which will make it onto my list for later enhancements.

I think also you should sell it to the community somehow
I have different plans! The charactereditor will be released as a standalone app here for free so that you can play with that (secretely, I hope you will report bugs, too ). This will take some time, though, but this will be exciting, I guess!

"It should be possible to rotate the elements."
This is technically possible and I will consider this somehow.

"The style is like Error indicated Wii like but I like it sofar because it's simple and it seems FUN"
I had to take into account all possible and available preexisting solutions other developers made so far and it turned out that I do not have to reinvent the wheel to achieve what I want. The current solution is indeed a mixup of several elements which obviously appeared somewhere somehow - but in the end I'm lucky that it works, it's simple and it's fun.

"but *yawn* every little RPG offers such a thing"
I think this is not a fashion nowadays, but a substantial progress that games allow easy user customized content creation. Even if it is not 100% necessary for a game, it's first of it all fun for the user (and an upgrade for the game) and a selling point In my case I'm aiming with this inhouse tool into another direction, but I dont know how it turns out so I stop talking large about this ^^

"i'm curious about the "import wizard""
importing is really easy. You can do it as well manually, but there are so many dumb people out there.. well, you know the rest of the story ^^

"I'd love to hear some small details on how you've accomplished some of this"
First of all: I do not use shaders (except that ffp from the WIKI to avoid sorting errors)! Second: to achieve the realtime preview, I use render targets to combine all elements dynamically - though, you might expect a frame drop,.. no, it runs smoothly with about 100-150 fps on my crumply machine. The savefile per character contains all asset and texturesettings, so that I can rebuild the original file in the character editor, but for the use ingame the editor will export baked and compressed dds textures for faster loading, more performance and less memory consumption.

If you like to see it in realtime, come to the Dusmania I'll try to add some more little features until then, so, well.. have good day ... thanks again for all critics.

Cheers!

Re: MSGP - character editor demonstration [Re: HeelX] #140800
07/13/07 17:00
07/13/07 17:00
H
HeelX Offline OP
Senior Expert
HeelX  Offline OP
Senior Expert
H

I was a bit sloppy during the last weeks with changelogging, so I updated my changelog which can be also viewed online. Just follow the link in my signature.

Though, it's in german. There are some more details about it, if you carefully read it. Newest entries at the top.

Re: MSGP - character editor demonstration [Re: HeelX] #140801
07/15/07 08:12
07/15/07 08:12
V
vartan_s Offline
vartan_s  Offline
V

Great work, (hopefully it didn't distract you at all from university studies ). One thing which makes me curious is how well animations will work with it after your done. Also interesting to know is exactly how realistic the end result will be. Well anyways maybe all will be revealed in your next video?

Re: MSGP - character editor demonstration [Re: vartan_s] #140802
07/15/07 08:14
07/15/07 08:14
Germany, BaWü
aztec Offline

Expert
aztec  Offline

Expert

Germany, BaWü
thats real pro work

Visit:
schwenkschuster-design.de
Re: MSGP - character editor demonstration [Re: aztec] #140803
07/15/07 08:31
07/15/07 08:31
Berlin
EX Citer Offline
Expert
EX Citer  Offline
Expert

Berlin
very cool. But I would prefer some more sexy style. You know, super mario is cartoony too, but he is still sexy (peach)

About the balancing. There are comming more and more multiplayer games with these balancing settings. But I think that idea is not good.
1. Because there is one perfect setting which everyone uses.
2. It´s not really fun to do such a (detailed) kind of setup before every map.

I think it is better if:
1. you realy want to set the points for balancing use less numbers. Like point 1 min point 10 max (no decimals!)
2. balancing not straight. For example, bowser in mario kart is much much more heavier as mario but got a little more speed and more bumping power. Improvements don´t have to be equal to each other. If I got good reflexes I am good with a worser control and a little more speed or acceleration.
3. Not too indiviual. I think it would be more fun if I create a fatty character for high speed with sloppy controls. I mean my character should react on the cart at least a little. Otherwise it´s strange. And I can build a certain character on purpose.
4. if you make indiviual speed and acceleration settings for each player, then why not make items to collect to build on the cart. So the player can only change his cart if he has the item he wants. Otherwise he has to trade or something, or wait till he collects the thing he wants. I am not talking about items with only advantages. I mean items which raise the top speed for example and lower the acceleration, or raise the weight, or redeem the grip.

:L
Re: MSGP - character editor demonstration [Re: EX Citer] #140804
07/15/07 22:54
07/15/07 22:54
H
HeelX Offline OP
Senior Expert
HeelX  Offline OP
Senior Expert
H

Animation works since all models share synchronous animation frames, I see no reason why it shouldn't work. I will show this together with some other new things in a new video when it's done. About the look: well, these are only test models, but they are indicating, that I will target a comic style. I think it will fit, for sure.

EX Citer, you made some very good points about balancing. I will consider these points somehow. Though, the points are integers - I just interpolate them

Re: MSGP - character editor demonstration [Re: HeelX] #140805
07/16/07 18:03
07/16/07 18:03
Tennessee, US
Ahriman Offline
Ahriman  Offline

Tennessee, US
Thats very impressive work so far, keep it up!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de