Hilbert's Hotel

Diskussionsforum zur Unendlichkeit: Theismus, Atheismus, Primzahlen, Unsterblichkeit, das Universum...
Discussing Infinity: theism and atheism, prime numbers, immortality, cosmology, philosophy...

Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (AndrewAMD, Nymphodora, VoroneTZ), 1,485 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Time destroys it's plans at the reactionary table #141601
07/17/07 12:41
07/17/07 12:41
A
Arathas Offline OP
Arathas  Offline OP
A

Hi together,

just found this forum and instantly fell in love with its topics.

Is it better to post in english or in german here? Are there more english readers around?

I wanted to share some thoughts with you regarding "time". Some theories I had and some questions as well.

So ... if we take "Schrödinger's Cat" for example: It's said that you don't know whether the cat's dead or alive. And you only can see it when you open the box and look at the cat (which, at this time, you should hope to be dead, otherwise you'll have some serious claws-in-flesh-incident in your near future).

But - all of this theory depends upon the flow of time. Time *must* flow straightforward to make this theory work. But DOES it flow straightforward?

If time's just another dimension just as 2D and 3D, it's not that straightforward, because there's no end you could point to and say: "Hey, that's the end of time and there's the beginning."
It's as if some cartoon-character in 2D would claim that there's world's end in front of him, but the person who drew the cartoon knows it's just the edge of the page.

It's just us humans who see time as a flow into one direction. If we could look upon Schrödinger's Cat as we can look upon several comic-book pages at once, we'd see the cat going into the box as well as the closed box AND the opened box. All at the same time. So there wouldn't be any uncertaincy at all.

Question is: IS time straighforward? Or isn't it? AFAIK they know by now that time is not a straight line, it's bent. So ... isn't it all a question of *how much* it's bent?

I think all this theory-stuff is strongly connected to the question whether the universe is infinite or not. If it's infinite, time'd be infinite, too. And since there's no beginning or end to something infinite, that would prove right the theory that it's just us humans who are too dimension-restricted ...

BTW, are there any publications about this issue? Some books that try to explain time somehow?

Re: Time destroys it's plans at the reactionary ta [Re: Arathas] #141602
07/17/07 13:26
07/17/07 13:26
Netherlands
Joozey Offline
Expert
Joozey  Offline
Expert

Netherlands
First of all: English plz! There are alot of german people in here but like 99% does read english, whileas the english people mostly do not read german .
I hope I interpreted 'straightforward' the right way in the following explanations/theories, else my blabla is kinda pointless .

IMO time is the dimension before 1D, 2D and 3D. There are theories that you can go back or forward in time but does that mean that time is not straightforward? Or is there something else they found out that time cannot be straightforward? If being able to go back and forth in time means time is not straight, I put a questionmark for this statement.

I don't know too much about time, but I thought that you could only go forth in time, and not back, that is, not back in time and be on the same place. If you go back, your position would be at a point as far away as you went back in time. So it would take time to go back and when going with the speed of light you'd end up at the same time as you left there. So, in this theory, going back does not mean that time is not straightforward.

Does going forth imply that time is not straightforward? If you go forward in time, it could, and this is just a wild speculation of me, be the case that not only time is bended, but all dimensions are bended at that place. (seems logical to me: when you shrink a 1D line, you'd make a rectangle out of the square, and if you shrink the square, you'd deform the cube, so why not deforming the dimensions when deforming time?). Goes for vice versa as well, and this probably is the case too. When you shrink the cube, you shrink the square, the line and time as well. If we have a lot of gravity at one place, so much that even light can not escape (a black hole), maybe the cube is deformed by the gravity and causing a deformation in the timeline as well. But this doesn't mean time is not straightforward. When everything is bended there, time would relative be straight again, eventhough it looks like bended from the outside. (Like the person who falls into the black hole falls with a constantly increasing speed, whileas the person who looks at it sees the person falling with a decreasing speed).

So maybe this was one big bullpoo talk, and maybe I said something usefull . But this is how I see time atm. (Though I didn't involve movement-slows-down-time)

Last edited by Jostie; 07/17/07 13:34.

Click and join the 3dgs irc community!
Room: #3dgs
Re: Time destroys it's plans at the reactionary ta [Re: Joozey] #141603
07/17/07 14:05
07/17/07 14:05
Deutsch Niedersachsen
Puppeteer Offline
Expert
Puppeteer  Offline
Expert

Deutsch Niedersachsen
Quote:

I don't know too much about time, but I thought that you could only go forth in time, and not back, that is, not back in time and be on the same place.

We only can get forward because it is an physical constraint for us to go "forward" you can call it a way of seeing things too:
We see out of our sight in time-"forward" direction. This may sounds weird but it makes sense:
Take a look at this example:

This is you: *

You are moving forward:
* 0sec |
* 1sec |
* 2sec |
* 3sec |
* 4sec |
* 5sec |
* 6sec |x-dimension

Now we add the time dimension:
Code:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7
________________ time
|x-dimension

So this is a picture of you how an 4-dimensional thing or animal would see it.

Every step you ever did and will do in only one frame or however you want to call it!
That means there is somekind of desteny because a 4-dimensional-creature can see what you will do, what you are doing, what have done....
maybe god is such a creature....

Formally known as Omega
Avatar randomness by Quadraxas & Blade
http://omegapuppeteer.mybrute.com
Re: Time destroys it's plans at the reactionary ta [Re: Puppeteer] #141604
07/17/07 14:11
07/17/07 14:11
A
Arathas Offline OP
Arathas  Offline OP
A

Hey, that's exactly what I meant! Nice graphical display, couldn't have done it better.

Re: Time destroys it's plans at the reactionary ta [Re: Arathas] #141605
07/17/07 14:24
07/17/07 14:24
NRW, Deutschland
inFusion Offline
User
inFusion  Offline
User

NRW, Deutschland
In my oppinion "time" is based on motion. If there is no motion, there is no time.
Because time is something subjective, created by humans - think about this: If nothing would move, not

even the electrons in your brain, then noone would realize that everything stopped (you wouldn't be able

to think without electron movement in your brain) and nothing would change. There would still be matter,

but there would be no time.
So in a black hole, because of the strong gravity that stops everything, even light, time stands still.

If you know a little bit more about physics you could even explain the phenomenon of time slowing down

at greater speeds, eventually stoping at light-speed.

Imagen electrons revolving around nucleons. You know that moving in circles is a movement that requires constant acceleration. You also know that the energy required to accelerate something depends on the on its current speed (because of its inertia).

Now imagen you are flying at nearly the speed of light and the electrons are revolving around your nucleon, partly in the SAME direction as you are flying and thus would have to got FASTER than light to get around the nucleon if they would travel at a constant speed.

As we all know this is not possible, so the electron movement is slowed down aswell as any other movement inside the spacecraft -> slower movement of the electrical impulses in your brain = slower thinking -> "time" is slowed down.

Having a pretty hard time to explain what I mean in english, but there you go...

"Wer nicht mit der Zeit geht, muss mit der Zeit gehen" - Bernd Stromberg
----
www.kihaki.de/reincarnation
Re: Time destroys it's plans at the reactionary ta [Re: inFusion] #141606
07/17/07 14:26
07/17/07 14:26
Deutsch Niedersachsen
Puppeteer Offline
Expert
Puppeteer  Offline
Expert

Deutsch Niedersachsen
There's still somethings moveing:
You are always moving through the time:
Code:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7
________________ time
|
|
|
|
|
|
|x-dimension

Formally known as Omega
Avatar randomness by Quadraxas & Blade
http://omegapuppeteer.mybrute.com
Re: Time destroys it's plans at the reactionary ta [Re: Puppeteer] #141607
07/17/07 14:47
07/17/07 14:47
Netherlands
Joozey Offline
Expert
Joozey  Offline
Expert

Netherlands
Quote:

We only can get forward because it is an physical constraint for us to go "forward".

Though in a different thread someone explained that theoretically going back in time would be possible, using a strong rotating gravity field. You just appear on a place away from your startpoint depending on how far you got back in time.

Quote:

There's still somethings moveing:
You are always moving through the time:

Time is slowed down when moving, this has been proven with clocks on earth and in space circling our planet, in the end the time was slowed down on the clock which had been circling with high speed in space. Time will stand still when moving with light speed.

I understand that what you say, a 4 dimensional being would see us doing everything at the same time. But in the last graphic you drew, you are actually saying that every dimension is moving through time. Time is the first dimension here and everyone in every other dimension would then experience time as the same thing, so a 4 dimensional being would not see time different than we do (I mean, we see a line as a line, and I'm pretty sure mr square would see a line as a line as well)

Last edited by Jostie; 07/17/07 14:59.

Re: Time destroys it's plans at the reactionary ta [Re: Joozey] #141608
07/17/07 14:52
07/17/07 14:52
Z
zazang Offline
User
zazang  Offline
User
Z

Time is just a measurement of any change.Without change,there is
no idea of time.The change could be chemical,mechanical,emotional
and wot not..but the key is that its a change.Thinking of it like
an arrow is just an intuitive perception that the change is taking
place from one state to the other.

I like good 'views' because they have no 'strings' attached..
Re: Time destroys it's plans at the reactionary ta [Re: zazang] #141609
07/17/07 17:15
07/17/07 17:15
NRW, Deutschland
inFusion Offline
User
inFusion  Offline
User

NRW, Deutschland
Quote:

Time is just a measurement of any change.Without change,there is
no idea of time.The change could be chemical,mechanical,emotional
and wot not..but the key is that its a change.Thinking of it like
an arrow is just an intuitive perception that the change is taking
place from one state to the other.

Exactly. That's what I was trying to explain
Thus if there is no motion (no "change") "time" stands still.

"Wer nicht mit der Zeit geht, muss mit der Zeit gehen" - Bernd Stromberg
----
www.kihaki.de/reincarnation
Re: Time destroys it's plans at the reactionary ta [Re: inFusion] #141610
07/17/07 17:22
07/17/07 17:22
Netherlands
Joozey Offline
Expert
Joozey  Offline
Expert

Netherlands
Quote:

Thus if there is no motion (no "change") "time" stands still

Yes this is absolute zero, so I guess time stands still at lightspeed and at absolute zero this is getting odd.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absolute_zero
Pretty cool

Last edited by Jostie; 07/17/07 17:23.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  jcl, Lukas, old_bill, Spirit 

Kompaktes W�rterbuch des UnendlichenCompact Dictionary of the Infinite