by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (M_D), 1,430 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Getting object coordinates in MED #146935
08/09/07 16:47
08/09/07 16:47
At the Gates of Midian
Illegitima Offline OP
Illegitima  Offline OP

At the Gates of Midian
Hello guys,
I'm having a funny little problem here. I've exported from max a whole level, which is actually a room with some tables, chairs and some other small objects. When imported in MED, I am able to select each of these objects, BUT I need to know their separate coordinates. I'll explain why. I've previously exported all the objects, as different MDL files, and what I want is to use an XML file to build my levels giving each and every small object its coordinates and thus to build my level dynamically. (and not having a big MDL file with the whole) Also, the coordinate system in MAX is not the same as the one in MED, I already tried that.
So please give me the little hint. I know it is obvious that any 3D software should be able to give the coordinates of the objects in the scene, but I just didn't figured out how to get them...

Thanks in advance!

N.

Re: Getting object coordinates in MED [Re: Illegitima] #146936
08/09/07 19:04
08/09/07 19:04
G
Grafton Offline
User
Grafton  Offline
User
G

I know med supports polygon groups, but I do not think it supports multiple models.
So your room and furnature will be one big model in med, and each polygon group
will not have a center other than the origin.

You could put a vertex at the origin of each piece of furnature before
combining the room and exporting to med, then you could move your mouse over
this vertex and note the coordinates in meds lower left to find what the models
offset would be.

It might be easier to create a level editor to create and place objects, then
output their model type, pos and rotation to a text file. I did it that way
once for a huge terrain with trees and rocks.

Not two, not one.
Re: Getting object coordinates in MED [Re: Grafton] #146937
08/09/07 19:34
08/09/07 19:34
At the Gates of Midian
Illegitima Offline OP
Illegitima  Offline OP

At the Gates of Midian
Thanks for the fast reply, Josiah. Unfortunately I didn't get the point. Let me explain better.

I have a room built in 3DS Max. I have all objects from it exported separately and created as game studio objects (table.mdl, chair.mdl, laptop.mdl... and so on) They have their anchor point in the middle of the object. So far so good.

Now I need the coordinates of all these objects in the room, so I can easily place them in the right place in the room level. The problem is that the coordinates from MAX, which I can easily get, have nothing to do with the ones in 3DGS. That's why I exported the whole room in one file, in order to determine each objects coordinates using the system of 3DGS in MED. It seems though that I cannot get this information (which is ridiculous for any 3D modeler, that's why I though that I have missed something).

We're having a xml file, containing the positions, scales and rotaions of all objects and the game will automaticly place them using this file (if we have the coords of course).

I just need to know how to get their position in the space.

Thanks again.

P.S. If you tell me what coordinate system MED uses, it will also help me.

Moderated by  HeelX, rvL_eXile 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de